Has anyoe heard of On Call Logistics?

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hazmat, how long has it been since you stopped working for this company? I'm trying to find out current information about them. Also, Pallud why would a company have their broker authority involuntarily revoked if they decided to not be a broker any longer? They would have simply sent a letter to the FMCSA and had their authority voluntarily revoked. It looks much better when a carrier does it that way as opposed to being served with a notice and then having their authority involuntarily revoked. That leads me to believe that there are money issues going on with the company. I want to hear from one of their current owner ops and get a good idea of how solid this company is. Thank you for the link to that other thread, it looks like the previous owner had some problems and they both parted ways. That's not uncommon in the business world. It happens all of the time.

I worked for them in 2012 and 2013...

PreacherRich

Seasoned Expediter
Hey all, well I have a few things to say and I will keep it short. First, I value forums like this that people can express their feeling and opinions, we must all realize that is what they are, feelings and opinions.

First, On Call Logistics has never had a driver not get paid. Have there been issues? You bet! But you will not find a driver that has not been paid for their loads. Yes, admittedly we did get behind on payments, all were made up.

Last year we aggressively got into brokering loads and thought we were doing great until we experienced payment issues from customers. There are carriers today that are owed money. Like all my drivers, those payments will be made up. Our focus is again to just be best carrier we can possibly be and are no longer brokering.

Two and a half years ago I took over this company. We performed well as a carrier but honestly my organizational skills have lot to be desired. I have been involved in sales all my life and whenever there was a need for cash, it was always sell more, do more. That mentality transferred over to On Call and instead of fixing core organizational issues, it was add more trucks, do more loads. Well, On Call grew too fast, so did debt and every underlying issue.

Where is On Call now? Changed & Different. We still have our struggles but over the last couple months we have eliminated over $40,000 in monthly expenses. We have a company that is diligently working to get debt free. We have drivers getting miles and next day pay. We are streamlined and a whole lot more efficient. I can say again we are a company by drivers for drivers. Good things to come.

mikedrives191

Rookie Expediter
What I don't understand is why a company would broker loads to outside carriers if they don't have the money to pay those carriers? Also, how does a small expedite company have 40 thousand dollars a month in debt? Thanks for posting this. I'm goad I didn't go to work for this company. I'm surprised this company is still getting loads when they owe other carriers so much money. It sounds to me like someone thought they were going to be the next Panther Expedited Services and ended up learning a hard lesson in business 101. I mean how can you mess this stuff up? Anyone and their brother can get into this business and make it work. How do you end up in so much debt for a business that only requires minimal start-up expenses. I hope the company is under new management. What I want to hear is one of your drivers come on here and tell us how the company is. I don't see any of them posting on this forum. Anyone can say they pay their drivers, we all know that's not always the case. This has been an interesting read. There is no doubt about that.

Reactions: sbarrett

mikedrives191

Rookie Expediter
I can see having had to close the brokering side down because once you burn too many partner carriers, no one will bid on your loads. I just don't see how this can happen. Most of all of the other smaller expedite carriers have never had any problems collecting payment from their customers. Someone over there must have failed to do credit checks on the shippers they were moving loads for. That is usually what happens when you are only focused on making more money. You end up taking risks that can destroy you and your company. I hope you don't get sued by the carriers you owe money to. It's hard to run a company when the lawyers come in and take your company apart piece by piece. Those partner carriers probably lost money because they had to pay their drivers for loads they were never paid for. What would you do if your outside carriers did the same thing to you? Three years in business and still can't get it right. lol.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Often times I have seen carriers get in trouble by trying to grow grow grow and getting caught up by cash flow. Profit and cash flow BOTH have to be managed. I have seen profitable companies go down based on lack of cash flow management and or understanding.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Often times I have seen carriers get in trouble by trying to grow grow grow and getting caught up by cash flow. Profit and cash flow BOTH have to be managed. I have seen profitable companies go down based on lack of cash flow management and or understanding.
That's exactly what happened to Flying J. They got so wrapped up in revenue that they forgot to notice they didn't have any profit. And they had no cash flow after they had just bought a refinery and a pipeline just before the price of crude tanked.

Dave Sullivan

Seasoned Expediter
That's exactly what happened to Flying J. They got so wrapped up in revenue that they forgot to notice they didn't have any profit. And they had no cash flow after they had just bought a refinery and a pipeline just before the price of crude tanked.
I have to give it to Preacher Rich !!!!! It take a big man to admit they made some mistakes. Most people in that position will blame everyone else, regardless of what happened It sounds like a lot of companies in the last 5 years except he is trying to make it right. GOOD JOB RICH !!!!!!!!!!!

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I can see having had to close the brokering side down because once you burn too many partner carriers, no one will bid on your loads. I just don't see how this can happen. Most of all of the other smaller expedite carriers have never had any problems collecting payment from their customers.

Yeah right. MANY smaller carriers have trouble collecting and go under because the customer fails to pay. That's why the broker or customer uses them in the first place.

Someone over there must have failed to do credit checks on the shippers they were moving loads for. That is usually what happens when you are only focused on making more money. You end up taking risks that can destroy you and your company.

Yeah that's what he said.

I hope you don't get sued by the carriers you owe money to. It's hard to run a company when the lawyers come in and take your company apart piece by piece. Those partner carriers probably lost money because they had to pay their drivers for loads they were never paid for. What would you do if your outside carriers did the same thing to you? Three years in business and still can't get it right. lol.

How smooth is your expedite company running? How many vans do you have signed on? No problems at all and never made a mistake? What's the point of laughing about someone else's troubles and mistakes that could also hurt others? It's really disgusting behavior.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Hey all, well I have a few things to say and I will keep it short. First, I value forums like this that people can express their feeling and opinions, we must all realize that is what they are, feelings and opinions.

First, On Call Logistics has never had a driver not get paid. Have there been issues? You bet! But you will not find a driver that has not been paid for their loads. Yes, admittedly we did get behind on payments, all were made up.

Last year we aggressively got into brokering loads and thought we were doing great until we experienced payment issues from customers. There are carriers today that are owed money. Like all my drivers, those payments will be made up. Our focus is again to just be best carrier we can possibly be and are no longer brokering.

Two and a half years ago I took over this company. We performed well as a carrier but honestly my organizational skills have lot to be desired. I have been involved in sales all my life and whenever there was a need for cash, it was always sell more, do more. That mentality transferred over to On Call and instead of fixing core organizational issues, it was add more trucks, do more loads. Well, On Call grew too fast, so did debt and every underlying issue.

Where is On Call now? Changed & Different. We still have our struggles but over the last couple months we have eliminated over $40,000 in monthly expenses. We have a company that is diligently working to get debt free. We have drivers getting miles and next day pay. We are streamlined and a whole lot more efficient. I can say again we are a company by drivers for drivers. Good things to come.

IMHO, while feelings and opinions are often reflected here, so are experiences. 3 people, since the 12th, have relayed their experience with your company of not being paid.
Is that a trend?

Have they been paid since their post?

The drivers that are getting miles and next day pay, does that include ALL drivers or just some?

For some people, a candy store is too much business to run.

If you have to run your business on the backs and pockets of others, you shouldn't be in business.

mikedrives191

Rookie Expediter
What I don't understand is how partner carriers were not pain on time when this company obviously uses a factoring company to factor their invoices. There is no way a company like this that is close to bankruptcy has enough cash reserve to pay their drivers within 24 hours after delivering a load. Most factoring companies will pay the carriers directly before the broker gets paid. But if there was some sort of double brokering going on and this company invoiced those loads to their factoring company making it look like one of their trucks was on that particular load. Technically they could have pocketed that money with the intent of paying their partner carrier at the 60 day mark.

And as for what was said about not blaming other people. This company is blaming the shippers for not being able to pay their carriers for services rendered. It is not the shippers responsibility to pay your carriers for you. if you have a contract with your partner carriers, you must pay them according to that contract. Stand up companies will pay their outside carriers and drivers even when they have been ripped off by a rogue shipper. That's what happens when you try and do things that are not ethical. I went back and read that original post that one of the previous owners posted. It appears to me that Preacher Rich forced this guy out of his own company and then thought he was some sort of carrier CEO genius.

What was this Preacher Rich guy - a driver for all of four months? Then he and another owner of the company conspire with him to get rid of the first owner. The guy obviously didn't even know how to run his business as a driver and just thought he would jump into owning a company. It takes a long time to learn how to operate a business. Some people can't run any sort of business. I read the original post and also another post about a driver being missing with a load for three days because Rich did not do a background check on that driver. There apparently was another driver sitting in a parking lot with no fuel to finish a shut down load going to an automotive plant in WV. There was some missing paperwork for over a month on another post. How can you become a bigger company if you can't even get your stuff together as a smaller company?

The original owner spent months building up carrier relationships, filling out paperwork, putting in the blood sweat and tears, and some poser just came in and tried to be the CEO. At least this guy has lost his credit rating with the people who write broker bonds. He's out of that part of the business for a long time. I just hope you all have read enough here to steer clear of this carrier. Why would you even take a chance with a company that is so close to Bankruptcy? This company supposedly re-invented itself last year with a big push with decals on their trucks, and then they supposedly got a higher level of Sylectus. They were going to conquer the world as a broker. Now they've re-invented themselves again as a carrier only operation because they failed as brokers. What kind of story will they be inventing this time next year? You guys pay all of that money for 1 million in liability and 100k in cargo insurance just to get ripped off by these rogue carriers.

Last edited:

mikedrives191

Rookie Expediter
Yeah right. MANY smaller carriers have trouble collecting and go under because the customer fails to pay. That's why the broker or customer uses them in the first place.

Yeah that's what he said.

How smooth is your expedite company running? How many vans do you have signed on? No problems at all and never made a mistake? What's the point of laughing about someone else's troubles and mistakes that could also hurt others? It's really disgusting behavior.

Yeah it is disgusting behavior what this carrier has done to its drivers and you are here defending them. That says a lot about you doesn't it? I'm laughing because after all of the stories that have been out there about this company for the past three years, drivers are still signing on with them. It's almost like drivers are gluttons for punishment. Also, if I was going to run an expedite company I would make sure I had enough money to pay my drivers and outside carriers before I did any business with them. This is an underfunded company to say the least. The owner came out and said they were paying out 40 thousand dollars a month in bills. What were they paying for? Did they have an office in the trump towers? That is pretty scary to hear that a company with less than 30 trucks is paying out over 40k a month in expenses. Maybe I read that wrong.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I'm guessing part of that $40k per month was some admin payroll. Payroll and benefits are expenses. He was probably not just referring to rent, power bills & corporate massages. LOL!!!! Not defending, just stating a fact.

mikedrives191

Rookie Expediter
How much payroll would you have for running under 30 trucks? Most small outfits are a husband and wife type of operation where they work together to do the dispatching and payroll. They usually operate out of a spare bedroom in their home. Maybe this guy had an entire staff of people because he didn't know how to run a company.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
How much payroll would you have for running under 30 trucks? Most small outfits are a husband and wife type of operation where they work together to do the dispatching and payroll. They usually operate out of a spare bedroom in their home. Maybe this guy had an entire staff of people because he didn't know how to run a company.

True dat! Yeah, that $40k is steep. Sally & I are a "mom & pop". Dining room converted to office. Only 11 drivers but we don't approach the same expense ratio at all as $40K per month for 30 drivers. o_O
Now, add in driver payroll and yes. That's a number that's believable or way low for 30 drivers.

mikedrives191

Rookie Expediter
Mike and the reason you're beating this horse into the ground is? You're just boiling your cabbage twice now !

How does life go on for the drivers who were ripped off? I guess if you were ripped off, you too would simply say life goes on and go out there and live your life. Why are defending the guy?