Hating Microsoft, reason #8342

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I presumed, obviously erroneously, that uninstalling and then installing fresh would solve the problem. It should have really.
Not really. The problem isn't with Streets & Trips per se, it's with a sort-of central database (the Windows Product Activation Database) in the registry that all MS programs access, Windows, Office, all of them. When you uninstall a program, that database is left in tact, and when you install one, it checks the database that's already there, and generates a registration index for the installed programs.

When that database gets corrupted, it causes problems. The Activation Database can become corrupted by a bunch of causes, only a few of them can be blamed on Microsoft directly. The three main causes for the error is the database gets corrupted, either because of an error in writing the registry (or a hard drive I/O error or some other HD data error), the Security Permissions for the User Account are wrong or gets corrupted, or there is a conflict when Streets and Trips (or MapPoint) saves its template files and the default location of the templates for MS Office files. You could have inadvertently saved a file from Office, as a template, to some location other than the default template location, and that's all it takes to corrupt the database.

Normally, one would think that uninstalling the program and then combing through the registry and removing all references to Streets and Trips and MapPoint would do it, but the corrupted keys are under Microsoft Office, and you wouldn't want to remove those unless you really know what you are doing. There are about 5 registry keys under Office (out of more than 100) which need to be removed (nulled out), and that's what that Reset program that MS Tech Support does.

If you're enough of a geek to do it by hand, then you're enough of a geek to already know (or can easily and quickly find out) which ones to remove, as they are well documented in various tech forums and MS KB's. But since it was obvious that you didn't know about the registry keys, that's why I didn't offer up the hand-edited registry solution.

Unless you are comfortable with editing the registry, you can really screw the pooch with the entire system and not even know what you did wrong. That's the "dangerous" level of geekdom. :D

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm familiar but not fluent so I wouldn't fool with it. The main thing is it's fixed again and I can check mileages, find restaurants, etc. again. Hopefully this is no more than a once a decade type thing and maybe by the time it hits again I won't care.

stamp11127

Seasoned Expediter
AMonger, tried sending you a pm but the option wasn't there. Please send me one, I have a few questions to ask about the netbook.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We get the BSOD all the time when we try to run DeLorme. We get it on a XP PRO machine and a Windows 7 machine. It used to run without a problem on our old XP PRO machine.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
a K60I. I tried updating the drivers and it says their up to date, which it should be being as it's a new puter. I, too, am between merely dangerous and way beyond help. I can do anything routine, but I'm hardly MCSE material.
U should be able to just click on his name by the post and a menu will pop up giving you an option to send a pm.

copdsux

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
It is comments, from Phil, like the comment above, that, to me, make him insufferable. Kinda like junior high, when you got the "mine's bigger than yours" argument.

stamp11127

Seasoned Expediter
Yep, its the simple things that trip you up the most. Helps to be logged in when you try to PM.
I also on occasion will forget to attach a file to email and remember right after I send it.
Being middle aged is a beech....I just hope the knutt bra isn't in my future.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for pointing out my error. You're kinda like a Nun waiting to pounce on people with that ruler, aren't you? I guess I have to find the EO chalk board so I can write "Google" 100 times.