H.O.S. revisited again.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Someone just might need to teach those drivers how to drive if it takes them 11 hours to go 550 miles.. they only average 50MPH for the whole trip..LOL

As for the 13 hour clock, It's still a 14 hour clock, its just the FMCSA making drivers take a couple of 15 min breaks and a 1/2 hour lunch break.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think you will probably be hearing about how many jobs this will create.

In the article:

The ATA, a trade group based in Arlington, Va., estimates the rule changes will require companies to hire some 100,000 new drivers–more than twice the number estimated by the Transportation Department—and will cost more than $2 billion a year industrywide.

Now we know where them displaced drivers from the border will be going...ya see...there was a plan....:rolleyes:

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
In the article:

The ATA, a trade group based in Arlington, Va., estimates the rule changes will require companies to hire some 100,000 new drivers–more than twice the number estimated by the Transportation Department—and will cost more than $2 billion a year industrywide.

Now we know where them displaced drivers from the border will be going...ya see...there was a plan....:rolleyes:

Sounds as if its time to pull the weeds, thin the garden of drivers who have marginal driving records and to thin out marginal companies who hire marginal drivers with tons of tickets and accidents IMHO. Let the games begin.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sounds as if its time to pull the weeds, thin the garden of drivers who have marginal driving records and to thin out marginal companies who hire marginal drivers with tons of tickets and accidents IMHO. Let the games begin.

On one hand we speak about CSA and thinning the herd of bad drivers and in another thread we worry about losing a few jobs....that doesn't make sense...which way?

oh I just thought...lay off the drivers with the lowest CSA scores...voila...problem solved...;)

moose

Veteran Expediter
Someone just might need to teach those drivers how to drive if it takes them 11 hours to go 550 miles.. they only average 50MPH for the whole trip..LOL.

That's Just about right.
for the last 293,786 mil. my GPS show a moving average of 50.3Mph. and those 90 drivers are heavy up to gross 50% of the times running the N.J/P.A line. if any, those drivers are speeding some of the times.

It is refreshing tho'w to see main stream media picking up on Trucking regulations.
good find.

O'h yh'a, :
http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/general-expediter-forum/45502-hos-comment-letter.html

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The CSA program will get rid of what I think 3% of the bad drivers out there.

The Mexican truck program will get rid of 5% of the marginal operations.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Re-looked at the article and it said this, Keith Tuttle manages a fleet of trucks he says is making a narrow profit hauling empty aluminum cans from manufacturers in northwest Ohio to beer and soda makers in New Jersey,

I do not believe they were at gross...light load.. Plus most of the way is Interstate.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
ever timed just how much time is lost with a simple pee? think about the process...I bet about 25-30....between slowing down and getting back to highway speed...

Camper

Not a Member
Just another example to government trying to remedy an "issue" with the wrong medicine.

American long haul truckers are the best, and safest, drivers on the road, bar none. It's the typical automobile driver who threatens life and limb.

By implementing such arbitrary regulations, the only end result is fewer good drivers opting into the long-haul sector, meaning fewer durable goods orders for tractors, meaning yet another sector(truck & heavy equip. manufacturers) being adversely affected.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ever put 2 + 2 together?

All these $$Billions$$ going to rail subsidies....and now tighten up the trucks to make rail look better....seems they keep tightening the screws on highway rules....freight is being steered towards rail...

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Re-looked at the article and it said this, Keith Tuttle manages a fleet of trucks he says is making a narrow profit hauling empty aluminum cans from manufacturers in northwest Ohio to beer and soda makers in New Jersey,

I do not believe they were at gross...light load.. Plus most of the way is Interstate.

IIRC the article stated his trucks come back with full cans of beer & soda, so each can is now 12 ounces heavier; that might add some weight :D , and if the drivers are drinkin' Coke or Dew to stay awake, there's yr 30-minute pee stop right there. Plus, there's a couple hills here in PA. If you're from Colorado you won't notice 'em, but your truck will :)

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I seen the second part but forgot to edit my post. What everyone seems to forget, its still a 14 hour day but they want you to stop for one of those 14 hours. Two fifteen's and a thirty whats the big deal.. Oh wait it will be required.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Someone just might need to teach those drivers how to drive if it takes them 11 hours to go 550 miles.. they only average 50MPH for the whole trip..LOL

As for the 13 hour clock, It's still a 14 hour clock, its just the FMCSA making drivers take a couple of 15 min breaks and a 1/2 hour lunch break.

Everytime you stop your truck you loose a minimum of 15 mins.Averaging 50 mph,means you must drive at least 60 mph to do so.If this company is deliverung their freight 550 miles in 11 hours,hes doing very well.In the 11 hours,I'm sure there is at least 1 stop for fuel,and driver may eat at same time,there goes an hour.Now hes gone 550 miles in 10 hours of driving,stop a couple times for bathroom break,lossing a half hour,thats 550 miles in 9.5 hours of driving.SO you think its esy doing 550 miles in 11 hours,and what if truck only runs 65 mph.You better think about what your saying

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Everytime you stop your truck you loose a minimum of 15 mins.Averaging 50 mph,means you must drive at least 60 mph to do so.If this company is deliverung their freight 550 miles in 11 hours,hes doing very well.In the 11 hours,I'm sure there is at least 1 stop for fuel,and driver may eat at same time,there goes an hour.Now hes gone 550 miles in 10 hours of driving,stop a couple times for bathroom break,lossing a half hour,thats 550 miles in 9.5 hours of driving.SO you think its esy doing 550 miles in 11 hours,and what if truck only runs 65 mph.You better think about what your saying

Thank you Steve..that was my exact point....sometimes it will run quicker sometimes even slower...We could assume the owner was speaking average time..:)

paullud

Veteran Expediter

Why would you take time to eat and fuel from your driving time? You would log that under the extra 3 hours as off duty or on duty not driving. A stop doesn't mean you lose a minimum of 15 minutes, it depends on the time you stop. If you were to stop at a rest area to get a drink out of your fridge at 3:07 you legally log that you stopped at 3:00, then start driving at 3:08 you would have to legally log you started driving at 3:15, that means you just gained 14 minutes of driving time.
Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
P: we do take the fuel time as 'OD, ND', but it isn't deducted from the time figured for transit. [Sometimes, even the time at the shipper isn't deducted: the clock starts when we arrive at shipper, which means making up time from the jump].
If you've ever sat in a truck stop waiting for some goober to back up [the forward, then back, etc, ] after waiting for a pump, waiting in line for the receipt, [behind the guy whose card won't clear, or his English is terrible, or he has a return item] using the rest room, then waiting to pull out into traffic, you'd know that a fuel stop can take more than 30 minutes, easily.
The worst thing is that most delays are minor, [stuck behind a slowpoke you can't pass on a 2 lane, small town speed limits & red lights, construction, congestion,] but they are cumulative, and add up to a delay that can't really be explained or justified, so we just have to make it up. And the only way to do that is to go faster, which is generally not a good idea.
It's a problem we deal with one day/load at a time, however we can.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
P: we do take the fuel time as 'OD, ND', but it isn't deducted from the time figured for transit. [Sometimes, even the time at the shipper isn't deducted: the clock starts when we arrive at shipper, which means making up time from the jump].
If you've ever sat in a truck stop waiting for some goober to back up [the forward, then back, etc, ] after waiting for a pump, waiting in line for the receipt, [behind the guy whose card won't clear, or his English is terrible, or he has a return item] using the rest room, then waiting to pull out into traffic, you'd know that a fuel stop can take more than 30 minutes, easily.
The worst thing is that most delays are minor, [stuck behind a slowpoke you can't pass on a 2 lane, small town speed limits & red lights, construction, congestion,] but they are cumulative, and add up to a delay that can't really be explained or justified, so we just have to make it up. And the only way to do that is to go faster, which is generally not a good idea.
It's a problem we deal with one day/load at a time, however we can.

I mentioned the on duty not driving because he is subtracting time from an 11 hour time instead of 14. I can't think of more than a handful of times that I spent more than 15 minutes for a fuel stop in the 2and a half years that I drove a truck. A lot of it comes down to proper trip planning such as fueling at the start of your day whenever possible, there are to many people that just drive and use the fuel stop like it is a break, if you want a break stop at a rest area, much much easier to get back on the road.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App