Gun Control and Terrorism

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
"America isn't even tryyyyiiiiinnggggggg!"

I've read that little whine du jour in at least a dozen articles over the past 2 weeks. In every case, it's not about gun control that will actually do something, that will have an impact on mass shootings (that have been going on for decades, BTW), but rather it's about doing something, anything, in a classic feel-good rant.

Here are two opinion articles of very differing views. One from Thursday's US NEWS & WORLD REPORT, a news organization that demonstrates objective common sense on a regular basis, and one from this morning's THE NEW YORK TIMES, which doesn't, on an astonishingly consistent basis. The first was written by Peter Roff, an experienced and respected, and (mostly) conservative writer, who often tells conservatives what they need to know, whether they like it not. The latter was written by the entire Editorial Board of the TIMES, who has never had an honest, objective thing to say about anything (which is why the News Division there tries to keep their distance from Editorial). But more impressively, the TIMES piece is the first Front Page Editorial they've run since 1920 (when the editors at the TIMES took a collective dump when Warren G. Harding was nominated as the Republican Party candidate for president), so they're seriously serious about this.

The two contrasting articles are a must read, and they're both short.

San Bernardino Was Terrorism

End the Gun Epidemic

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This was a humorous but appropriate reply to the NYT editorial:

IMG_3841.jpg

This is what I think of the New York Times editorial today. The United States suffered its worst terrorist attacks since September 11 and the New York Times’ response is that all law-abiding citizens need their guns taken away. Screw them. The New York Times wants you to be sitting ducks for a bunch of arms jihadists who the New York Times thinks no doubt got that way because of the United States.

I Shot Holes in the New York Times Editorial | RedState

In addition, the FBI has finally admitted that the muslim extremists who carried out an attack on a company party celebrating a Christian holiday were actually terrorists - but "not attached to a cell". Maybe the were the cell, complete with house, baby, grandparents, two cats in the yard and pipe bomb lab. Then there's the neighbor who noticed all the deliveries and suspicious activity but didn't want to say anything because it might appear racist or offensive to muslims. How awful to be accused of racial profiling! We've received yet another wakeup call, and might want to recognize the reality that these barbarians live among us and know how to blend in until the time comes for them to cash in their ticket to paradise.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Well, I see that I'm not the only one that caught the NY Times front-page editorial. I wanted to shoot it myself, but (a), I don't have a gun in the truck and (b), I don't want to shoot my laptop screen. The editorial is an insult to intelligence and critical thinking. There's not even a hint of a rational argument in the editorial, it's 100% emotion-driven liberal crap. And it's why I added the first cartoon in the post.

What burns my butt isn't even the, "...yes, it would require Americans who own those kinds of weapons to give them up for the good of their fellow citizens," which is astoundingly whiny, amazingly short-sighted, just honey-dripping with feel-goodyism, but rather it was the whole, "But at least those countries are trying. The United States is not." It's complete and utter bull****. There have been a plethora of gun control laws added to the books since 1964, all of them liberal feel-good legislations designed to curb or eliminate gun violence, not one of which curbed or eliminated gun violence, and because they didn't result in a backdoor massive reduction in guns, now they want to try a full-on front door assault on the guns.

Yes, if you're on the No Fly List you probably shouldn't be allowed to buy guns. Well, duh. The only problem with that, and I'm sure it's a minor problem so small that it's not even worth considering, but the government can put whoever the hell they want on the No Fly List, including everybody everybody. Everybody.

I did like Trump's response about those who saw something and didn't want to be accused of insensitive racial profiling. “Can anybody be that dumb? We have become so politically correct that we don’t know what the hell we’re doing. We don’t know what we’re doing.”

Did you know that after every highly publicized mass shooting that applications for background checks and gun permits. not to mention gun sales themselves, skyrocket? That guns sales skyrocket after every proposed and enacted fun control measure?

In fine liberal feel-good fashion, they want to go after the symptom and not the cause. Those poor poor people. We have to fight poverty. Result? An explosion in the number of people in poverty. People aren't educated enough. Let's spend more on education. Result? Out-of-control tuition costs and a generation of educated idiots who can't think for themselves. More gun laws. Result? More guns in the hands of citizens, law abiding and otherwise.

This is going to get way worse before it gets better. History almost dictates it. The really unfortunate thing is that truly innocent Muslims who loathe the radical Islamists are going to get caught up in all this, too. Many of them will die. However, American may very well be the one place on the planet where Muslims and non-Muslims can team up against the jihadists and make something happen. Time will tell. But it'll get bad, to be sure.

Reactions: davekc

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
This was a humorous but appropriate reply to the NYT editorial:

IMG_3841.jpg

This is what I think of the New York Times editorial today. The United States suffered its worst terrorist attacks since September 11 and the New York Times’ response is that all law-abiding citizens need their guns taken away. Screw them. The New York Times wants you to be sitting ducks for a bunch of arms jihadists who the New York Times thinks no doubt got that way because of the United States.

I Shot Holes in the New York Times Editorial | RedState

In addition, the FBI has finally admitted that the muslim extremists who carried out an attack on a company party celebrating a Christian holiday were actually terrorists - but "not attached to a cell". Maybe the were the cell, complete with house, baby, grandparents, two cats in the yard and pipe bomb lab. Then there's the neighbor who noticed all the deliveries and suspicious activity but didn't want to say anything because it might appear racist or offensive to muslims. How awful to be accused of racial profiling! We've received yet another wakeup call, and might want to recognize the reality that these barbarians live among us and know how to blend in until the time comes for them to cash in their ticket to paradise.

I guess that neighbor who was a political correct person is really popular with the relatives of the deceased.......note, do all neighborhoods need surveillance cameras now?

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I guess that neighbor who was a political correct person is really popular with the relatives of the deceased.......note, do all neighborhoods need surveillance cameras now?
Nope, because everybody's got cell phones. It's surprising the neighbor(s) didn't make video of the suspicious activity since everything seems to get recorded these days.

Reactions: skyraider

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Instead of simple common sense, it is all about "feelings".
Obama used his "feelings" to promote his snake oil cure for gun violence in America and it's likely that most of the low-info voters who put him in office bought his bogus sales pitch hook, line & sinker. Problem is - like a cheese puff - after you chew on it there's nothing to swallow. Other than outright lies and misrepresentations mixed in with a few Oprah tears, he has nothing new or substantive to offer. After all he said, it turns out there's nothing there except the usual liberal hokum heard during an election year to rally his liberal lemmings.

Alan Korwin - Obama's Gun Speech Sprinkled With Inaccuracies, Distortions

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The classic Town Hall drivel notwithstanding, what Obama did is one of the most egregious and blatant examples of emotional feel-good liberalism which will accomplish exactly nothing that I've seen in a long, long time. It was pure theater worthy of a Shakespeare tragic comedy. Because it was so blatant, it was incredibly pathetic, which made it immensely hilarious. You watch it and can't help but to go "Wow!" from astonishment, laugh because it's so ridiculous, and do face palms because the people and the press are eating it up like it's real.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
What's up with the US President crying at a staged event? Has Obama been drinking from John Boehner's sippy cup?