Gunsmoke

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
Yeah I watched that Lou Reed vid and I don't get it. Was he like obscene back in the day or something?

Also wanna add I've seen A LOT of gunsmoke, It comes on TV Land everyday. But I'm a Bonanza type of guy. Love me Hoss/Dan Blocker

Last edited:

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
How many know Ken Curtis was a member of the country group Sons of The Pioneers.

Curtis was a singer before moving into acting[3] and combined both careers once he entered films, performing with the popular Sons of the Pioneers from 1949 to 1953 as well as singing with the Tommy Dorsey band. Curtis replaced Frank Sinatra as vocalist for the Dorsey band. He was with the Dorsey band in 1941, prior to Sinatra's departure, and may have served simply as insurance against Sinatra's likely defection. Dick Haymes contractually replaced Sinatra, in 1942. Curtis then joined Shep Fields and His New Music, an all-reeds band that dispensed with a brass section.

Yupper. This guy was a classic.

With all he did before Gunsmoke, hard to believe he pulled off this character, the way he did.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Yeah I watched that Lou Reed vid and I don't get it. Was he like obscene back in the day or something?

Also wanna add I've seen A LOT of gunsmoke, It comes on TV Land everyday. But I'm a Bonanza type of guy. Love me Hoss/Dan Blocker

There may be hope for you yet,but just to be safe stay away from the wild side,at least a little longer.

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
Lol I thought she sounded like one

Ya, I know. Was just funnin around. Actually, Amanda Blake was a heavy smoker and spoke a little raspy for sure. She reportedly died of complications with cancer, though some claim it was aids caught in Africa while playing around with those cats of hers.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Wholesome fun needs a visit? :)

Utube has the reruns on again for a while. This one features one of the best character actors of that era, Festus.

Anyone who's ran expedite and counted on their truck to perform, or ever gave their truck a pat on the back (I have).....will like this one.

Gunsmoke S18 E14 Jubilee - YouTube

You will also recognize a Top Gun actor in this one. Go right to the 20 minute mark to get hold of ole Festus in action. :cool:
I hear at this time of year he goes by Festivus instead of Festus.:)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Amanda Blake most likely died from AIDS complications from her Austin husband. Her voice was somewhat deep and raspy for a woman most likely due to years of heavy smoking like Lucille Ball who it is said was often mistaken for her husband Gary Morton when answering the telephone at home.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
That raspy voice and those filterless luckys will do that to ya. Lucile Ball I remember watching her late stuff and she sounded real rough. So ms kitty the owner of a bar in the old west died of aids. Hmmmm o_O

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
So ms kitty the owner of a bar in the old west died of aids.

Not conclusive. To those ends....I tend to ignore the personal lives of those actors/actresses.

Looking to deep might spoil the fun....and is most likely, given hollyweird's promotion of social "characters". :)

Last edited:

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
I hear at this time of year he goes by Festivus instead of Festus.:)

Hey A........your back huh? No more basking in the sunshine?

Festivus begins now. Home for the New Year, and ran pretty good during xmas.

Festivuv for sure.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If my screen name was Gunsmoke I'd start a thread titled Maverick.

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
If my screen name was Gunsmoke I'd start a thread titled Maverick.

Funny though.....I never have watched the old western with James Garner. Nickname in HS does stem from that, however.

Get tired of the back and forth in soapbox (following even scintillating exchanges), while the remainder of this forum is for me to learn by. Also get real tired of this new stuff, whereby arms are getting blown off, 105lb women kicking the crap out of men and slapping them around, and no real life lessons going forward in the story line.

It's relaxing to view the episodes once in a while. :cool: