Goal Oriented Expediting

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Two excellent replies by both Grog and Florida. While A Team scenario is probably doable one must remember A Team has no children to educate,has no home , no living expenses,probaly does not own a automobile etc. What works for some individuals may not work for others. This topic should state what you need to give up in order to make that million. I grossed over 2 million in my 20 years and am comfortable, but along the way I educated 3 boys that now are making more money then me.I have a home with no mortgage that has had a huge appreciation over 19 years. So is the sacrifice of your family values worth the effort, question you all need to ask yourself. Rose colored glasses only see rose colors.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
8th Wonder of the World. According to Einstien most likely the brightest person to ever walk the Earth.

The MAJIC OF COMPOUNDING INTREST...

People this goal is realistic for almost any team that keeps the Truck payment in check under in my estimate of $1,400.00

Anyway reaching the goal of one million dollars is much easier and I thought it was than most of us will give credit for.

Did the Math and heres how it works out.

$1,666.66 X 12 months plus 9% intrest (this is two points below what the Total Stock Market has Averaged since Inception even before the Great Depression) X 20 Years = Well over One Million One Hundred Thousand Dollars.

It is obtainable, and if you already have any savings your now gona be super rich. Congradulations, now let me go take my own advice, since thats about all the time I got left. But I got a daughter, niece, and wife to get thru school and maybee me someday to.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Good point Broom. Whether it is your kids and or relatives, they will remember you for the time you spent with them, verses whether you made a certain amount of money.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
My goal isn't to make a million, which is pragmatic, seeing as how I'm just half a team, and not the financial whiz half, either.
My goal is to be self sufficient, to have work to do, and do it to the best of my ability, every day.
I've successfully raised one daughter, who is a happy and productive mother herself, which is something a million dollars won't buy. The jury's still out on the younger daughter, but I am confident that she'll turn out well, too, and if that's all I accomplish with my life, it will be enough, because it's what matters most to me.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Please let me give one short explanation of the So Called Million.

A Million dollars is no Majic #, what is the Majic # is that one has enough resources saved up after a Life Time of Labor to not be a Burden to Ones Children in there Elderely Years.

Now if you have no children the phrase also holds true to Society.

Do not forget Life Along the Way either. Should it not be a Journey instead of a Goal?????

Packmule

Expert Expediter
ATeam,
You are already a millionaire in your own mind. Why? Because you think like one. Wealthy people didn't become wealthy by thinking like the adverage Joe, they did it by stepping out of the box with their thinking and goals. (except some that hit the lottery by chance, and we see what happened to most of them and their wealth)
A Goal, a plan, and a LOT of discipline can do wonders. Not everyone wants to set their goals that high (out of reach) for fear of failure and knowing the sacrifices they will have to make to achieve that goal.
By the time you reach the age of the adverage person in this business you have a different level of goals. Most don't even want to think about working another 20 years, and have already made more sacrifices raising a family, educating their childern, paying for the roof over their heads, and now are in the Fall of their lives and want to relax a little, earn a "good" living without the pressures of such a fast pace rat race they have spent their entire working career in.
To me, this is not the business to plan a 20 year goal of becoming a Millionaire. There are too many veriables based on an unstable economy that drives the trucking (Expediting) industry. There are many business opportunities that you can invest the amount of a nice truck into and stand a better chance of reaching that goal.
Would this be a goal that I would set for myself? I think not.
In my mind have already surpassed that millionaire level. When I look around at a Loving wife,comfortable home, a healthy family, Grandchildern, and good friends, I'm in a business that I enjoy and the only stress is what I allow to be put on me. What is the monitary value of that? 1 million, 2 million. To me, wealth is measured by more than a bank account
No I couldn't write a check for a million, or even half of that, and probly never will be able to, but I can pay my bills,and not worry if I don't have a good month this month or the next or the next,do you think I could be more happy if I had a Million dollars in the bank?
As they use to say "Different strokes for different folks".
Oh, and back to the orignal question: YES I believe a goal can be reached in this business by someone such as yourself Phil and Dianne.
and I wish you the very best in reaching that goal.

Danny

Remember the National dept came from some well designed plans by some very intelligent people, that just didn't work out the way it was planned.

maybe_driving

Seasoned Expediter
making a million is a good goal but buying one house a year for ten years and then selling one house a year for five years would leave you with five houses that are paid for and rent out for 800 each per month or 48000.00 per year plus your SS if there is any. and you can buy a good house that needs a litle work for one good week doing this work. So one house a year is easy
4 down and six to go

WWW.Packing.org
ooida#811397

Mudflap

Expert Expediter
Well, my trucking goals were to support my family with a nice home for all of us and to maybe have a little change in the pocket for retirement or for when some special wants and needs for the family or myself were desired. I also desired to have a career I enjoyed.

I worked hard and did what it took to accomplish those goals to the best of my abilities. Some aspects of the career I enjoyed, others I did not. Most of my trucking career was not expediting, only the latter part.

As I did not and could not and refused to dedicate every waking hour, or make every aspect of my life revolve around my trucking career, I could only make the goal work with the time I desired to spend working on the job- the rest was time for my family which is something I would never think to trade for a million dollar bank account ever.

It looks like through hard work and prayer God has graciously granted the wants and needs to every disire of the Ateam, and I am sure they will have their bank account and whatever else makes them happy. When they finally realize that their wants and needs are not he same as those of others, perhaps the seeking of the cult like following will come to an end. Mudflap

are12

Expert Expediter
(1) What are your expediting goals?

(2) As you strive to achieve your expediting goals, what works?

====================================

Our expediting goals are not to make a million dollars but if we do, we will not complain. Our goals are to make enough money to pay our bills, put a little aside for a rainy day and to live a comfortable life. Which we do. We like having the money to buy things that should happen to catch our eye and enjoy doing things while we are away from home. And most of all, we are together, doing something that we love -driving!

Our lives do not revolve just around our careers, we like coming home and spending time with family and friends. I like having somewhere to call home and enjoy the time I spend there. To me, my home time is very important. I think that is what keeps me, somewhat, sane.

Some may think that we are not driven enough to be in expediting but, believe me when I tell you, we are. When we are in service, we usually stay out for 6 weeks and go home for a week. I know some of you stay out for months at a time but that is not for me.

What works for us, is that we are really not big spenders. We pay ourselves a salary each week and the rest goes into the business account - some in the checking, most in the savings. We also limit the amount in the savings. Once we reach a set amount, we will pull some money and invest it.

Life is too short not to enjoy it so that is what we are trying to do, while making a decent living.