Headed to Panther!!!!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
People show up at orientation and fail the drug test all the time. The same same kind of people moronically say "Yes" instead of "No" when the police ask them if they can search their vehicle at traffic stop. They also try and smuggle drugs right through a border checkpoint that exists to find smuggled drugs.

Very true. And then like in this case, they wonder why fleet owners won't cover the cost for them to go to orientation. Had one at one time wanted a rental car, five star hotel and $200 a day for food. Can't blame someone for trying but it was laughable. Then I laughed harder when he said he had never driven a truck before. :eek:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
So, the question of, "as for failing the drug test shouldn't that be in writing from the owner that if they fail they would have to pay the $ if the owner paid for your travel, hotel, and orientation?" If someone is irresponsible enough and stupid enough to take drugs and then show up at an orientation for a position where a drug screening is required, and then think they can miraculously pass the drug test, it's pretty safe to assume they aren't likely to be responsible enough and have enough personal integrity to pay the owner back for travel expenses.

Reactions: vanspek

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
People show up at orientation and fail the drug test all the time. The same same kind of people moronically say "Yes" instead of "No" when the police ask them if they can search their vehicle at traffic stop. They also try and smuggle drugs right through a border checkpoint that exists to find smuggled drugs.

I can understand the mentality of guys trying to smuggle dope through the border. Theyre enticed by the money and have that belief that they will be one of the lucky ones. But ive never understood people giving consent to search when they know theyres dope in the car. Same thing with people trying to get jobs when they know they cant pass a drug test. To me, that says two things. Obviously that the person does drugs. And second, that they have no self control. Someone who can quit even for a little bit to pass a test I don't think would make the best employee or contractor.

Reactions: davekc

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
How can they call you an independent contractor and have you under forced dispatch? What happens if you refuse a load? They just start skipping you on the board? Sounds like a fancy way of saying "youre fired" to me.
this is true

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
they don't fire you but they make it hard to work for them with all the percentages its a hard company to work for I tried it for 3 1/2 yrs. and there policies got tough to handle along with the long hold times on the phone, and not getting back to you when you need them.

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
I will probably end up going with them for a while as the seem to be one of the few who will work with someone with no experience.

Noname

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
That's a great video, Turtle. I've slogged through the S. Florida swamps and everglades many times looking for a panther and never saw one. Guess I should have taken a stroll on the boardwalk. Even the panther likes it easy.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Back in the early 70s I lived in Ft Lauderdale and we'd go over to the Everglades all the time to fish. I'd seen a couple of them, but nothing like that video. Once we were fishing from one of the canal banks and there was a cougar on the other bank, and another time we were in a boat and one was on the bank not too far away. More recently, though, I had a close encounter with a couple of them, not all that different from the video. Scared the crap out of me, too.

Noname

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Good story about your adventures, well written too. I lived in Ft. Laud. in 70's, bass fished the 'glades. Living back here now, just about ready to return to expediting. We'll meet at some time and swap stories.........I'll tell you about the time I had one of those big felines in my van with me when I was on the road. Of course, it was our house cat, but I can always stretch the story a little.