GM Duramax owners

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the link Craz,i was looking for the expedite vans.I think it's 3-4 years now since they've been putting the duramax in the vans and was hoping someone had 300,000 or so on one to get a feel for how they hold up in the expedite world.With ford outta the pic for diesels in vans if you don't want a Sprinter style van GM is the only game in town.

MSinger

Expert Expediter
Actually, 2006 was the first model year for the Duramax in a GM van.

2002 GMC Savana 3500 DRW 15' cube 10,000 GVWR "Old Yeller"
former Penske truck

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
I thought it was 04,anyway i would think a expeditor has 100,000 on one and being it's the only v8 diesel in 08 some feedback from some owners would be helpful.

bcada1

Seasoned Expediter
06 GMC Savana 1 ton van Duramax powered, 70 mph = 19-20 mpg, 65 mph = 21-22 mpg, 60 mph = 23-24 mpg, 55 mph = 27 mpg. I ran a milage test in late summer 06. All fill-ups were to the top of the filltube for accuracy.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
Hello I own A 2006 3500 express with a d-max and I love it, got 70k on it now and only 1 injector problem. mileage for me is about 19-20mpg at 70 mph 21-23mpg at 65mph and 24-25 at 60mph, air filters run about 58.00 at dealer and I change it at 30k, the fuel filters run about 130.00 there are 2 of them there are sold in pairs 130.00 for the pair and I change them at 30k also I run around all day at 60mph and it rides great plenty of power and quite can't even here the turbo in this thing. p.s. I do run power service in every tank grey bottle in the summer time and white bottle in winter time and I run amsoil 15-40 syn oil in here and change it at 10k, although the change oil light does not come on until 13k hope this helps you out:p :p :p

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Fuel Filters $79.95

Oil Change $49.95

Air Filter $35.00

Tire Rotation $16.95

Note: All service performed by GM service center.

8oz Stanadyne Power Performance in every 30 gallons.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
hey 60mph, since you are using amsoil are you using their filters also? have you tried their bypass filter?

Jack Berry

tbc27143

Seasoned Expediter
Response to the first post.

I have an 03 3500 dually with a duramax and allision trans and previously had an 01 2500HD. The dually has 253K on it and has been and still is a strong running truck. It weighs 8600 lbs unloaded and I have gotten 18.5 running 65-70 but that is rare. I normally run 70-75 empty and get 15-17 depending on a lot of factors. Not bad as far as I can see considering the empty wt. Towing a 4-6K trailer at 65-70 I get 12-14 and have gotten 15-16 on occasion. I have also gotten 5 mpg grossed at 26K with a CAT skid generator with a huge radiator and tractor blade standing in the wind going west in NM on I-40 into the wind and uphill to the continental divide.

With an edge juice chip on level 1 or 2 this engine comes alive and is producing on level 2 360 HP and 650 ft. lbs torque. I had the chip installed in the above scenario.

Replace a head gasket about 4K miles ago and the mech said the cyls still looked like new with the factory crosshatch honing in the cyls. I use less than a qt of oil on a 8-10K oil change and only if I push it real hard with heavy loads.

Love my Chev Duramax.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
yep I use there eao filter it is 13.95 if you are a preferred member, It works great and it is only 4 dollars more than the gm filter,
hey dhalltoyo where are you getting the good prices on air & fuel filters I called 2 dealers in dayton and they gave me the same prices that I listed above a matter of fact I have called around 14 dealers in oh,in,mi,il,ky,va,tn and they all have about the same price for the filters way to much in my opinion, and the reason I called so many is because they usually don't have them in stock and those are the areas I am in the most

60 MPH ALL DAY-EVERY DAY!!!
PUTT'IN WHEN I SHOULD BE STRUTT'IN

}> }>

60MPH

Expert Expediter
yep looked at the web sites they only have the one's for pick-ups which of course are cheaper, and pk-up air filters will not work on these vans and the pk-up fuel filter is only half of the set you need for the change, I called Hubler Cheverolet in indy this morning (cheapest dealer I can find) to order my 2 air and 2 fuel filter sets as neither were in stock of course, for a grand total of 398.14. I have called racor who makes the fuel filters for gm and the rights have not been sold out yet so you can only get the fuel filter set from gm. I am sure that in another 2 years they will be available from other manufactures, now the pk-up fuel filters rights have been sold and you can get a filter anywhere for 45.00

p.s. d-max van owners there are sites that say that the old canister filter from the older 6.5 diesel will fit your van THEY WILL NOT!!!! don't waste your money I already did, they almost look the same but they are not the same and also don't let the dealer tell you that the hummer air filter will fit your van it will not it is 1/2 inch to long

tbc27143

Seasoned Expediter
I would have thought the pickup and van fuel filter was the same. The p/u has one filter so does the van use 2 filters? Where is the 2nd one located?

Sounds like it has 2 air filters as well.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
yep 2 fuel filters both frame mounted in front of the fuel tank, there is no room under the hood, one looks like a big oil filter with a water seperator on the bottom of it and the other is a cannister style with water sensor and seperator on the bottom. I don't know why they just don't use the same filter for both of them, oh wait a minute that would make sense;) And there luckly is only one air filter. Oh yea forgot to respond to your ? about using a amsoil bypass I have never heard anything bad but I was looking at the fs2500 soot sucker that they use on the big trucks. I have my oil sampled at every 25k via a company in cleveland,oh. and my soot level has never been above .23% thats less than 1% of the total volume of the oil which is great considering I idle this thing for heat & a/c gotta love the d-max

60 MPH ALL DAY-EVERY DAY
PUTT'IN WHEN I SHOULD BE STRUTT'IN

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Call the parts manager at Voss Chevrolet. His name is Scott.

Tell him that you can buy them at those prices on the internet and explain that you would rather do business with him.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
"I have called racor who makes the fuel filters for gm and the rights have not been sold out yet so you can only get the fuel filter set from gm."

Maybe things have changes so much in the autoparts world but I would think that GM owned the rights to the filter, not Racor because chances are that GM is the one who paid for the design and knowing thier MO they like to own everything.

Honestly thinking about it, why haven't any one of you written to GM and complained? You know that they do listen if enough complain. I mean $60 each for a filter when the filtration may be equal to what I have on my truck. maybe someone should contact GM and ask them if they are willing to release the part for aftermarket production so you can see if you can get manufactured and make a lot of money.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
your right greg gm owns the rights on the design of the filters in ?. When I typed my message earlier I should of said it was gm has not sold the rights yet, my bad!! David thanks for the name I will call scott at voss to see if I can get that pricing

tbc27143

Seasoned Expediter
That may be true for the van but Racor and Wix both markets the screw on filter for the pickup. The one mounted on the engine. The screw on one on the van I bet is the same filter.

I have bought Racor filters back in 01-02 time frame. White with black lettering RACOR on it.

http://www.dieselpage.com/racredu.htm