Google announces it's tracking users. You can't opt out.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Google said Tuesday it will require users to allow the company to follow their activities across e-mail, search, YouTube and other services, a radical shift in strategy that is expected to invite greater scrutiny of its privacy and competitive practices.

The information will enable Google to develop a fuller picture of how people use its growing empire of Web sites. Consumers will have no choice but to accept the changes.

Google tracks consumers across products, users can’t opt out - The Washington Post

Isn't that just peachy.

Dale

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
So where is our suspiciously quiet American Criminals Lobbyist Union when there is actually something they should speak out against? We can only hope there will be enough outrage and resistance to reverse it. I doubt we can depend on those anti-Constitution liberal leftist scum for anything.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Google has been doing this for awhile (remember Google adsense?) truth is if you go to any social network or site that hosts banners you will see banners/popup's for anything you have recently Googled..
I feel really violated sometimes when I go to Disney Vacations and get pop ups for nekkid midgets:(
I mean really I haven't liked nekkid people for 5 weeks at least..

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Oh, it gets even better - check out this "solution" from a self-appointed truth purveyor (aka censor) from the Ministry of The Divine Truth (WaPo and Slate apparently) on what to do about things search engines turn up that don't fit the "sanctioned narrative" of "how things ought to be":

Warning: This Site Contains Conspiracy Theories

Last edited:

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
Oh, it gets even better - check out this "solution" from a self-appointed truth purveyor (aka censor) from the Ministry of The Divine Truth (WaPo and Slate apparently) on what to do about things search engines turn up that don't fit the "sanctioned narrative" of "how things ought to be":

Warning: This Site Contains Conspiracy Theories
you might of scared some people withe the conspiracy theory words. I my self like to say Truth Statements.:)

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Google isn't just the problem, there are ad providers who actually target you by reading your cookies and history (** simplified version) and present ads that are related to your viewing habits.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
So where is our suspiciously quiet American Criminals Lobbyist Union when there is actually something they should speak out against?
Actually, I think that they are presently quite busy trying to hold the rampants against things being enabled by the general complacency and flaccidness of the statist "law and order" cheerleading crowd - stuff like the recent Warrant-less GPS Tracking case heard and found to be unconstitutional by The Supremes (U.S. v. Jones, filed an amicus in the case), fought against the NSA Warrant-less Surveillance Program by suing the Feds and the Telco's, SOPA and PIPA, the Patriot Act (oxymoron if ever there was one - probably should have been called The Subservient Citizen Bootlicker Act), the NDAA and indefinite detention and extra-judicial assassination of American citizens without due process of law .....

We can only hope there will be enough outrage and resistance to reverse it. I doubt we can depend on those anti-Constitution liberal leftist scum for anything.
Well, it's always reassuring to know that the citizenry have their priorities in the correct place: ...... concern over what conditions a commercial business entity might impose for voluntary use of their (free) services ...... versus the ever-growing power of a de facto police state ..... :rolleyes:

That's not say there should be no concern whatsoever with this sort of thing ..... particularly where there exists a potential nexus with the state .....

If you don't like it, don't patronize them - vote with your fingers and mouse ....

BTW, you are aware are you not, that:

In 1990 the ACLU also defended Lieutenant Colonel Oliver North, whose conviction was tainted by coerced testimony — a violation of his fifth amendment rights ?

That during the 2004 trial regarding allegations of Rush Limbaugh's drug abuse, the ACLU argued that his privacy should not have been compromised by allowing law enforcement examination of his medical records ?

And that in 2006, the ACLU of Washington State joined with the Second Amendment Foundation, and filed a lawsuit against the North Central Regional Library District in Washington State for its policy of refusing to disable restrictions on an adult patron's request for access pro-gun web sites ?

However it certainly is a mixed bag ....

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, I'm aware that now and then the blind squirrel finds a nut. Yes, there are some important things going on and potentially they may be involved. You can bet they would be right there with the resources to handle 100 cases wrongfully equating observing with establishing though.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
The following is the type public/private nexus that I referred to earlier - the problem is that governmental entities are appropriately constrained on what they can do in certain situations with information of private citizens.

The apparent solution is for governmental agencies to farm certain functions out to the private sector (which is not under similar constraints) as a way to effectively bypass safeguards, often doing an end run around the intent of the law. The following is not the only instance of this that I've run across - just the most recent one:

Capitalizing on one of the fastest-growing trends in law enforcement, a private California-based company has compiled a database bulging with more than 550 million license-plate records on both innocent and criminal drivers that can be searched by police.

Remainder of article:

Private Company Hoarding License Plate Data On US Drivers