Good versus bad

royalty1956

Seasoned Expediter
How come there is no way as a driver other than word of mouth to find out bad owners in the expediting business? Why do they seem to be protected? You would think that someone would have put up a website about these deadbeat owners.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Where's the Web site for deadbeat drivers?

When you start putting up Web sites and publicly commenting on someone, there's the issue of proof that must go along with it. Otherwise it's just a he-said, she-said deal that can become libelous if anyone manages to show actual damages. Plus, I can't tell you how many times someone has come on here with a gripe that turned out to be based largely on a misconception or misunderstanding of how things were supposed to work.

Angil82

Seasoned Expediter
Just as there are situations of bad owners, there are such things as bad drivers as well. There are the drivers that don't wash the truck, deadhead a million miles to go home, turn loads down, trash the inside of the truck, etc. Some of these bad drivers are not willing to take the blame for what they did wrong, and point blame at a good owner, to make it seem like a bad owner. I have encountered this so many times. I have worked for people that I didn't like because I cared more about their truck than they did, but other people LOVE them. However, I have heard people talk crap on owners that are great! There are two sides to every story, and its best that you just judge for yourself. As long as there is a contract involved, and you meet your end of the bargain according to said contract, you shouldn't have any problem, and if you do, you have a lawsuit.

psm127_dad

Seasoned Expediter
There are two sides to every story, and its best that you just judge for yourself. As long as there is a contract involved...

Just in the past 10 days I have talked to drivers that happened to have previously driven for the same owner. 2 teams did not have much good to say about the owner, and 2 teams basically said "If he says something, you can bank on it!" ... you'd think these 4 people were talking about different owners, but they were talking about the same guy.

Good judgment, check references and get a contract that both parties sign.

doug

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
How come there is no way as a driver other than word of mouth to find out bad owners in the expediting business? Why do they seem to be protected? You would think that someone would have put up a website about these deadbeat owners.

Once again the "seniors" on this forum have turned the tables of the original post to divert blame! Shame on you. Stick to the question and get off your soap box.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Where's the Web site for deadbeat drivers?

When you start putting up Web sites and publicly commenting on someone, there's the issue of proof that must go along with it. Otherwise it's just a he-said, she-said deal that can become libelous if anyone manages to show actual damages. Plus, I can't tell you how many times someone has come on here with a gripe that turned out to be based largely on a misconception or misunderstanding of how things were supposed to work.

so you SAY! How do you know it wasn't legit?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well there are two real issues with this idea, one is if there is a problem it becomes emotional. It becomes a he said/she said type of issue with no real truth coming out. We've seen those here before.

The other is a legal problem when a driver who can't back up their statements on a private owned forum, and causes an owner a monetary loss, the driver and the forum owner can be sued.

The other thing that comes to mind is if the driver is so desperate to jump into any cab without doing their Due Diligence, then they are at fault. They should always treat this like a business transaction where there is a procedure to follow, buying a house is a good example to use in this case. You don't just shake hands and take the keys to the place but have to go through a closing and have things explained to you, like you need to make payments to keep the house. This is the same thing, a contract is advisable, and reading it before you go and sign it is equally important as say finger prints for hazmat endorsement.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Read back through the forums, and you will run across the discussions where the very complainers end up incriminating themselves. Many, many of these misunderstandings are related to working without a contract (if anyone cares to look it up for themself).

eb

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter

That's the way it is with most things.. ie a landlord can't go to a website to see a list of problematic tenants. One would be exposing themselves to lawsuits to post lists of bad people/companies.

You might be able to find some info on 'ripoff.com' or other review sites.

The best thing to do is to belong to some kind of group (such as EO) and ask to be privately messaged for info from members regarding who they feel might be a good or a bad owner, and then weigh for yourself what you want to believe.

Like everyone is saying, what works for one person may not work for another.

golfournut said:
Once again the "seniors" on this forum have turned the tables of the original post to divert blame! Shame on you. Stick to the question and get off your soap box.

That seems to be a weird response considering many have explained the exact answers to the questions asked.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, what ebsprintin said. Time and time again people come on here with one complaint or another, and when you eventually get more details on the situation, it turns out they misunderstood how things work or expected something that was never agreed upon or some situation comes up and the driver doesn't like how the owner wants to deal with it.

