Give a Man a Fish...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
"You give a poor man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

That's an old Chinese proverb (as opposed to a recent Chinese proverb, I guess). Another way to look at it, especially through the lens of the modern day entitlement welfare mentality is, "You give a poor man a fish, and do that day after day, pretty soon he thinks your fish are his fish and he has no incentive to learn how to fish."

On that note, you also have the same mentality of, "I want this really, really bad. I deserve it. I'm entitled to it. Therefore you should give it to me."

And we have this.

Natalia Villalobos is a U.S. citizen, born and raised in the District. When she graduated from Emerson Preparatory School in 2015, she planned to enroll in college, study business and child development, and use those skills to open a day care where young children can thrive.

But when she applied for a city tuition assistance grant that would have helped her pay for classes at Montgomery College, the 19-year-old was turned away because her mother is not a U.S. citizen or a legal permanent resident. She says she cannot afford tuition at the community college without the financial help, and she is now arguing that the program’s rules have violated her civil rights.

Grant money is free money, not a loan that must be paid back. But grant money comes with certain restrictions and conditions. Because Washington D.C. is limited in available colleges and universities, the D.C. Tuition Assistance Grant (DCTAG) program was created in 1999 to help defray the cost difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition at public colleges and universities throughout the US, Guam and Puerto Rico. and provides money towards tuition at private colleges and universities within the District, and private Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) nationwide.

One of the conditions to be able to receive the grant money is that you not only be a resident of the District of Columbia, you have to be a US citizen, and if you are a child dependent, then your parents (or parent) must also be either a US citizen, or a legal permanent resident of the US. Her father is out of the picture, and her mother came here 20 years ago from El Salvador asking for temporary protected status (asylum). She has never been granted refugee asylum, nor is she a permanent resident, nor is she a US citizen.

Soooo, poor little Natalia doesn't qualify for the free grant money, to which she nevertheless thinks she is entitled, and by not getting she thinks her civil rights have been violated. I didn't qualify for college aid, because my parents made just a tad too much money (by $1300 Adjusted Gross Income). But I ended up with a full-ride academic and music scholarship, anyway. If her parents made too much money, she wouldn't qualify for the free grant money, either. Just like she doesn't qualify for it if her parents aren't US citizens or permanent legal residents.

In the Age of Trump, if she wins her case, I can see the entire program being eliminated. Contrary to Popular Progressive and Bernie Belief, there is no Constitutional or inherent human right to a higher education, anymore than there is an inherent right to health care. Sorry.

Reactions: Moot

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
"You give a poor man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

That's an old Chinese proverb (as opposed to a recent Chinese proverb, I guess). Another way to look at it, especially through the lens of the modern day entitlement welfare mentality is, "You give a poor man a fish, and do that day after day, pretty soon he thinks your fish are his fish and he has no incentive to learn how to fish."

On that note, you also have the same mentality of, "I want this really, really bad. I deserve it. I'm entitled to it. Therefore you should give it to me."
You also have criminal mentality. Her parents skirted the law by entering this country illegally. They wanted a better life but chose to do it without regard for the legal process. Now she wants to skirt the law to obtain a grant. She will probably get the grant. She wants to help children "thrive" after all .

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Mercy....reminds of the parents that started giving presents to the attendants at a birthday party for their own child,,,how in the zell did that come about,,ohh,,,democratic parents sharing?? I did not grow up that way...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You also have criminal mentality. Her parents skirted the law by entering this country illegally.
Well, we (at least I) don't know anything about her father. But the mother came here from El Salvador requesting asylum, was granted entry, and then at some later time her asylum was denied. But she was granted temporary protected status. So she entered the country legally, and is currently here legally (and documented, and authorized to be employed). So it doesn't appear that any laws were broken with the mother's entry or continued residence.

People with temporary protected status are definitely in the minority of immigrants, and they would only be here as an unauthorized immigrant if they fail to apply for renewal of their temporary protected status before the status expires (for some countries, that's a long time before expiration). Immigrants who overstay their visa are unauthorized to be here, but they haven't actually committed a crime by being here (it's a civil infraction, but still subject to immediate deportation). The ones who crossed the border illegally, either unseen in the dead of night or by giving false information to a CPB officer, those are the ones who committed a crime.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I missed all of that in the article but she does deserve the grant because she wants to help children thrive.