Have You Heard of XPO Logistics, Inc.? If not, you soon will.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Would not buy stock in any trucking company.
Has nothing to do with the company but the industry as a whole.
I avoid any stocks in any industry that IS VERY HEAVILY REGULATED by the federal and state governments.....such as trucking, banks and utilities to name a few.
Regulatory restrictions=more money spent=less profit.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Depends on what you are buying and selling at. With regards to utilities, they can be fairly stable because most utility companies have little competition. Need upgrades or anything else, they just raise the rates.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
In the year and a half I have been with them no layover pay and the dead head rate is now .15 per mile after 75 miles

Wow....a whole .15 cents.
DH 100 and you might have enough for a candy bar.
As mentioned,
Good for investors, pretty questionable for contractors.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
If things don't start picking up, I'll be thinking of a move to greener pastures. I know they're out there... somewhere.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If things don't start picking up, I'll be thinking of a move to greener pastures. I know they're out there... somewhere.

I have no doubt they are out there...
But this I put to you....

Do you want to run the miles for the sake of just moving?
or do you want to run for the money?
...because right now there is no having it both ways....it just ain't out there...

Falligator

Expert Expediter
Yeah, just got done talking to TJP says its slow for him too. Good with the bad. Last month was decent for me, but like you said earlier. I got a van sittin that Im making payments on. I've been considering using some of this money I saved, fixing the ac, getting my own comm insurance. But with everyone slow, I just don't know. Guess just TRY and save what little scraps I do get and keep on rollin. Could be worse and unemployed.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Would not buy stock in any trucking company.
Has nothing to do with the company but the industry as a whole.
I avoid any stocks in any industry that IS VERY HEAVILY REGULATED by the federal and state governments.....such as trucking, banks and utilities to name a few.
Regulatory restrictions=more money spent=less profit.

The regulatory question aside, Express-1 (XPO) is a story stock. A private equity firm is about to inject up to $150 million into XPO with the intent of building it into a multi-billion dollar company. The number of available (and potentially available) shares will be fixed at a certain level when the deal is approved by stockholders (assuming the deal is approved). Buying shares in this small company today with the view that it will be a bigger company tomorrow makes sense to me.

I'm not looking at the regulations under which the company operates. I'm looking at the growth potential it has. Jacobs has a proven track record and the market analysis and growth strategy stated in the proxy statement seems plausible to me.

It is going to be very interesting to watch not only XPO stock but also Jacobs in action once he is seated behind the wheel (September 1, assuming the stockholders approve the deal).

Full Disclosure: Diane and I own shares of XPO.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
lir wrote:

would go to load one in a heart beat

Hey we sit just like others, we just get paid to do it then we get paid to move when the need comes up...the difference is we are making good money and driving less, so the sitting is alot easier to take because we know the carrier will take care of us and that dispatch is working to get us moving..and the fact that the owner knows where every piece of equipment in the fleet is and if it is moving or sitting and if sitting, he can tell you how long to the minute...and when he feels the need, dispatch knows he knows whats going on...

Contracting to Load 1 is not for everyone, but when you sit back and look at whats out there verses load 1, i really can't see how those that were here could adjust there way of doing things to stay here...but it happens, people come and people leave....

lir wrote:

if and when they start taking vans again

Not to be a "pita", but i wouldn't hold your breath on that happening....i can tell you that recruiting has a list of people that will go buy a bigger unit that will carry 3 skids at a minimum waiting to get on at Load 1...Cv's just aren't what is working at Load 1....yes they get freight, but no where near what the bigger units get...

Last edited:

moose

Veteran Expediter
there are about 5 ways to calculate flat FSC, i do not know which one they use..

"Moose the formula they use is they take the MIDWEST average...which is the 2nd lowest in the nation...and they round off to the lowest number... so if its at say 27.9 cents you get .27..."

O.K, there are 6... got to give'em a twelves FedEx points for lowballing creactivity .

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
About 90% of FedEx drivers I run into aren't happy.

I got an e-mail from Fed Ex with the rates they are paying. I returned the e-mail and asked them what they paid for a 14' Ultramaxx. 85c a mile + FSC. No wonder no one there is happy.
I have never dealt with Express one or XPO or whatever you call it and reading these posts I don't think I ever will. Everyone knows that Bolt runs low rates but not much said about them or their rates but Express 1 must be something.:rolleyes:

moose

Veteran Expediter
If you wondered what it'll take to replace the express1 logo from your vehicle, with the new green XPO logo -
it is in the old name, like taking off a bandit off of a hairy leg, one fast peel !