Goodbye to the J

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Let me tell you they are more expensive there is no free shower there is a sub today shower
We've been down this road before. More than once. Flying/Pilot's posted gas prices are usually no more or no less than the the truckstop across the street. We do pay more for the convenience of fueling at the top of an exit ramp rather than driving into a town. Costco and Sam's Club require a membership which is not free. We pay $125 for our Costco membership but I rarely use it on the road due to limited hours and limited locations. If I stay at a Walmart I will purchase gas at the Papa Murphy because they are usually several cents a gallon cheaper than a gas station across the street.

As for the subsidized showers at the Flying/Pilot, if you want to split roller dogs with a sharp knife, then yeah, the showers are not free. Neither is the parking, the :censoredsign:, the 10ͭʰ cup of coffee or the overall ambiance. When I need a shower I take it at a Flying/Pilot. I'm not spending $10 or $12 at another truck stop. Maybe some day Love's will cater to expediters in gasoline powered vans. Until that day its the Flying/Pilot and Wet Ones® for me.
wet ones.jpg

Charity's Van

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
my van runs on gas. i fuel at the pilot/fly j because of price. i check with my gas buddy before i pay for gas just to be sure i get a good price. i get the 3 cent discount with the loyality card along with the half shower credit. i also get 5 cent discount with my gas buddy card. i joined planet fitness for showers and wifi. i give my shower credits to another friend. i took a picture of my loyality pilot card bar code. he brings it up on his phone that they scan at register for the shower. it dosent require a membership card to fuel at sams club, i use them often too. as for quality of pilot gas i find no difference than most brands. i do like BP and Chevron the best though.

Reactions: Moot and kg

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
Quick easy access usually wins over price for me.
I use gas credits at pilot/flyin j for showers. Those places are usually the cleanest and fastest.
I too wish that Loves was van friendly because they seem well managed with seldom a bad window wash bucket or wiper.

Stay safe
KG

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Whether at a Pilot or a Flying J, they have it down to a science...
Regardless of how many registers are open, they're one short.
Pretty much the same thing at the car fuel islands. If there is washer fluid in the bucket and it isn't frozen, then there is not squeegee scrubber thing. If there's a squeegee scrubber thing, washer fluid in liquid form, then there are no paper towels. It's rare to hit the trifecta. If you do hit all three there won't be any paper in the receipt printer. I continue to patronize Flying/Pilots for the large parking areas and "subsidized" showers. 13½ years with the same carrier I've become a more tolerant person and have embraced most forms of stupidity.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
We've been down this road before. More than once. Flying/Pilot's posted gas prices are usually no more or no less than the the truckstop across the street. We do pay more for the convenience of fueling at the top of an exit ramp rather than driving into a town. Costco and Sam's Club require a membership which is not free. We pay $125 for our Costco membership but I rarely use it on the road due to limited hours and limited locations. If I stay at a Walmart I will purchase gas at the Papa Murphy because they are usually several cents a gallon cheaper than a gas station across the street.

As for the subsidized showers at the Flying/Pilot, if you want to split roller dogs with a sharp knife, then yeah, the showers are not free. Neither is the parking, the :censoredsign:, the 10ͭʰ cup of coffee or the overall ambiance. When I need a shower I take it at a Flying/Pilot. I'm not spending $10 or $12 at another truck stop. Maybe some day Love's will cater to expediters in gasoline powered vans. Until that day its the Flying/Pilot and Wet Ones® for me.
View attachment 19725
I basically agree with your points Moot...I was a Speedway nut quite often...There can be at times if you watch thier app 20-40 cents a gallon difference...which really pushes the subsidy idea...especially when Speedway are so accessible for us vanners.."at times"... :) but I digress...the FlyingJ/Pilot is as or more convenient "at times"..then again you slept there so much more as I was a Wally Worm and would chose them first... different strokes for different folks.. :)

Reactions: Moot

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I basically agree with your points Moot..
Yeah, Moot Points are way better than Speedway Points but harder to earn and even more difficult to redeem.

the FlyingJ/Pilot is as or more convenient "at times"..then again you slept there so much more as I was a Wally Worm and would chose them first... different strokes for different folks.. :)
I'm about 60/40 truckstops to Wally World. If I can get by without a shower I will hit Wally World or a Loves.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan