Greg334 where are you?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh heck I wasn't going to jump on the Welcome Back bandwagon....ya ole fart like Layout there....:)

At a recent meeting of legislators in Rapid City concerning No smoking ban in the state...a person stood up and said..."When are we going to start telling people when and where to crap?"
"You NEED to get out of our business" and got a standing O.

Back in the capital of Pierre a week later...the ban was voted down!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ok, OVM, we won't discuss farts, old or new. I am for the most part against government getting in my face but I have mixed feelings about the smoking thing only because smoke does not stay in one place. My wife is alergic to cigarette smoke. She can't even sleep in a motel room that is not non-smoking. If there were better ventilation systems or places to go that advertised no smoking it would be better. It does really suck for us when we go somewhere nicer to eat and have to leave because someone is smoking near us. I would love to see the public service industry get more proactive on things like this, that MIGHT keep the government out. Layoutshooter

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
What might happen in SD is establishments will post "warning" signs that this is a smoking establishment. Enter at own risk....that puts the onus on the customer to enter or not....IF there is a place down the street that posts "this is a NoN smoking establishment" Fine....let capitolism rule the day as it is supposed to work....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That is exactly what I would like to see happen. I much prefere that the businesses take it onto themselfs. You would think by now that they would notice that many out there don't like to be around smoking. I don't want government to step in. We won't go into many places because of the smoke. Layoutshooter

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
yes..some businesses only have themselves to blame if and when the state steps in a regulates them and then they cry about the interference....they should have made to move sooner to regulate themselves....

Tax Facts from nocigtax.com

The excise tax on one pack of cigarettes in Michigan is currently $2.

Take a closer look at the cigarette tax dollars being collected in Michigan in FY2007.

Excise Taxes Sales Taxes Tobacco Settlement Payments Total Smoker Payments FY2007
State: Michigan

Total Smoker Cigarette Payments
Average Cigarette Profits

Per year: $1,551,049,000
Per day: $4,246,541
Per hour: $176,939
Per minute: $2,949
Per second: $49.15

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I not sure about some rural areas but for sure in bigger cities bars, clubs restatraunts that were non-smoking would do gang-busters. As would those that advertised being an establishment that allows smoking. We are on the same page on this one
OVM. Layoutshooter

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I not sure about some rural areas but for sure in bigger cities bars, clubs restatraunts that were non-smoking would do gang-busters. As would those that advertised being an establishment that allows smoking. We are on the same page on this one
OVM. Layoutshooter

Same page? ME?? You? Holy cow gotta put that one on my scorecard!*LOL*

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
Greg said " I want to know who put the note on my truck that said Lassie come home"

I think it was Rudd Weatherwax.... he missed you too!

Last edited:

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
"We have a choice to make, either it will be communism or fascism. Both will bring us to our knees and subjugate us in ways we could never imagine."

You mean like what happened to Ned Beatty in Deliverance?

tallcal101

Veteran Expediter
Hi Greg,
Well,well well you live to discuss another day. I have not been hangin around this nut bin much myself.Between the masked racist blabber and the Commie this Soiclaist that it's a real meditation on the whole Bush legacy. My God Greg,the Republicans stole our rights,tortured (then destroyed the evidence)enriched their buddies and handed Wall Street over to the thieves to plunder for their greedy selves.And you know what?I called the whole ball game years ago.I must say,you always did a yomans job of defending the crooks and killers and baffons,but to no avail I'm afraid.

Do you recall my rantings about the black hole called the Iraq war Greg? That maybe we took our eyes off the real bad guys? And maybe we were spending all our rich's on contractors who were ripping us off? That some day the chickens would come home to roost? Do your recall my predicting that Bush and his eleite corps of brain dead ruthless crooks would eventually destroy our way of life and set themselves and their croonies up for life? Oh Greg,how I wish I was wrong. How I wish the brain dead posters and posers on this forum were actually reflecting positive conservitive thought instead of tossing about jiberish.
California has had some serious set backs.I believe in Arnold and his vision,it's hardly Republican,but he's a solid politician who cares.This guy gets it and should be allowed to run for Federal office.He has the ability to bring people together and truly reach's across party lines.With Rush as the now official spokesman for the GOP it's laughable. Did you catch Bobby Jindals post State of the Union diatribe?I thought of you that night Greg and the great pain you had to be feeling.Sorry man.
As I have stated so many times in the past,we are a nation that has been hijacked for the last 8 years.They did such a splendid job that it will take an enormous effort to lead us out of the muck and darkness,not to mention madness.Only a group like those forgetable charecters could have achieved the ultimate failure.They were like the perfect storm. They were the perfect storm.I am so happy not to have to be reminded how 911 gave them all the license to act wacky and criminal. I hope they try to use it during their trials. There will be trials.
So lets keep on topic Greg,your a pro at that,and let these dim headlights spew their narrow mineded hateful drival somewhere else.Time to take control of the forum.
Hope your well.

