Good bad or just plain wrong???

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It probably wouldn't hurt to trim down the number of early voting days, but it would be wrong to eliminate them altogether. It should do nothing but increase voter turnout to allow a period of perhaps seven days for voters to cast their ballots. However, the photo ID laws are long overdue. Of course these laws discriminate against the dead, the illegal immigrants, and those enthusiastic voters who like to do so early and often in places like Chicago and Philadelphia. Of course the Democrats squeal loud and long about this stuff, but so long as the laws apply equally to everyone there's no basis for their complaints.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Voting = first Tuesday in November. Can't make it? Do an absentee ballot. Otherwise, not my problem.

"Democrats claim their GOP counterparts are using midterm election wins to enforce changes favorable to Republicans ahead of the 2012 presidential election." - I have a solution for Democrats here... if you don't like it, WIN.

It's not like they haven't changed the rules to benefit them when they were in charge.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The difference is when the GOP make changes it is to reduce fraud and increase fairness. When the dems make changes it is to make fraud easier and reduce fairness.

Last edited:

ron

Expert Expediter
It doesn't effect me. I have never voted in 63 years. so last year I finally became a registered voter,and guess what? Because of getting a "misdemeanor" in Ohio in 2005. I am denied the right to vote in Michigan. No big loss there I guess. The government is running everyone lives by the laws they have passed. Ya gotta play by the rules the government says.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
It doesn't effect me. I have never voted in 63 years. so last year I finally became a registered voter,and guess what? Because of getting a "misdemeanor" in Ohio in 2005. I am denied the right to vote in Michigan. No big loss there I guess. The government is running everyone lives by the laws they have passed. Ya gotta play by the rules the government says.

Really??? That's odd because even convicted felons get the right to vote again once they are released from prison.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Really??? That's odd because even convicted felons get the right to vote again once they are released from prison.
Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

My late husband had two misdemeanors in his past (that whacky motorcycle gang!) and never had them questioned when it came to voting. Lived in Michigan, misdemeanors occurred in Flint.

"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I find it strange that first a problem in Ohio is preventing ron from getting a Michigan CDL, now Ohio is preventing him from voting in Michigan.

I don't think we are getting the whole story.

Last edited:

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Now back to our regular scheduled complaints. :eek:

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Now back to our regular scheduled complaints. :eek:

lol

sometimes hijackings are necessary.

was gonna say, I spent the weekend in Michigan and I seen some pretty whacked **** by gov't over there but I think what is more important is the backround that you mentioned, I know what you are talking about and if you didn't mention it, I wouldn't have made the connection.

ron

Expert Expediter
I find it strange that first a problem in Ohio is preventing ron from getting a Michigan CDL, now Ohio is preventing him from voting in Michigan.

I don't think we are getting the whole story.

That's fine if you aren't getting the whole story. I'm not getting the whole whole story,and the reason behind it either. It all regulations the government has to go by. It's way over my head anyway. I'm just to doing what is expected of me,and playing by the rules.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I don't see the issue, I know many who have been in prison for petty things having no problem what so ever in registering to vote.

You have the right to know why, specifically and the law is really liberal, I think residency and breathing are the two that stick out.

tbubster

Seasoned Expediter
Ohio

Today, nearly every state has some form of felon disenfranchisement law, although there has never been a national policy with regard to felon voting rights. Indeed, there is a wide spectrum of (still evolving) laws regarding felons' voting eligibility. Over a dozen states - mostly in the south and west - have chosen to permanently bar some or all felons from voting (though ex-offenders may sometimes be able to regain their voting rights through a restoration process). Two states - Vermont and Maine - permit even incarcerated felons to vote. Other states, including Ohio, have disenfranchisement laws that fall between these extremes.

The Ohio Constitution expressly authorizes the Ohio General Assembly "to exclude from the privilege of voting, or of being eligible to office, any person convicted of a felony." 1 But the General Assembly has chosen to prohibit only incarcerated felons from voting; offenders on probation, paroled felons, and all ex-felons are permitted to vote, and the restoration of the franchise occurs automatically once a felon is paroled, pardoned, or granted judicial release. 2 By disenfranchising felons only while they are imprisoned, Ohio maintains one of the least restrictive felon disenfranchisement policies in the nation. Thirty-five states prohibit felons from voting while they are on parole, and 31 of these states exclude felony probationers as well. 3

Significant attention and grassroots advocacy has recently been focused on the law and impact of felon disenfranchisement. This activity has prompted a number of states to change their felon disenfranchisement laws in the last decade; most recent reforms have allowed more ex-offenders to vote, though a few states have made their voting eligibility rules for felons more restrictive

Michigan

CRIMINAL STATUS AND VOTING IN MICHIGAN

You can vote if you want to its that simple.You said you registered so who told you,you could not vote.