Hand Load?

moose

Veteran Expediter
Ok Moose,

I'm not following you quite. Are you saying that blanketing a load is just driver duty or that one should be compensated for the extra service requirement?

hi ,Jeff...
please don't put word in my laptop...
i Did not say "driver duty"
nor "compensation"
am not familiar with either one !
all I'm saying : if the shipper is paying - that's great , "more money in the bank".
it is up to the driver to accept/reject a good paying load do to prior expectations.
it is our job as small business owners, to understand and implement the operations costs.
exercise and sweat are not business expenses.
the time involved in such a load , most be factor in.

Moose.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
For that matter you can consider flatbeds. Just about all of them carry tarps, and they will charge you about 120 bucks for them to put it over your freight. Value adding is what I like to call it. Some loads have to be side loaded or unloaded and need to stay dry. That's where a flatbed and set of tarps come in.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I had three loads in the last year that I had to blanket.

1 - glass panels, the shipper said it would be fine in the racks but I blanketed them anyway - one hour to get that done so I was paid $2.25 a mile and it was insurance.

2 - I hauled a metal container of WG stuff. The shipper said "we ship these all the time, just put the straps around it and tighten it up to the side" but I wasn't happy, I wrapped the container first to save my walls then strapped it to the wall. Again the time was little over 30 minutes and I was being paid a good amount to move it.

3 - I had some weird prototype thing for some way off company based in Detroit. I wasn't paid a lot (former company) but I surely made sure that there were blankets on it where the straps were, took photos of it and had the shipper sign off on it.

I have yet been asked to wrap anything. However I have taken freight that had blankets and dunnage bags with the shipment and also told "keep 'em, we don't want them"

Now hand loading is a different thing, I was a delivery truck for Dick's sporting goods while I was with FedEx, all the loads except one or maybe two were all hand unload - in the freezing weather.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Based on what one person is saying, I guess an extra stop or two would be okay, so long as it was on the way.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Based on what one person is saying, I guess an extra stop or two would be okay, so long as it was on the way.

again , someone els is typing in my laptop...
i did not say that !
i was talking on hand load and blanket wrap .
i have Del. lots of both , (not Expedite),sometime with good pay (Ashley of Arcadia, W.I ) and sometime for "free" (Hon Co. of Muscatine, I.A), made good money with both.
by the end of the Day a driver main way of making money ,is loaded mil. , a driver will not get rich from bonuses .
the bonuses are just a part of the pay per load.
Expedite is a per load , one should ask himself : how match the load is paying ? ,can you afford to haul it , and make money ? Good !
the service that you provide will make a driver available to PU a blanket wrap /driver load/unload ...load.
it dose not costs any extra !
if the shipper is paying ? --- good .
rejecting a good paying load ? , well,

principles wont bring home the bacon .

I think we covered this issue well .
we will have to agree to disagree ,
and that just fine , as many Expediter can learn from this debate .
EO works for me.

Moose.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Thanks Greg for your post ,
I Did not think about that ,
looks like I'm going to carry 2 blankets from now on , just in case.

experience talks ...

Moose.

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
All of our 'jobs' are to deliver the freight. Not load and unload. If I have a hand load, I expect compensation.
Ask yourself this.........if you were working a 9 to 5 and the boss came up and told you to do X, and it was going to take a couple hours, but you weren't going to get paid for it, would you do it???

greg334

Veteran Expediter
All of our 'jobs' are to deliver the freight. Not load and unload. If I have a hand load, I expect compensation.
Ask yourself this.........if you were working a 9 to 5 and the boss came up and told you to do X, and it was going to take a couple hours, but you weren't going to get paid for it, would you do it???

Suds
Sorry but it is our jobs to do what ever the customer wants us to do, as long as we get paid what we need to get paid, each person is different as each situation is too.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Some might be missing a very important point, well two points all we sell is service. If you/they want more service you charge them for it. Second and equally as important, If you do something that your carrier has not authorized you to do and drop that crystal chandelier off the back of your truck, will you be covered by insurance? Would be the same as using a lift gate and having it go bad. Your carrier charges more in part to cover these things. They could even get a special rider on their policy at an extra cost for that load.

Sorry Moose we can agree to disagree, it's the same as detention pay, but with your labor thrown in.

Need to clarify something I said we provide "A" service, when in fact We provide different Levels of service. (for more Money)

Also If you still are with PII then read the top half of page 57 in your drivers handbook, it is talking about the fact that you need to "immediately notify driver manager". it's not saying as much about if you want paid as it is they want paid.

Last edited:

tec1959

Expert Expediter
Hi everyone,I think some is missing the point thinking it may take all day to load and wrap a load with 50 or so blankets.I've had WG loads that needed 50-75 blankets extra load bars and a couple of sheets of plywood and almost every time the shipper would help load and the receiver would help unload and it would take less than 45 mins most times.Now if it takes all day to do somethings special like loading and secure the load and wrap yes we would get extra pay,I also was and O/O for North American van lines in the HVP division High Values Products and it worked the same way.Most of the time if it calls for things like this then there's somewhere in the pay for the extra even if it doesn't show it...

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
if i takes more than a half hour to load here at ceva we go on the clock every 15 mins until we leave
and a wg glove load here at ceva ad's money to load as your paying for our know to load a load