GMC Box van

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
I would like to buy a 2006 GMC 16 feet box truck for one of my drivers who living otr 100% .I buy this just for extra space. I never had a box truck ,I just know that they have bad mpg (10 miles per gallon) but that's it. I would like to know how reliable are ,and if the maintenance is more expensive than a regular cargo van.Thank you!!!!

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I would like to buy a 2006 GMC 16 feet box truck for one of my drivers who living otr 100% .I buy this just for extra space. I never had a box truck ,I just know that they have bad mpg (10 miles per gallon) but that's it. I would like to know how reliable are ,and if the maintenance is more expensive than a regular cargo van.Thank you!!!!

Depending on single or dually rear you would have extra tires to think about. Brakes might wear quicker due to added weight of box while stopping. Might have more expensive wheel bearings/brakes. Something to ask a mechanic.
Depending on how you drive you might be able to get up to 12 out of a box van
Engine is exactly the same as a cargo so maintence wouldn't be higher, I would think

MSinger

Expert Expediter
I drive a 2002 GMC Savana 3500 15' box truck with dual rear wheels. It is a former Penske truck with the 5.7L V8 gas. I average 11.5 mpg and it really makes no difference if I'm loaded or empty. Headwinds do make a difference however. The lowest mpg I have ever gotten is 9.8mpg driving 350 miles into a headwind. I purchased the truck with 92K miles. It now has 220K (I just do this part-time). The only thing other than preventive maintenance I have done on this truck is a fuel pump at 114K and an alternator at 147K. I actually like having the dual rear wheels in case I have a blow out on the rears. At least you can run on the 3 rear tires to get yourself off of the highway.
Just make sure you get one with the 10,000 even gvwr (all Penske GMC 15 footers are). Any higher gvwr will force you to log and pay the higher $1 million commercial insurance coverage.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
The Penske trucks are nice. I believe that they allow for 2800lb payload(at least that's what the sticker in the box from Penske says)
The Penske trucks don't have the pass thru to cargo box, you'd have to make one, wouldn't be too hard. And all the ones I have driven don't have cruise control or tilt steering, or cd player. pretty basic van. They do have cloth seats with armrest. You can buy them used under 100k for $9995
Or less for over 100k from Penske.
I do believe they give you a good warranty and will show you all maintenance records

MSinger

Expert Expediter
6800# I do not have a sleeper. I carry a pallet jack and ratchet straps. Usually try to keep freight 2600 or less.

MSinger

Expert Expediter
Mine does have the pass-through door. They all used to have them but it seems like around 2004-2005 they quit putting them in.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
not much room to manuever a pallet jack, some place you can use the dock if they have the plate that goes lower, not all have that though.
I used a pallet puller, it worked well, although floor got scratched and gouged

guido4475

Not a Member
That's where a smaller pallet jack works bettter, such as the one that is 24"at the widest and 36"long. But for some reason, they are more expensive.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the weight.

Another dumb question for you Msinger, how big is your gas tank? Is it the 55 gallon one?

MSinger

Expert Expediter
Fuel tank is 35 gallons.

As far as the pallet jack goes, mine is the standard size. I picked it up used really cheap. What I normally do is use it for the first two skids so I can get them clear to the front of the box then load the following two or three on the back. Leaving the pallet jack stowed inserted into one of the front skids. I just hate messing with chains and straps to pull freight back with. It's just so much easier to roll the freight back to the tail end. The guys on the forklift seem to appreciate it too. 90% of my loads are 3 skids or 2 oversized skids. Don't see too much freight over 3 skids that falls into my weight restriction.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Fuel tank is 35 gallons.

As far as the pallet jack goes, mine is the standard size. I picked it up used really cheap. What I normally do is use it for the first two skids so I can get them clear to the front of the box then load the following two or three on the back. Leaving the pallet jack stowed inserted into one of the front skids. I just hate messing with chains and straps to pull freight back with. It's just so much easier to roll the freight back to the tail end. The guys on the forklift seem to appreciate it too. 90% of my loads are 3 skids or 2 oversized skids. Don't see too much freight over 3 skids that falls into my weight restriction.

Does your truck have cruise control, seems Penske didn't spec the newer ones with cruise or tilt.

MSinger

Expert Expediter
It DOES have cruise control but did NOT come with it. I purchased an aftermarket one off of Ebay and had my mechanic install it. It works great. Seems like it was a couple hundred dollars for it. It is harder than heck to find a used GM cutaway with factory cruise. You would think it would be standard equipt. Mine does not have tilt wheel either.