GOOD COMPANY

lrjet

Seasoned Expediter
Any one know which company is good for a solo "D" UNIT. I talked to con-way now and he was very negative. When I asked to talk to some drivers he told me they we all unhappy because they were not getting any miles and this was there recruiter. ANYONE LIKE WERE THEY WORK?

PS--CON-WAY NOW WANTS TEAMS.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I can't imagine who you talked to in recruiting that would have been that negative. All companies prefer teams. Some are better for solo than others. I'd be looking at Con-Way, Panther, and Express-1 for solo. That's not an exhaustive list, just a few good ones. Good luck.

Leo Bricker, owner trucks 3034, 4958
OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

bryan

Veteran Expediter
HI
Was he being negative or just honest.This is not for everyone.If he told you, you would be sitting somewhere for hours and sometimes days waiting on a load, thats honesty.That you don't get paid for all miles driven, you will have unpaid empty miles, thats honesty.That usually more people fail at this business than succeed.Or if he told you that his company might not have enough freight for a solo d-unit right now, then I applaud his honesty.He just saved you from wasteing valuable time and money signing on with his company and then having to move on to another one.There are several companies out there so keep calling around until you find the one that fits.Good Luck.

lrjet

Seasoned Expediter
He did save me time. I spent many years flying lear jets, I understand the hurry up freight business. I had to be in the air within 30 minutes. I also had to sit and wait for the phone to ring or page to go off. I understand the life and I like it. I just want to make money at it to. Thanks for the information.

lrjet

Seasoned Expediter
i am working on that now. I was down talking to the folks a bolt express today and i really liked what they had to say and how they run there company. They showed me the numbers of what there drivers are doing and i liked how honest and up front they are. I beleave i will be going with them. Thanks all for the help.

lrjet

Seasoned Expediter
last job flying was B747 world wide and i hated every minute of it. Hours and Hours over water. I am also type rated on DC8, B727, & DC9 I did not find flying great and wonderful. I only did it because my dad was a pilot. Flying is like anything else, it means nothing if you don't like. i have 13000 hours, i was flying a King Air B200 last night from KDTW TO KJFK TO KDTW last night and it does nothing for me at all. My dad loved it. I always dreamed of trucks and driving. I love to drive. Who know why we like what we like. Not everyone wants to be a doctor when they grow up.

Flash

Seasoned Expediter
Wow! I'm glad I came across this forum and lrjet. I was ready to spend the next 2 years and 50k to be a commercial pilot.

I guess I'll just keep driving.

lrjet

Seasoned Expediter
follow your heart, everyone knows what they really want. I did what other people wanted me to do, or thought I should do and it was a mistake.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Irjet,

Congratulations on persuing your dream. If a person must work for most of their lifetime it should be something they enjoy doing. I'm sure we have all come across someone who hates their job. What a terrible way to go through life.

I have always loved to drive and have been fascinated with trucks. But I got into the graphic arts industry because my father was in it. That took me into teaching. Both worthy careers but not something I truly enjoyed.

I have worked different segments of the trucking industry and have been very happy. I'm not saying every day of expedting is paradise, but 90% are close. A bad day of expediting is better than a good day at a job you absolutely hate.

Good luck, be safe and have some fun!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
P.S. My spelling may be an indication of why I am no longer in graphic arts or teaching. What if we all chip in and buy spellcheck for EO.

sjbr549

Expert Expediter
been with con way now for a year. i've done well with them normal slow down 1st quarter. i'm solo d unit. con way is has always been honest with me.

Frieghtlinemike

Expert Expediter
"">last job flying was B747 world wide and i hated every minute
>of it. Hours and Hours over water. I am also type rated on
>DC8, B727, & DC9 I did not find flying great and wonderful.
>I only did it because my dad was a pilot. Flying is like
>anything else, it means nothing if you don't like. i have
>13000 hours, i was flying a King Air B200 last night from
>KDTW TO KJFK TO KDTW last night and it does nothing for me
>at all. My dad loved it. I always dreamed of trucks and
>driving. I love to drive. Who know why we like what we like.
>Not everyone wants to be a doctor when they grow up.""

Well I have my private working on my Instrument and building an experimental. I was approved for Mesa Airlines training program and would have gone if I could have sold three of my properties but I only sold one. Would love to fly jets but may have to choose the Expediting Window-Not a bad deal. Who knows maybe I can Fly Jets for FedEx one day:)
Can't imagine your situation but feel you made the right choice.
You can't love money-only the opportunities it provides.
If you ever get to Minneapolis, Look me up, would love to here about your Airline experience. I am one of those folks that get too the airport two hours early just for the fun of it. Love the smell of jet fuel:p
Michael
Love too Drive