Headlight Restoration

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It would be rain X and windex.what I use lol

When I first cleaned off the bugs with rain x before I began my restoration, I was surprised that they did already look better with just a little elbow grease. More so then with just my normal spray and wipe. But I hate using elbow grease :)

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
When I first cleaned off the bugs with rain x before I began my restoration, I was surprised that they did already look better with just a little elbow grease. More so then with just my normal spray and wipe. But I hate using elbow grease :)
But it would be about 18.50 profit for 10 minutes of elbow grease sounds like a good deal to me

Reactions: Treadmill

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
..... But I hate using elbow grease :)
Elbow-Grease.png

Reactions: RoadTime

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
2013-01-05_17-06-06_633a_zps0f53xykb.jpg

2013-01-05_18-07-19_464a_zps3s6bvjjk.jpg

This is what a few minutes of wet sanding with successive finer grit sandpapers, followed up with liquid polishing compound, will do to plastic.

Reactions: TruckingSurv

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Sounds like too much work.
For a Victorinox Swiss Army knife, even a badly worn one like that, it's about 5 minutes from start to finish, going up though the 4 or 5 grit levels. For a headlamp it's certainly more work, half hour, but that can be sped up with a drill or a power sander, as long as you have the finer grits available. A drill will certainly make quick time of the end polishing on the latter stages.

I give my Swiss Army Knife to the TSA every few years so I don't have to worry about keeping it shiny. I just buy a new one.
You can probably find it on eBay. That's where TSA-confiscated knives go, usually.

HaHa, my current one is getting dull, I need to fly someplace, too much effort to sharpen, LOL
Learning to use a sharpening stone does require effort, but once you know how, sharpening a Swiss Army Knife is so simple that it requires more effort to get the stone out of whatever drawer you have it stored in than it does to sharpen the blade. If you run in to me out here I'll sharpen it for you. I have a couple of sharpening stones with me. Use Google or the Yellow Pages app to find a knife sharpening service nearby. Call a True Value hardware store or a saw store and see if they'll sharpen the blade. Ask a random person who looks like they hunt or fish to sharpen it for you. Ask the waitress if the cook will sharpen it for you.

Reactions: Jr1980

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I used to deliver to the old pig factory in South St. Paul 2 or 3 times a month. It was just up the street from Stockmans. After delivering I would go to the breakroom to use the pay phone. There was always guys up there sharpening their knives and I would have them sharpen my pocket knife.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Once you have an edge on the knife, you can keep the edge by periodically "steeling" it on the unfinished top edge of a car/truck/van driver or passenger window, the bottom un-glazed ring of a ceramic coffee cup, or even a wet river rock. The fine edge of an emery board works, too.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
for all the time and money I spent on these so called restoration kits...every time the cloud came back.....cheaper to buy new ones off E-Bay and be done with it...salvage the bulbs from the old unit and toss it....
Several years ago I bought a set of Eagle Eye replacement headlight assemblies for my Chevy Express. $78 delivered to my door. The only difference I noticed from the OEM headlights was that the beam was slightly clipped or flat at the top. Similar to a fog light pattern but not as radical.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

TeamHutch

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had a guy at a truck stop show me he used bug spray with high amounts of deet. It looked like it worked pretty good. Have not had a chance to try myself though

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
That's the same as the old oil trick, with the added benefit (or detriment depending how often it's used) of DEET's plastic-dissolving properties. If you buff if off quickly and thoroughly enough, it will have dissolved the top layer of plastic and gotten rid of (most of) the oxidation. Leave it on too long and you'll just have a really, really cloudy lens.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've had plastic and glass--- right now, my Chevy is old-fashioned enough to have the rectangular glass bulbs.

For some reason, glass isn't nearly as subject to pitting and getting dull as plastic is. It's the same nasty road grit being sprayed up on the lights, so--- plastic is more vulnerable.

Cheaper, too. I rarely pay more than 20 or so for a new headlight. When I had the Sprinter, I had to replace the left headlight unit (the mountings had been damaged in an accident before I bought the van) and I remember the unit cost me a couple hundred. I don't know if they cost that much on non-Mercedes vehicles, but I have an idea that replacing the entire assembly because it's dull is not cheap.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Designer headlights I think are a bunch of crap give me glass any day wish it was an option!

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The way to clear up the ploy lenses is as follows.

1) Wash the front clip / hood & lights.
2) Clean with glass cleaner
3) clean with isopropyl alcohol
4Wet sand with 3000 grit grey type emery USE LOTS OF WATER this will lubricate and clean the lense, rinse the paper often
Repeat process until totally clear or as clear as you can get them.
When finaly clear apply 3 coats of high quality wax every six months
Problem solved.