Health Care.. A mess for years

buddy

Seasoned Expediter
IN my previous life i worked in the health care industry for over 20 years and occasionally I'm asked " why did you leave such a good profession?". And I explain to them that when I went into the field I belived in providing the best patient care i could, however those ideals soon changed.
Over the years ( more so in the last few decades) Health Care is BIG Bis. and with that brought many changes on what and how we could treat patients. Then, like today those that have it (wealth and /or Gold Card insurance) get the best and the rest of us get limited or poor services. I dont care what others might say but its the fact.

Look around, ask someone who has been injured on the job or is suffering from an illness resulting from thier job and ask them how workmans comp is working for them. Ask the senior citizen how medicare has changed over the last couple of years.
And then go ask someone who has the top of the line insurance how things are. For that matter ask me how things are without insurance.

Yes thier are many senarios we all can come up or stories we have heard and I'm sure you will agree with me, It's a MESS.

I know this to be true, For years we have heard politicains campain about health care and once elected very little if anything was done. For years lawyers, and lobbiest have fought hard for big medical companies all for the sake of stock holders. For years good intentional medical staff (including doctors) have had to learn and adapt the to the insurance coverage programs.
My point is that Health Care is a Big MESS , it has taken several years to get this way and to fix it, there is not a quick cure (punn intended).

I May not agree with the current administration , but I do give the president credit for bringing it to the forefront and sticking with it. Others before him realized that going down this road could be a political disaster and thus avoided or steered gently away from it.

JUST SAYING

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I don't think anyone thinks that healthcare does not need reform, but if you think it is bad now, wait until the gov gets it fingers into it as they are trying to do now, and when they have fully take it over..as that last part is all this current issue is setting up, a single payer system that is totally a "free government system....that is exactly what barry told Denny on the airplane on the way to Cleveland the other day, thats why he is changing his vote...

Oh and as for the taxes we will be paying for the next 3-6 yrs before this mess goes into affect, you all do realize that those funds go to the "general fund"....they will then spend it in any way they want...there will be no funds set aside that were collected from the people to start this up...there will be no "lock box".......

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
To get a preview of what ObamaCare will do for us, we have only to look at the state of Massachusetts - the same state that just elected a GOP candidate to replace the late Sen. Kennedy. The Wall St. Journal has an enlightening article about RomneyCare, which is very similar to that of Obama's proposal:

"While Massachusetts' uninsured rate has dropped to around 3%, 68% of the newly insured since 2006 receive coverage that is heavily or completely subsidized by taxpayers. While Mr. Romney insisted that everyone should pay something for coverage, that is not the way his plan has turned out. More than half of the 408,000 newly insured residents pay nothing, according to a February 2010 report by the Massachusetts Health Connector, the state's insurance exchange..."

"A typical family of four today faces total annual health costs of nearly $13,788, the highest in the country. Per capita spending is 27% higher than the national average..." (emphasis mine)

"Some Massachusetts safety-net hospitals that treat a disproportionate number of lower-income and uninsured patients are threatening bankruptcy. They still are treating a large number of people without health insurance, but the payments they receive for uncompensated care have been cut under the reform deal..."

The above quotations point out only three important points made in the article, but they refute every claim made by Obama and his liberal minions. The entire article is well worth taking the time to read.

Grace-Marie Turner: The Failure of RomneyCare - WSJ.com

Also consider that Obama and the Speaker of the House are willing to totally ignore the Constitution and the laws of the land to impose major legislation that couldn't pass a regular vote and that is solidly opposed by the American public. Keep in mind that if the Bush administration had tried something like this the MSM would have ripped them to shreds. Instead, the media for the most part just turn a blind eye to the process about to take place. Call or e-mail your Congressmen - now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country.

CAPITOL HILL SWITCHBOARD 877.762.8762

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
The biggest reason for the healthcare mess is......wait for it....here it is.....GOVERNMENT REGULATION!!!

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
If the Democrats succeed in their scheme to socialize medicine, it will forever change the relationship between government and the governed. Maybe there will be mass noncompliance and/or civil disobedience. Once this monstrosity is in place, there's no going back. Upside, we can sit by the fire someday and tell our grandchildren how free people used to live.

BTW, the New England Journal of Medicine reports a survey of doctors wherein as many as half of responding physicians indicate they will consider leaving the practice of medicine altogether if Obamacare goes through. Doctors don't like the idea of losing control and profitability. Sounds similar to truckers.

Is Obama waging war on profit?

1CHINGON

Seasoned Expediter
The biggest reason for the healthcare mess is......wait for it....here it is.....GOVERNMENT REGULATION!!!