That's not to say there aren't deadbeat and bad owners, because there are. Lots of 'em. But that doesn't mean there should be a Web site for a free-for-all with unsubstantiated charges about owners, for the reasons I originally stated.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
That's the way it is with most things.. ie a landlord can't go to a website to see a list of problematic tenants.
Actually they can. In addition to the standard credit report, to which a landlord can report you for being late on the rent, there are landlord associations that keep national databases of financial and criminal backgrounds, plus lists of people who have been foreclosed on or evicted, as well as an overall Risk Score (like a credit score, only for tenants).

Last edited:

Freightdawg

Expert Expediter
Just in the past 10 days I have talked to drivers that happened to have previously driven for the same owner. 2 teams did not have much good to say about the owner, and 2 teams basically said "If he says something, you can bank on it!" ... you'd think these 4 people were talking about different owners, but they were talking about the same guy.

Good judgment, check references and get a contract that both parties sign.

doug
I once worked for a man who I heard bad mouthed quite a bit. All I knew was that he treated me very well, and everything he promised me, he delivered. I took care of his equiptment and did everything I promised.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Actually they can. In addition to the standard credit report, to which a landlord can report you for being late on the rent, there are landlord associations that keep national databases of financial and criminal backgrounds, plus lists of people who have been foreclosed on or evicted, as well as an overall Risk Score (like a credit score, only for tenants).

I just used that as one example.. but for many small landlords (here at least), it isn't financially feasible to pay for the ability to view and report credit; the landlord associations are what will help them the most (IMHO), (and I liken them somewhat to EO), but still, the lists they keep on bad tenants are kind of hush-hush. There can be a lot of problems with tenants that landlords won't want to become involved with if they have the information, which won't be seen on a credit or criminal check. Having contacts in the same industry where info can be shared privately without risk of lawsuits is a real bonus.

fortwayne

Not a Member
The original post - starts off seeking out problems, which already indicates an issue.

Cover yourself with any owner by having a solid contract and you have solved your own soap opera.

I have drove for owners that I liked, had no personal issues with them but had a lame contract and had alot of business conflicts.

I drove for owners that I personally couldn't stand but we had a solid contract and never had any business issues.

I heard the good and bad on all these owners, so researching and talking to past drivers may help in some regards - but without a solid contract with the owner, well nothing else really matters.

Keep in mind, it is just as much your job to make the business relationship work as it is the owners. You have an investment to take care of (yourself) and so does he (the truck.)

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The responses were spot on. I'm wondering what golf our nut, boy that sure sounds painful, was talking about with "diverting blame" and something being "legit"?

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
God family Country.

The service understands this.

The service also understands that if a a member is married they may only have one ENLISTED IN THE CONTRACT>
However the service automaticaly gets 2.

The better Half the wife has the hardest job in the service!! Runs the house hold. Pays the bills and runs things on the home front so the service member can concentrate on whats important the job in hand and not be distracted.
Out in the field one does not need to be worring about monitary funds ect.
The better half usualy the Wife 9 times outa ten has a Power of Attourney sign the service members name and take care of all aspects of the service member while he or she gone.
If you get a prior service member take this into account. You get to 2 for the Price of one as they are a team. The former service member does the Physical labor the better half takes care of the Affairs thus enabling the the other to stay out for such long peroids of time in the field. Be grateful that is a plus.
When the order 86 is given 66 is next.

Taking out the Garbage is my Speciality.

The savory taste of Vension Steaks!!!

Hunting Season is officialy here the Hunted might as well not bother running as it will only die tired.

Last edited:

TS462

Seasoned Expediter
This is a very sore subject with me..All the soap boxers on here keep saying get a contract... The contract is the only thing that will save you from a bad owner... You and I both know its a crock of bull crap.. Because all the owners i know have a contract to befit them not the driver because really we are nothing more than butts in the seat to them... Some of you think that the contract is worth its weight in gold when really its not even worth the paper its written on... Because here is the reason why kids its all civil there is nothing criminal about it.. Sure its morally wrong but no real laws are being broke or atleast thats what my lawyer told me when i went to sue a bad own for not paying me

Last edited: