Headlight Lens Rejuvenation

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Our headlight lenses were in horrible condition. 770,000 miles of salt, sand, bugs and road dirt had really taken a toll on them. I was to the point of buying new ones, then a product that works was recommended to me.
It's made by 3M and called the Lens Renewal Kit. It comes with everything you need except a battery drill, masking tape, spray bottle of water and a towel for buffing.
It took about an hour and the headlights are back to about 95% of there original condition.
This product really worked for me and I highly recommend it to anyone that needs to rejuvenate there headlights.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Always curious if it worked. Thanks. How long ago did you do it? I wonder if it will hold up?

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I did it yesterday.
They make a Plastic Polish and Protectant that helps to keep them looking clean longer.

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
I have always put a thick coat of carnuba wax on my headlights everytime I wax the Sprinter, which happens 3-4 times a year. They still look nice and clear after 5 years and 437k miles.

Maybe waxing the headlights after using the 3M kit will help the rejuvination last longer.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Stay away from the kits or methods that recommend using ultra-fine grit (2500-3000) sandpaper. I tried using one of those and it ruined the lens I treated - now I've got to replace the whole thing.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
This kit uses sanding disks, finishing disks, a refining disk and rubbing compound.
The first one sanded the lens and made it look like frosted glass. That worried me but I kept on following the instructions. The next made it really smooth but not clear. The refining disk made it clear and the rubbing compound really cleaned it up.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That sounds encouraging - I think I'll go get the kit and go through the whole process. Hopefully, that will get the lens in good shape at a fraction of the lens replacement cost.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I had to replace one of my headlamp assemblies. It was a stark difference between the new one and the old one. Enough of a difference that for a minute or two I thought about forking over another $250 to replace the old one, too. But I used a Lens Renewal kit, instead. I don't remember what it was, but I got it at Autozone at the recommendation of one of the guys there. A thick liquid rubbing compound, almost like a liquid wax. A lot of elbow grease and a couple of hours later, good as new. :)

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This Is How The Pros Do It. If they want happy regular customers.
The problem.
First, most headlight as well as plastic perscription gasses lenses are made of pollycarbonate or P.C. This material gets its impact restisance from being a soft material. I know, it sounds backwards but its how it works anyone who has ever tried to work it P.C. being soft will abssorb a stone at 75 mph but dust, dirt, and road grit will beat the hell out of them.

The tip.
IN MOST CASES IT IS EMBEDED ROAD GRIME.
TRY TO AVOID OR AS A LAST DITCH USE AN ABRASIVE WHEEL/DISKS KIT AS THEY CAN REMOVE TOO MUCH MATERIAL THINNING YOUR LENSES OR FURTHER SCRATCH YOUR LENSES. Rember these kits are ment for daily drivers that travel far less miles than we do.
Think return on investment. new head lamp lenses every year vs twenty bucks and half an hour or so of your time. Besides for the same price you can buy enouth product to detail the whole vehicle not just the lights.
A couple times a year or when you wax your truck grab a bottle of rubbing alchohol, polishing compound, rubbing compound if needed. wax and Rainex.
A good quality POLLISHING COMPUOND I use old number seven green can. I think its a Turtle Wax product you can buy it anywhere it has enough grit to pollish the lamps clear. If your lenses are realy beat up use a RUBBING COMPOUND then pollishing compound then wax or better yet Rainex
A good wax should be smooth and no grit at all carnuba is an exelent choice.
With any good polishing compound you should not feel grit just a wet powdery feel.
Rubbing compound will have a gritty feel to it so go easy as you can scratch if you get too heavy handed.

As I mention in my other posts I do not acept responsibility if anything goes wrong, gets dammaged, or injury/death you do this at your own risk.

Dirrectiions.
Its A little work but the results are worth it.
(1) Wash the vehicle.
(2) Clean all lenses with rubbing alchoholl and a white terry cloth towel do this untill the towel shows no more dirt or oil.
(3) Use POLLISHING COMPOUND. with a clean damp terry cloth wax aplicator gently rub untill the compound lifts off. you might need to do this a couple times to get them clear.
If the lenses are exessively cloudy CAREFULLY use rubbing compound gentle hand preasure. then pollishing compound.
(4) Wipe cleaned lenses with rubbing alcoholl
(5) Last, use rainex to seal it at least two or three coats.
B.T.W. Dont Forget The Tail and Fog Lights

Thats it, and you dont have to worry about dammaging your lenses. I do this twice year my rig is an 03 international, I bought it used still original lenses, clear as chrystal.

Good luck.

P.S. These same products will do the rest of your rig too.

Last edited:

pb4ugo

Active Expediter
This is kind of my area of specialty, though coming late to this thread, there is not much to add. It amazes me, though when I see vehicles on the road that can barely see since all their light is obscured by the yellowing.

First, the plastic polishes (like Meguiar's Plastix) really do work as maintenance items and less extensive restoration. Like in Bob Wolf's post, doing it frequently is the key. I wouldn't use rubbing or polishing compound without following with a plastic polish, though, as that is scratching the lens in an inconsistent manner. In his case, he is filling in and sealing those scratches with Rain X so they disappear.

Please note, sometimes it is just necessary to scratch them via sanding. I've started as course as 100 grit on some lenses. By stepping it on down to at least 2000 grit, there will not be a single scratch that won't polish out. The key is the consistency of the scratch pattern achieved with the sandpaper as opposed to random hand polishing.

For maintenance, a light coat of wax as others have suggested does wonders. A longer lasting solution is to get some wipe on poly from Home Depot, thin it 50/50 with some mineral spirits, and wipe it on the lens in a few light coats with drying time in between.

rfields200

Seasoned Expediter
Our headlight lenses were in horrible condition. 770,000 miles of salt, sand, bugs and road dirt had really taken a toll on them. I was to the point of buying new ones, then a product that works was recommended to me.
It's made by 3M and called the Lens Renewal Kit. It comes with everything you need except a battery drill, masking tape, spray bottle of water and a towel for buffing.
It took about an hour and the headlights are back to about 95% of there original condition.
This product really worked for me and I highly recommend it to anyone that needs to rejuvenate there headlights.
I bought it at NAPA for $23 after I read this post. Followed directions and did both lenses in about 45 minutes. I love it when a product works as advertised!

DieselDriver

Seasoned Expediter
Fellas, fellas...come out of the stone age and save yourself a lot of time and money...unless you are stuck in Laredo for days and then you have nothing but time...any way go buy a small tube of "Flitz" cleaner, use a soft cloth and in 15-20 minutes your lights will look like new

guido4475

Not a Member
I used the 3m kit with the sandpaper, polish, etc,wet sanding the headlights..Worked awesome! kept them clear by using the aluminum polish sold at the T/A's ...green, in color, if only I can remember the name...lol..