Why would anyone complain about ensuring that everyone is cared for? The problem is more profound than taking a few of your hard earned dollars away. Why keep beating the bush and not offer one solution to the problem? Why would anyone not want everyone that needs medical care to receive it? Why not have a healthy society?

If a few of my dollars are needed to help a system that cares for the sick, including myself, so be it.

No one has a soution due to so many special interests. But ensuring the sick are cared for will help any driver out on the road. I'd hate to see anyone exposed to any virulent disease while at a pu/del and then lose out on income because they are to sick to drive.

Ensuring that all that need medical care is a solution.
St. Charles and St. Vincents do enough charity work.
But they even have limits on how many indigents can be helped.
Limiting costs that have grown out of control to the realities of our economy may also be a solution.

Complaining will get us no where. Call your legislator and offer solutions. They do not care about your taxes, they care about solutions.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Why would anyone complain about ensuring that everyone is cared for?

No complaints here, if the people want to be 'cared' for. This means that all bad behaviors, like drinking and drugs will be dealt with without the compassion that is presently there.

The problem is more profound than taking a few of your hard earned dollars away. Why keep beating the bush and not offer one solution to the problem?

Solutions?

OK here are a few -

1 - allow me to buy insurance across state lines.

2 - limit the treatment of drug and alcohol abusers to one round and that's it.

3 - limit mandates from states - or at least harmonize them with options to buy additional insurance to cover sex change operations, tattoo removal and other "rights"

4 - get the doctors, nurses and AMA out of the payment decision chain

5 - get rid of a lot of Medicare/Medicaid and allow people who can afford their own insurance after 65 to be able to buy it and drop Medicare altogether.

Why would anyone not want everyone that needs medical care to receive it?

I am all for that but with the limits I described.

Why not have a healthy society?

We could if the lazy, the idiots and the "it's my right" crowd would just abide by simple rules and eat good food, exercise and live without stress - a lot like the Swiss do today.

If a few of my dollars are needed to help a system that cares for the sick, including myself, so be it.

But it isn't a few dollars, its trillions of dollars. WE already wasted TRILLIONS of dollars on it.

The money spent in these government intervention for any solution costs more than if it is done by the private sector.

What has government done right?

NOT A THING.

No one has a soution due to so many special interests. But ensuring the sick are cared for will help any driver out on the road.

Not really true, the solutions proposed by the government are not solutions, they are take overs.

Solutions are simple - get government out of the way and out of the insurance business.

This work is a business and there is an occupational hazard involved.

I'd hate to see anyone exposed to any virulent disease while at a pu/del and then lose out on income because they are to sick to drive.

Been there, done that and was insured. Not a big deal being in the emergency room with or without insurance.

Indigents?

We don't have them here, do we?

Limiting costs that have grown out of control to the realities of our economy may also be a solution.

That's a backwards solution, read my list above.

The one issue I find frustrating is the doctors are being held up as experts when many of them do not have a clue what's going on or know enough about the system to understand what is a solution and what isn't.

Complaining will get us no where. Call your legislator and offer solutions. They do not care about your taxes, they care about solutions.

They don't care about us, our money or the solutions - THEY CARE ABOUT POWER.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Why would anyone complain about ensuring that everyone is cared for? The problem is more profound than taking a few of your hard earned dollars away. Why keep beating the bush and not offer one solution to the problem? Why would anyone not want everyone that needs medical care to receive it? Why not have a healthy society?

You didn't read the article did you? Neither RomneyCare nor ObamaCare will guarantee care for everyone that is (a) up to today's standards and (b) structured to be self-supporting.

"...68% of the newly insured since 2006 receive coverage that is heavily or completely subsidized by taxpayers..."

Fact is, anyone in this country that needs care gets it - even the illegal Mexicans. All one has to do is show up at the right emergency room.

It'll take more than a few of your dollars, and that still won't be enough. Go back and read the part that says the avg. family of four in Mass pays almost $14K per year in medical costs - that's 27% higher than the national average. You can bet that any health care administered by the Federal Govt. will be substandard and rationed.

ObamaCare has no limit on the indigents that will be helped. You and I will pay for them. See the above quote from the article.

Sorry - they don't give a d*mn about your solutions. They care about your taxes and most of all your VOTE. They need to be told that they will be voted out of office if they vote for socialized medicine. They need to kill this bill so health insurance reform can be done in a rational and realistic manner. Contrary to what the Democrat leadership claims, the GOP has offered a number of more modest and financially realistic solutions and they have been frozen out. This situation can be changed in Nov.

CAPITOL HILL SWITCHBOARD 877.762.8762