Half a million miles, how many more?

dancorn

Veteran Expediter
My 2003 E350 with 7.3 has just turned over 500,000 miles. Has anyone had any experience with this type van? How many miles did you go and what killed it? No engine work or transmission work so far, don't know if I am lucky or this is normal. I use Rotella full synthetic and change it every 20k, it uses a quart every 5,000 miles. I do baby it, slow acceleration, try to stay below 2,000 rpm, allow it to fully warm up before driving, etc.
Appreciate anyones experience with this truck.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Regardless of the answers, congratulations on your success ( luck ? ) so far.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
If the majority of those miles are yours, you are OBVIOUSLY doing several of the right thinks. I think luck is always a factor but you are to be commended for what must be proper maintenance.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Wonder what oil and filter I could use to go 20K between changes. I'm currently running 7K on Castrol 20/50. I run lighter grade in the winter, of course.
(2006 Chev Express 4.8, currently 338,858....859....860)

Monty

Expert Expediter
It matters not the brand of oil, have the oil analysis done. It will tell you much about the quality of your oil at the time you drained it.

dancorn

Veteran Expediter
Had an oil analysis done last year and the results were very good, in fact it was suggested to try 30,000 miles next time and then retest. I just could not make myself do that. A mechanic told me he had a 7.3 and never changed the oil, just the filter and makeup oil every 10,000. Could not do that either. I do have a magnetic drain plug and have never found anything on it, assuming those things work.
It matters not the brand of oil, have the oil analysis done. It will tell you much about the quality of your oil at the time you drained it.

dancorn

Veteran Expediter
Appreciate the nice comments but I was really wanting someone to share their experience with a high milage 7.3 diesel. Perhaps they haven't got to this post yet or I am the only one fool enough to leave home in such a well used machine. It did turn past 500,000 miles on The Alaska Highway just north of Dawson Creek, B.C. and a few runs later got us home to Mississippi without any issues. That area of B.C. would have been a tough place to break down.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
the 7.3 is a monster engine....almost too big for what we do..pretty much no one I know of runs with one.....unless you haul heavy....Guido did run one last year before going to gas.....

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Highway Star had something similiar...not sure of the exact engine. His was very close to 1 million when he parked it. Best I remember the engine was still going. Hopefully he will chime in.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Appreciate the nice comments but I was really wanting someone to share their experience with a high milage 7.3 diesel. Perhaps they haven't got to this post yet or I am the only one fool enough to leave home in such a well used machine. It did turn past 500,000 miles on The Alaska Highway just north of Dawson Creek, B.C. and a few runs later got us home to Mississippi without any issues. That area of B.C. would have been a tough place to break down.

I do have a friend who runs a 7.3 in a P/up hotshot. I've never owned a Ford and we go at each other quite abit. Fun. He has 750,000 on his pulling a gooseneck and still hasn't had any major problems. Don't know about tranny. Your statement about warming up, I hope you don't do an idle warm up because you don't really bring the major componants up to operating temp/ without driving. :eek:

Where Ford screwed up was the invention of the 6.0.

Last edited:

dolphin

Seasoned Expediter
My 2003 E350 with 7.3 has just turned over 500,000 miles. Has anyone had any experience with this type van? How many miles did you go and what killed it? No engine work or transmission work so far, don't know if I am lucky or this is normal. I use Rotella full synthetic and change it every 20k, it uses a quart every 5,000 miles. I do baby it, slow acceleration, try to stay below 2,000 rpm, allow it to fully warm up before driving, etc.

Did have the 7.3 year model 1993 with no turbo. Its was a big Supreme Box Van and I used to haul really heavy cross country. I used Rotella 15w 40 every 5K and had close to 400K on the Van. Everything else went on that van 3 trans, 1 rear end, 1 radiator etc, etc , but I'll tell you that engine was unbelievable. I had a compression test done around 380k and the dealership told me the engine had 90% of the original pressure. Basically after all that wear and tear using Rotella basic oil was like new still.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Highway Star had something similiar...
Yeah, I think he had about 800,000 on it before he bought a truck and gave his van to his kid. I don't believe it made a million miles, but it was real close before they had to put a bullet in it.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
My 06 express 4.8 gas is/was clocking 615,000 last week when I sold it..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
340k, no reason you can't see another 340k out of it. Today's gasers are comparable to diesels as far as longevity goes.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I think so. Lots of oil service. No off-brand fuel. And I DON'T let it downshift at 74 mph when I hit a steep one. I slow down. No one needs a thrown rod or spun bearing!!

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
My 2003 E350 with 7.3 has just turned over 500,000 miles. Has anyone had any experience with this type van? How many miles did you go and what killed it? ...

I met an expediter this morning with an '03 F350 with a 7.3 that he's been driving for an owner for over 3 yrs. had over 830,000 miles on the odometer and he says that as long as he's driven it he has had no engine related problems. Says it has never had even the glow plugs changed out. Says it still has plenty extra power for passing and going up hills at a steady speed. He's getting a steady 20-21 mpg he says, loaded or unloaded.

All that, on an engine in a van that's most likely seen a variety of drivers and driving styles over the years. I think it's the only Ford diesel for ligh trucks and vans that has a decent rep.

Last edited:

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Mine had over 990k and still ran like a champ when it went to it's grave. As I'm sure you know, sitting is hard on a vehicle and after I retired it from expediting the extended periods of sitting started to take it's toll. The last time my son drove it there was a wiring problem and it quit running. All things considered, we decided it was time to put it to rest.

You have a lot of life left in that van. Mine needed a trans rebuild around 460k. The last half of it's expediting life, it was actually more dependable than it's first. I had to transfer freight twice in the first 4 years, never in the last 4.

The 7.3 was an excellent steed.

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
Mine had over 990k and still ran like a champ when it went to it's grave. As I'm sure you know, sitting is hard on a vehicle and after I retired it from expediting the extended periods of sitting started to take it's toll. The last time my son drove it there was a wiring problem and it quit running. All things considered, we decided it was time to put it to rest.

You have a lot of life left in that van. Mine needed a trans rebuild around 460k. The last half of it's expediting life, it was actually more dependable than it's first. I had to transfer freight twice in the first 4 years, never in the last 4.

The 7.3 was an excellent steed.

That's so many met a guy in Dallas that had about 1million so he said.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums mobile app