Good Lease Purchase/Know any Good Ones?

ds1450

Expert Expediter
I am a FDCC solo driver for the past 3 years (and will always be that way) trying to find a good lease purchase. After talking to a few on this board I have found a couple and I am looking at all options. Are you under a good lease purchase? If so, would you mind sharing your owners name and number with me? Just send to my e-mail address. I posted here instead of the want ads because I want input from drivers who are operating in this manner. So, Larry & Dave can you leave this up for a few days? I know it's been slow but where I run, business doesn't look to bad and I am going a bit stir crazy being home for the past 3 months. Also, if you know anyone that I should steer clear of.. let me know, privately.. I don't want to invite any bashing on the site. Thanks for the help. [email protected]

ds1450

Expert Expediter
Hmm.. no responses.. i anyone running under a lease purchase? How is it working out/ Any thoughts based on past experience?

ds1450

Expert Expediter
HELP! Need Info Please

HI Again..

I hate talking to myself and just wondering if there is anyone that has bought through a lease purchase. you would seem to think this was common but I may have made a mistake. I bought 2 vans in this manner and it worked out well. Straight trucks are more but I have spoke with people in the past who have done this. I can understand that few may not want to let a good thing out but there should be owners willing to settle for stability instead of seat jumpers that can be prevalent in our industry. Would love some advice, names anything that would help. PM me, email or call. [email protected].

Thanks

VBobby

Seasoned Expediter
Re: HELP! Need Info Please

Hey ds,

I'd be interested to hear about a lease purchase experience as well. Thanks for asking. This will bump your question back to the top for a while any way.

By the way, I'd also like to hear how you are doing operating solo. Are you in a straight truck?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think there might be one possibly two people that had indicated their lease purchase wasn't too bad. I don't know they ever completed the contract? I would do a searc

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think there might be one possibly two people that had indicated their lease purchase wasn't too bad. I don't know they ever completed the contract? I would do a search on lease purchases and review those.
As mentioned before, in my experience here on EO, I don't recall ever seeing a post outside of those two that had a positive result.
There is usually a horror story to follow.
Remember, if someone is lease purchasing a truck rather than selling it outright, there is usually a reason.
I would keep a very OPEN mind before jumping into one of these kinds of deals.

ds1450

Expert Expediter
My past experience with lease purchase went very well. I drove for a bit and was offered the van. I ended up buying 2 vans and paying per week until paid off. Worked fine and we still stay in contact even though those vans are long gone. (driver problems) The reason he got involved with me was he was having major driver issues and saw how I ran and thought it was better to sell to me and get paid than have to worry about seat jumpers and chasing his truck around the country. So, I moved back up to straight trucks and assumed it should be easy to find an owner who would like a little piece of mind, I in turn would own a truck that I otherwise can't afford to go buy. Tight credit, daughter in college etc. That said, I could get a loan on a truck through a dealer but the rates are too high and getting on the road would suck up my road reserve and I will not go out enough funds to get out of a jam. Been there, done that. So.. here I am. I had a fixed payment every week, no percentage and it worked very well. I have only worked for 3 people in expediting and all were great. I consider myself very lucky. Right now I am not in a hurry as I am home but really want to get out soon. I have heard from a couple of owners and we are talking. I would like to hear from more.

As far as running solo... I have always done better than average. But I always stay in a particular box, rarely venturing out unless it was a nice long load over the weekend (love those) I always held my rate much to the chagrin of my dispatcher. I run with FDCC because for what I do they are the best. Solo with Panther worked only in a van and I don't believe any solo driver makes money with the cat in a straight truck... Good company, but they are a team company only. I have been off this winter because I was away for 2 years and needed the break to take care of home for a while. That has been done.

A big THANKS to everyone who emailed me privately to avoid certain people with lease offers. Thank you for not putting the names here and warning me at the same time. Dave and the guys on the board who emailed have been a big help. You all would think I was nuts to want to go back out but while I am making very good money home, I am working 3 times as hard to get it... and I have a BOSS... YUCK! Besides, you can't beat the tax benefits and like I said I do far better than average. Anyone wants to get a hold of me, use the pm here or e-mail [email protected]

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Couldn't you Google "Lease Purchase"?. Bearing in mind you REALLY need an Attorney who specializes in Lease Purchase contracts to reveiw ANY contract you may enter into.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
years back,I did a lease purchase with a driver that was contracted to me.the truck was 3 years old and she retained the title in 1 year.she made money,I made money ,and she got the truck with a $1.00 buy out,and I got rid of a head ache

ds1450

Expert Expediter
Update. I did negotiate a lease purchase and so far, so good. Took a little while but I did hear from a boatload of people who just wanted to get out. In my opinion, they drank the Kool Aid and had no idea what they were getting into. Too bad. I wish them all the best. This arrangement came about because the owner was tired of the driver problems and it was worth it to him to just get rid of the headache involved with finding people that had a clue. I have been out in my new truck for over 6 weeks and while it is slower, I have run very well and I owe that to experience and knowing how my carrier works. Thanks to all that had contacted me and helped with their input.