Hazmat - Transponders - Ohio

zorry

Veteran Expediter
The latest info I have for prepass
If placarded you must always enter scales in AZ and AK.
All Haz must always enter scales in Co, Oh, and WV.
Even with green lite.
We have this written on a card that we look at every time we get a Haz load.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Isn't that info contrary to what The Caffee's posted ?

Upon further review,it is not. I misread Caffee's post.

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Upon further review, we can now follow our in cab display IF WE HAVE A CURRENT PERMIT.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Zorry why do you go into CO OH WV scales even with a green light on transponder?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Keep it simple. Hauling placarded hazmat? Stop at all scales. There can then be no questions or mistakes. We don't haul much hazmat, it is less than 1% of our work and I intend to keep it that way. It does not pay all that well to begin with and when you add in all the hassles that come with it I could easily do without it.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We don't haul much hazmat, it is less than 1% of our work and I intend to keep it that way. It does not pay all that well to begin with ...

In some cases, you are correct, HAZMAT does not pay all that well. But in other cases, HAZMAT has been some of the best paying freight we have hauled. That is more the case at our new carrier (Landstar Express America). When we came to Landstar from our previous carrier and started serving some of the very same shippers, some HAZMAT shipments payed way more than we would have even considered possible. The identical freight, involving the exact same shippers and consignees offered better pay, sometimes $1,000 to $2,000 more. When it comes to pay, it's not always about the HAZMAT itself. Sometimes it's about the carrier that books the load. If the load is double brokered, money gets skimmed off the top.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
In some cases, you are correct, HAZMAT does not pay all that well. But in other cases, HAZMAT has been some of the best paying freight we have hauled. That is more the case at our new carrier (Landstar Express America). When we came to Landstar from our previous carrier and started serving some of the very same shippers, some HAZMAT shipments payed way more than we would have even considered possible. The identical freight, involving the exact same shippers and consignees offered better pay, sometimes $1,000 to $2,000 more. When it comes to pay, it's not always about the HAZMAT itself. Sometimes it's about the carrier that books the load. If the load is double brokered, money gets skimmed off the top.

All true. I will put it this way, as long as our situation remains the same we could do away with hauling hazmat and never miss it. That may some day change. Hazmat still often comes with hassles so the "hassle factor" must be included when making a determination whether or not a load is worth taking.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I went home to do my taxes,a wedding,and renew my CDL.
Passed haz-mat test w/o cracking the book.( thought I'd take it to see what I'd need to study,LOL).
Got fingerprinted for $86.50 and told to come back in THREE WEEKS for my license. What a pain !
We haul little Haz-Mat but won't walk away from any options.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
My wife renewed her CDL 7 weeks ago and has still not received her new license with the HAZMAT endorsement. She did get a letter stating everything passed, but Florida is backed up in issueing them.

Sent from my EVO using EO Forums

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That is one thing that Michigan is doing right. The Secretary of State is very well run. We get our new license within a week, no longer than ten days. The temp used while the new one arrives is good for 30 days.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
That is one thing that Michigan is doing right. The Secretary of State is very well run. We get our new license within a week, no longer than ten days. The temp used while the new one arrives is good for 30 days.

Diane! Diane! Come check this out. Here, read it here ... Layoutshooter said something good about the government.

Something's off. Things don't seem right. I think we should do a pre-trip inspection and check the weather and news headlines again.

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
My wife renewed her CDL 7 weeks ago and has still not received her new license with the HAZMAT endorsement. She did get a letter stating everything passed, but Florida is backed up in issueing them.

Sent from my EVO using EO Forums

That's because she opted to renew in english...with spanish being the primary language in Florida, you should expect delays when you opt for the english version :rolleyes:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Diane! Diane! Come check this out. Here, read it here ... Layoutshooter said something good about the government.

Something's off. Things don't seem right. I think we should do a pre-trip inspection and check the weather and news headlines again.

Candice Miller did a wonderful job bringing the Secretary of State office into the 20th century and beyond. She did it in a very non-partisan manner. She had broad support for her efforts. She ground no axes, pushed no agendas. All she did was modernize, streamline and put the customer first.

She is now in the congress. I have NO idea how or what she is doing, she is not my rep. She MAY run for the senate seat that is being abandoned by Carl (Marx) Levin. IF she runs I will have to look up her record in congress. She would be an interesting candidate.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

176CB4434DE97237109706