TC

Last edited:

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Hi Tallcal101
Well, well, well you have lived to discuss another day. I for one have missed your commentary, even though we don't agree on much politically. Still, you make me think about different perspectives on issues and that's a good thing.

You're a living, breathing paradox to me, Tallcal. How can a man be so likeable, yet be so wrong? Please remember most of what I write is pure gibberish tossed together for dramatic effect having no semblance to truth. I never, never cut and paste. I just cut. *L*

Anyways, good to see you back. It's always more fun when you're here. Now, take control of the forum....

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Tallcal,

I actually had the chance to get into your area just before the end of last year but I could not remember your last name and that just put a damper on the whole trip so I passed on it. I was going to take you up on your offer of the food and drinks.

I did make it to DC, got a tour of the capital and so on and then sat down with a couple congressmen who were *cough* democrat. I was one of a few who were down there to speak for a charity but I wanted to meet the pres like others did earlier in the week. I almost met your congressman (ah woman) and wanted to ask her to please please help those poor unfortunate people in Gitmo by fixing up the Rock and shipping them there. I understand that the US owns it but the natives are claiming it, so we can let them have it and pay them to house these poor folk. It was a fun trip but people are stranger now than ever.

Got to tell you that California is getting to be a scary place. Talk about losing your rights, what the hell is wrong there, you all passed a constitutional amendment and now it is being challenged in court? The republicans could not think up something that bizarre to steal any rights away. I thought the state assembly had an obligation with the governor to tell the courts not to hear the case because it is follows your constitution in manner and execution? You all lost your right to vote out there if it is over turned and it is sad that it will lead the country into the abyss. Don’t get me wrong, the cause is irrelevant to the voting rights issue and the court actions; the cause has a lot of merit not based on marriage but individual rights.

No I didn’t get to watch Hollywood squares that night. I read Jidal’s response and after so many years of this, got to ask why is either party responding to what the president is saying in his annual address. It seems a real waste of time to even have the address, regardless who it is and a bigger waste of time responding.

Well the rush thing is funny, I stopped listening to him for a long time and just before his little speech, I started again to get some entertainment. He has it all wrong, like other talk show hosts and they, the Republican Party has put steel in charge which is like putting carter in charge of a prison. Steel is going to tear the party apart and you will have one party rule for a long time to come. I can’t stress that we seriously need balance in the government, not one party rule. I think that the GOP needs to reinvent itself more than just rebuild. They ignored the Gays and others thanks to the far right and they seriously need to get it together in regards of communications. I see that McCain’s daughter said they need to learn how to communicate and the campaign ruined her sex life.

Hijacked for 8 years, no not really, I think it was more like 3. There was a really good point made in one of the op-eds the other week that the republicans did more to work with the democrats during the bush administration than they ever did before but it is not what was promised by the leadership of the dems recently. It went through a whole list of bills that were democrat sponsored during their time of control and it was surprising to hear from a lot of the left that there was no cooperation in Washington during those years. My last trip I heard what the dems changed in both he house and senate rules, it sounded like the people's commissariat to me. Debate not being allowed and so on, the repubs never were that restrictive.

How is everything going over there? Still in business? Travel much?

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Suddenly my world is back on its axis...(small world ya know)
Glad to see you back Greg and to see TC in the same thread is better than a HBO ticket.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Suddenly my world is back on its axis...(small world ya know)
Glad to see you back Greg and to see TC in the same thread is better than a HBO ticket.

Mike Pass the popcorn...time for the Gregg and TC show...sponsored by the friendly folks at EO...:D

tallcal101

Veteran Expediter
Still in the moving business,working on a large mine on the Zambia/Congo (DRC) border.
Been over a couple of times. Running trucks from Joburg to Lubambashi 3 times a month full of mine infrastructure materials and household goods for the new living quarters. Talk about a run,try 850 miles through 3 African borders with security on board.Tears up the trucks up so much they have to have the cabs be re riveted and the under carriage rebuilt after each trip. But it pays well !! These team drivers are my new hero's.
I bought part ownership in our newest business line,car hauling. Mostly from west coast auctions to all points. Thats our new name,All Points Auto Shipping. Five 10 car stingers on the road right now and a couple of 5 car racks for local west coast work.
I'm trying to get into the enclosed business down the road.

I wrote an article for mining.com which you can read on line.It's a magazine for the mining trades,but they have a copy on their website. The article is called "Miners On The Move: The Logistics of Remote Relocations". Check it out.Won't win any writers awards,but it was fun to write.Still working on the Great American novel,over 2500 pages at this point.
I'm glad to see your all still working and thriving. Your a great bunch of people.
TC