Good place to move to, as an expediter

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
It is...and no state personal taxes. But it's a long haul to get back into the freight lanes. We think it's worth it.

rollincoal

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You may not pay state income tax in TN, but you do pay outrageous sales tax on everything including food.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

Services are exempt from sales tax but you're right 9.75% is steep. The highest in the nation I believe. I think on groceries it's only 5%. Regardless, I'll take it over a burdensome state income tax anytime.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I don't want to go into details, but unfortunately my wife and I may have to, shall we say, change residence. As an expediter, are there states that are especially advantageous to relocate to? I love PA, and may simply move to the cheaper western side of the state, but I have also considered moving south. What I need to know is, how much does it cost to:
1. Register an 8900 gvw van ($153 in PA)
2. Get set up in business (establish LLC or corporation, get PUC authority, etc)(approx $200 in PA)
3. Does your state impose property tax on vehicles, like Virginia does? (PA does not)

and more generally

4. What are rents like for a two-bedroom house or apartment in your area?
5. What does heat & electricity cost in your area?

I must point out a couple things before I finish: First, my marriage is not in danger; second, the problem is financial but long predates my career in expediting, so don't just blithely tell me to get off the road; and please: I'm hurting here, so no smartaleck comments, okay?

What I need to know the most is, what areas are particularly good to live in for an expediter, and also which ones should I avoid?
I know some states don't fit my political views (sorry, Illinois), some may be too expensive, and some have both problems (NY? NJ? Fuggedaboutit!).
FWIW, my wife could find work just about anywhere, just not for a potful of money.

Thanks for your help, fellow forumers:)

You can find rentals for as little as 500 a month in many states in the
South. Its not rocket science............................

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It is...and no state personal taxes. But it's a long haul to get back into the freight lanes. We think it's worth it.

Tn has that as well, no state income tax, no personal tax. Goods are taxed high at 9.75 %, food a little lower.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
You can move to Laredo area, then when freight is slow you can haul illegals north for a thousand a pop and get back to the freight lanes. LOL!

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
Laredo would be cool get plenty of home time till they get you out most always would be a long run up into a decent area and then when you get ready to go back home from maken bank it would be easy to get back home. so really not a bad answer if you ask me. although I think San Antonio is about as close as I would want to live to Laredo it might work out well for some.

TonyD

Active Expediter
We are relocating from Florida to Tennessee. The location is good. The taxes... look they get there money one way or the other. We like the area. We can swing in and grab the bike and hit the mountains. Work seems to pass us through frequently. It works for us. That is what is important to you. Make it work.

ScottInBama

Expert Expediter
Driver

Wife & I tend to agree with it being worth it! Loved the area and South Dakota. Was actually born in Brookings many moons ago and left in early childhood. Would love to return for good some day.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Nah, Goose, we're good :)

Crich: I could handle SA, I think. But now that the baby is here, I'll be lucky to get past I79! Don'really wanna move, but we'll see how it goes...

Thank all of you very much for your advice :beer:

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i think one good place would on i70 and i 71 give ya heart of system
or 64 in wv also be good this would be in middle of every where
va tax you death