GPS systems and computers

mschimmel

Expert Expediter
We're looking for recommendations on GPS systems, mapping software and computers. My husband has only been on the road a few weeks (yes, he is finally back on the road!)and he has learned that the dispatch operators do not give really 'great' directions. He has wasted driving time and fuel trying to find places. I searched previous messages and have learned somethings but I'm wondering if some of the recommendations may be out dated since they were from a few years ago.

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
There's a current GPS thread in the "Newbie" forum.

I use CoPilot Truck Laptop4 and I think it's a very good program. Lots of adjustments enable you to get the set-up that you want.
Check out: www.alk.com

Don't throw out the Motor Carriers Atlas.

Rex

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
myself love my garmin 2610 and my laptop with delomore
put address in garmin and goes right to it
as long as it is not a new street or subdivion (hate new streets)
as there not on any map or soft ware yet
when going to a new place alway look for the oldest person in room
or place as he will know most of time where you want to go
look for ups guy or fedex ,us mail person, or a pizza place
check out tvnav.com, great prices on garmin
laptops check qvc on tv or the net also local places to
most important part is service on laptop or support
and get extend warranty to part ask what will it due for me

mschimmel

Expert Expediter
thanks, I must have done something wrong with my search when I was looking for GPS and did not see the messages on Newbies. I think I limited my search. I'm still learning too!

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I got started I went with Microsoft Streets and Trips, with GPS. E-bay for around 81.00. I had a Dell laptop with docking station I strap on Passenger seat on camping pillow. Works great. Gets you right to or very close where you need to be. You can up date to keep you informed of exits and turns, and re-route you if you make a wrong turn or miss an exit.

Keep your Atlas as stated in another post.

Steady

Roadpilot

Expert Expediter
I bought a refurbished, discontinued Garmin Streetpilot III off of Amazon.com for $400. It has paid for itself many times over, in fuel saved and my sanity. As was mentioned, get the newest one you can ( or can afford). I believe the database in mine is about 3 years old, lots of new stuff was built in three years.

The GPS isn't fool-proof, but it's pretty accurate 90% of the time ( more remote areas tend to be less accurate). If the programmers of the GPS (or map makers) were given bad information, it will find its way into the GPS. Example: "Anytown Dr. becomes "Anytown Rd." simply by reversing two letters. Or a street winds up with three different names within a few miles within the same Zip Code or city.

I do mostly local, so I keep a local street atlas and some back-up "real" maps in case. But knock on wood, the GPS has been good. Plus, many of them have a trip computer function. It keeps track of your average speed, max speed, miles driven, time stopped,etc.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Megillan has a new unit out I took the 700 back got the new updated unit and a store credit for $400. Beat that!

If your gona buy these units do it at Cotsco. If I purchased this at Best Buy I would have had to send it back to the company for repair. Costco really stands behind its customers. I was not asking for the store credit but hey lucky me I won the lottery finially.

These units are exact, small, user friendly and you do not take your eyes off the road to read the computer on the seat next to you. It will also tell you when to turn or just before. Has tons of options built into it, locating fuel, banks, etc..... It to has paid for itself, I do not know how this industry got along with out it years ago, dark, unmarked warehouse you name it.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm going to pick up Microsoft Streets and Trips 2006 with GPS when I go home in 2 weeks to pick up the new truck. It's on sale at CompUSA for $80 right now. I've tried to like and adapt to CoPilot Truck 4 but it has too many errors and omissions in the maps.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

G

I have the Magellan 700, which can currently be purchased at Sam's for $750. As Broompilot noted, this unit is fantastic. The Garmin 2620 is also a great unit.

theend

Expert Expediter
Magellan 700 vs Micro Street & Trips.
Can you put it the whole address including Name, Street, City, and Zip and come up with your destination every time with Magellan 700?
I found that I would have to leave off Company Name, and even then sometimes get Georgia wherever vs. Georgia, US. So I would just have to highlight GA, find the City, and maneuver the map till I found the street - M S&T. (No receiver)
Does the receiver make a difference with this?
I guess that is a basic question with all other systems. Hit and miss or accurate?

woodman5455

Expert Expediter
I also use Co-Pilot Laptop 4. I have been very happy with the product because I can set it up the way I want. I can set it for a hasmat trip when I am on one.

I also just started to use Microsoft Streets software and do not know alot about it. Check your library I found the Microsoft software there. You can borrow it for free and download it on to your computer.

garman351

Expert Expediter
We bought the new Cobra Gps unit that sits on the dash or it has suction cups that goes onto the window, and it works great unlike a computer, I'm not sure how they work?

This cobra unit talks to you telling you in a mile you have to make a turn, miles left to the destination and the remaining time to get there. The display has a pointer that actually drives along with you and it has a big five inch screen so it's easy to read. You can save several previous trips into it and it even knows how to take you back home when need a break. It cost us around $900 for it. My drivers love it and it takes away all that stress of trying to find anything or making that wrong turn in heavy traffic. It will show you short cuts to the destination, that actually works. My drivers have helped other drivers with short cuts etc from this unit.

We bought the extended warrenty and we were glad we did, we have gone through two units that shorted out, the third unit is now 8 months old and works great. Make sure you tell them to exchange the unit instead of sending it in for repaires in the original paperwork other wise you will be with out it for a month or so at a time.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Theend:

We only have experience with the Magellin 700 so I can't give a comparison. This unit has options for three different users and each user can permanently store 100 entries which include: name, street and street number, and state. You may additionally enter all of the same temporarily. This thing is amazingly accurate for all of the addresses in USA and Canada to which we have been. One exception was an inaccurate listing for a Bank of America in Columbus, OH. The GPS guided us to the address, but no bank there.

Terry

Panzer

Expert Expediter
This months PC Magazine (Nov 8th) has a nice roundup of many GPS units. Garmin was rated the best for auto/truck use, IIRC.