GPS

Roadpilot

Expert Expediter
For anyone out there new to this, whether you do local or long distance, I highly recommend buying a GPS( if your company doesn't provide one) They aren't perfect and nothing can help you if the dispatcher gives wrong information to you. But it has saved me much time and aggravation in doing this job for six months.

Do some shopping around, I purchase mine for $400 (discontinued, refurbished) from Amazon.com or Ebay. I don't leave home without it ( or a set of maps and an atlas just in case.)

G

I totally agree. I have the Magellan 700, and I could not live without it. It is not a toy. It is one of the most useful tools I own.

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
I agree, even though I currently don't have one. I do have a laptop with mapping software and did utilize a small GPS unit with it last year and worked ok but prone to errors that were workable. For anyone in this business either a full standalone GPS or the laptop with one that connects is invaluable. I prefer the laptop as I can do much more with it as well as mapping. But to each their own preference.
Rob Fis

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
I have both, the 700 is more user friendly for our business. Reason no taking your eyes away from the windshield. Know where your going first this is where the lap top is a beneficial tool as you do not want to trust the 700 to the T as it will dissipoint you from time to time.

bcurt

Expert Expediter
I have been using my laptop with a software program with GPS, it has been very helpful... The downside it doesn't have voice, so you have to look down at it ( stop lights)once in awhile to update urself..I feel it has saved me alot of fuel.. Looking to upgrade, to voice, any recommendations....bcurt

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Do they make a GPS for truckers that takes things like low bridges and truck restrictions into consideration ?

theend

Expert Expediter
There's a thread already for GPS.
One of them recommended a program for truckers for computers. Try to find that thread and find the name of it. I checked it out and it sounded pretty good. I think it takes into consideration bridges, etc. Don't know if it talks.
Bridge height, tunnels, and hazmat info would be the ideal.
The 2nd best choice, depending on how reliable that one is, would be DelOrme and it does talk to you.
I have M S&T w/o the antenae. It's not failproof. I found that if I don't put in the company name - just the address and city,st,zc I do better.

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
COPilot Truck Laptop 4 <http://www.dieselboss.com/>
will inform you with or without voice commands about bridges and a host of other important information.
Here's link abowhere I bought mine <http://www.dieselboss.com/Travrout/cptruck.htm>
I've used it regularly for the last 6 months and have been quite pleased with system.
If you check archives on GPS you'll find several threads and a ton of information you may find helpful.

John

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Thanx to Broompilot, I'm gellin' with the magellin 700 (COSTCO $799). I have not been disappointed with any of the door to door directions yet. Any address to any other, USA and most of Canada. I'm told by a Tour Bus driver friend that the $1000 garmin has auto, bus, and truck route options.

Terry

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have copilot 4 and it is ok but has faults. There are many locations that don't register. The best you can do is a cross street to the desired street. Sometimes it will tell you "continue south on interstate xx" when you are really going north. I'd rate it currently as a 5.5-6. It does have settings for 53' and hazmat. You have to choose 53' to get bridge warnings etc. from it.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

ACE

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have a Garmin and it does offer you the option of putting in what type vehicle you are driving.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
friscomike, it is a toy and you could live without it. Technology is a great thing, but there is a lot that can still be done as it was many, many years ago. Getting from point A to point B is one of them.

Sometimes I almost feel Amish. I think I'll go party like it's 1899!

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
>friscomike, it is a toy and you could live without it.
>
>Sometimes I almost feel Amish. I think I'll go party like
>it's 1899!

Hardly a "toy", a GPS system is a time saving, money making tool that has a place in any driver's arsenal. In this day and age you can't afford to be plodding around looking for an address. You gotta get in, get unloaded and be ready for the next load.

The world is round!! Keep that Amish buggy well to the right because the 21st century and I are passing fast on yer left!!

Rex

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i run local in hampton roads area and love my garmin 2610 got from tvnav.com for 950.00 dollars and they take comcheck, check
master card etc, and even lay away when you reach price quoted
they will ship it off to ya great people and they will also load card for you to cheaper than 2620

Roadpilot

Expert Expediter
>What model are you talking about?
>
>Thanks
>John

My Streetpilot has the same option. Since I think Garmin uses the same base map and basic information for all GPS they make, there are many similarities. I notice that when I pick up at an airport, the airport is shown in great detail (runways,taxiways,etc.) As a pilot, I've used Garmin avionics and GPS before, they are one of the leaders. My Streetpilot shares a lot with the last GPS I used in a plane.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
check out walmart they have very good prices
prices are always going down so have to check'm all out for the best price