Goodbye Twinkies?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Got to love the Union Mentality...to paraphrase, "if the BK judge tosses the contracts, the unions will go on strike....Let the unions go on strike...then close the doors, liquidate the company, and reopen under another name and DO NOT hire a single ex union employee....screw'em....bounce all 18,500 union employees out on their azzes...

Goodbye Twinkies? Hostess Fights Unions In Bankruptcy Court, ‘They Won’t Work For Nothing’
By Anila Alexander
April 17, 2012 4:39 PM EDT
Goodbye Twinkies? Hostess Fights Unions In Bankruptcy Court, ?They Won?t Work For Nothing? - International Business Times

From the link above:

"As much as 50 cents of every dollar Hostess Brands contributes goes to pay for pensions for people who worked at other companies that no longer exist and who never worked at Hostess Brands, IBC or any other predecessor of [Hostess]," the company said according to the New York Post. "Unfortunately, we can no longer afford to carry the pension costs of former competitors who have long since closed their doors and disappeared."

Hostess and the unions can agree on one thing: a strike would destroy the company.
"We would no longer have cash to keep operating," said Hostess management in a letter sent to employees on Monday. "All Hostess Brands operations would shut down and liquidation would begin. The 18,500 jobs, plus the health insurance that comes with them, would be lost for good."

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Thats pretty much what would happen. Close up and re-open with non-union employees. Happens all the time.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I was wondering myself what was going on. Fox news about a month ago said they were no more, yet a friend of mine gave me a bag full, said she got them free with coupons. Again now on sale for less than a buck. Can't support even non union with that kind of price. LOVE those choc/ cup cakes, mmmmmmmmmmmmh.:cool:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
this is coming from the Top of the "international unions" not the locals...they are trying to make a show of power and kill hostess off for their trying to get rid of the bs pension plans for people that NEVER WORKED FOR HOSTESS...they want to show other companies, "screw with those outdated underfundered unsustainable pension plans and we will kill your company off too"...

screw these unions....but what do you want to bet barry will stick his 2 cents in before too long???

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
this is coming from the Top of the "international unions" not the locals...they are trying to make a show of power and kill hostess off for their trying to get rid of the bs pension plans for people that NEVER WORKED FOR HOSTESS...they want to show other companies, "screw with those outdated underfundered unsustainable pension plans and we will kill your company off too"...

screw these unions....but what do you want to bet barry will stick his 2 cents in before too long???

Certainly a possibility. He didn't have a problem doing it with the auto industry or Boeing. Remember "everyone has to do their fair share".

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Let'em take a look at Eastern Airlines..... 2 years after they closed up. Atlanta Airport had Eastern Airlines pilots still walking the picket line... That was funny. They thought o'Frank was pulling their legs.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Unions have always been a bad idea imho. Get rid of them all and use nonunion employees to do the job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robh2

Veteran Expediter
If you accept a job at a decent pay, that is your choice. If you dont like your pay or environment, find another job. Most people dont work with unions and they get paid on their performance.

Most every union company I have done business with, had slackers making more than me and doing nothing. I was not allowed to do anything when I came in, I could just tell the union guys what I needed and they would do it for me so that I could fix some of the gear in auto plants. If they were not on break, they were chatting and making me wait. I would fire most everyone of them if they worked for me.

I know some people are not treated fair and women are usually not paid the same as men and that is wrong. But, find a job that pays a fair wage or dont work there.

Sorry, I get tired of working with union employees.

Robert

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Little Debbie has already started marketing their version of Twinkies and Chocolate Cupcakes with the white drizzle icing.

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

OldGuy

Active Expediter
Unions started as legitimate and good for the factory worker, it helped them and their families make a living and not be in dangerous situations.

Now the unions are filled with power hungry idiots who don't care about the individual nor the company that the union workers are hired through. They want money and power.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Unions started as legitimate and good for the factory worker, it helped them and their families make a living and not be in dangerous situations.

Now the unions are filled with power hungry idiots who don't care about the individual nor the company that the union workers are hired through. They want money and power.

Amen. Growing up, I watched the union look out for my father and his coworkers, then morph into a self-serving egomaniacal entity that did the absolute bare minimum to placate the rank and file during my late husband's tenure.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
I just delivered to Paxtuxent NAS, and there were some Union jackballs, picketting the base, I think they were UAW. Anyway as I crept by the pickiteers, they shook there sgns that said honk "Honk if you support the Union",

I didn't honk, I did make eye contact with a few of them as I shook my head disapprovingly.

LOL, I hate Unions. Imagine going on strike with real unemployment running 12%, oh well.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
I am in the IBEW because I have to be to get in to union job sites (Mall of america and other big jobs)...

It's funny. I don't get squat for my money. I set my rates, I deal with the builder to get my rate they just take my dues and call and ask if I want more from my employer (Me) and if I'd like to strike (walk out on myself.. thats funny) to get it. This is the same union that left me on the bench for years during the good times and caused me to clean out my van and sign on with panther..

wait.. they do do something for me. when on a job site other union members are always on my case for working to hard.

well duh.. I am paid by the JOB not the HOUR.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter

Investments. The media didn't mention that, no? Of course not. It wouldn't be sensational.

Many union dues have "X" amount set aside for pension investment. This money is then invested by the union into other ventures, for example Fidelity Investments. Fidelity is associated with pensions for GM. However, Fidelity offers other fiduciary products and services as well.

Naturally, the media and the self-victimizing are going to assume that a Hostess employee is paying someone elses pension. In reality, their union is merely investing in a company that handles pensions. No one has point-blank stated which company or entity of said company this money was invested.

Most things are not what they seem on the surface. Too many people can be easily led by company cheerleaders who sensationalize what is superficial and not the whole truth. It's more fun that way.

Last edited: