Pink's In

IMG_0523.jpg

Three Coats Minwax Polycrylic On Birch
Wow! This Stuff Is Tough!!!

IMG_0524.jpg

Starting On Reflectix Foil

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
Wait!!! Where did you get that Reflectix Foil? And if you dont mind how much it cost? I have a project in mind and i've check home depot before and couldnt find it, even with help but i didnt know the name of it

Ok now i got that out of the way. Looks like you got a nice looking setup there. i like how the window sticker doesnt give you the est. MPG of the vehicle.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
First 2008 delivered into our region.

Not having a Monroney label is not uncommon during a model year transition period.

No engine or weight changes for 2008, so the mileage stays the same.

You can usually get the Reflectix at Lowe's. It is about $3.00 more per roll, but you have to order it online through Home Depot and the shipping cost makes it come out the same.

I bought 3 rolls today.

24" x 25 feet is $26.93/roll

48" x 25 feet is $48.67/roll

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Looks like you're off to a great start Rev. Keep us updated! I personally love to see the different ways people set up their vans.

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

"The present is what slips by us while we're pondering the past and worrying about the future."

- Ziggy

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Did you do research by talking to Van Drivers on what they are earning? This is not by any means meant to be a smart arse question.

Of any Van drivers who have posted on here or that I have meet out there are we not talking about Gross Take Home in the High Teens or Low Twenties. I am just repeating what I have been told, and read. So do not beat the messenger, just the message as I have been told by acutal drivers. \

I ask is that enough to afford a new Van, and personal expenses? Is this really a business or just a way to spend ones gift of one life and the time it occupies?

How one would be able to afford this and keep it is beyond me. But if you have please POST. And Please, how you have done it and how you believe others could do follow in your footprints of success.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
I just do what God allows me to do.

With His leading I was able to make a decent living with my 2006 van.

I am not the most intelligent or skilled O/O in expediting, but I am so glad that He uses the "baser" things, like me!

Really, in my own strength, I am pretty weak, but I have promises:

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Philippians 4:13

Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. Proverbs 3:5-6

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I pay myself $.32 per mile, plus things like detention, hand unload, layover, dry run, things like that. The truck gets everything else. All I need to do is drive 80,000 loaded in a year to gross $25,000 take home, and that's not including the assessorials. After my pay comes out, and all the truck expenses come out, as well as putting aside at least $5,000 a year towards the purchase of the next van, there is generally enough left over for either extra pay to me, or for van upgrades (not maintenance, but improvements, creature comforts). And that's after I have the required 10 grand in the bank in case of emergency.

$25,000-$30,000 isn't exactly living in the lap of luxury, but it's not a bad wage, either, especially if you enjoy what you are doing.

You're not gonna make big truck money in a van. Then again, you don't have big truck expenses, big truck headaches, big truck fueling hassles, like the total waste of time waiting behind some yahoo while it takes him 20 minutes to get refer fuel, then another 15 minutes for road fuel, then another 15 to fuel your own, nearly an hour to fuel up, big truck parking hassles, big truck DOT hassles, big truck 4-wheeler hassles, big truck lot lizard hassles, the list goes on and on. Not to mention that if an accident happens anywhere within 1000 yards of you, it's somehow your fault, too.

Slow and steady, even in expediting, wins the race - Aesop

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Amen!

Ditto on every aspect of your post.

One small difference; I split the gross revenue 60/40.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Could someone please define "Gross Take Home Pay". I'm confused. More so than usual.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The Gross Revenue, or gross pay, is whatever the load pays. It includes loaded miles, FSC, headhead pay, bonus, detention, everything. This is the gross revenue that the truck generates.

Out of all that you get paid something. You take that home with you. That is your Gross Take Home Pay, or the gross amount paid to you before taxes.

In my example above, 80,000 loaded miles times the .32 per mile I pay myself is my Gross Take Home Pay of $25,600. It's paid in cash, to me, by me, and I take that home. I can do with it what I wish.

First thing I do with it is squirrel away 25% for taxes, though. :)
I do that every load, no exceptions.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
PHASE 2

Picture078.jpg

Flooring and E-Track Installed

Picture081.jpg

Left Side Pink

Picture082.jpg

Right Side Pink

Picture083.jpg

Pink Sealed With DAP Foam (Less Expensive Than Great Stuff)

Picture080.jpg

Reflectix On The Roof (Much Cooler Inside With The Insulation!)

Falligator

Expert Expediter
What kind of adhesive do you use to keep the pink stuff up? I was told to use liquid nail but that stuff doesn't dry very fast and leaves you with a runny mess.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
I tried Liquid Nails and Dow Contractors Adhesive; both took way too long to set.

I then began to cut the insulation a little wide and made it fit very snug. After tapping it into place with the heel of my hand, I went around the piece with DAP Foam Insulation. That keeps everything in place.

Tomorrow, everything gets covered with an Adrian Poly Liner.

tom tinker

Expert Expediter
Hi David I insulated a van with Styrofoam boards it squeaked, from the van flexing. I took it out and put rolled fiberglass insulation in, and cover it all with paneling. Did I not use enough adhesive?? Hurrier you go the be hinder you get! Tom Tinker

60MPH

Expert Expediter
Hey David, looking good I think I will have to hire you out in 2009 when I get my new unit, wish I had thought about doing the insulation like that. What kind of insulation did you use on the roof looks different then the foam on the side walls, or is it just my eye's, keep up the good work!!

60 MPH ALL DAY-EVERY DAY

Marty

Veteran Expediter
I put a layer of Refectix against the outer wall, followed by foam board insulation, followed by another layer of Refectix, followed by paneling. I used Liquid Nail between all layers,
No sqeeks. No heat or cold can be felt on inside paneling. I have been in up to 112' and down to 15' below zero weather and no seepage of cold or heat.
It cost a little more than usual but it was well worth it.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I used Loctite® Exterior Power Grab™ because it's a near-instant grab adhesive that dries much faster than the other caulk-type adhesives, and the Exterior version because moisture (any condensate that may get in there) will not break it down over time. I also used some 3M spray adhesive. A few squiggly lines of Loctite, then some spray glue on both the panels and the van surfaces, and that will hold the foam panels (as well as silver bubble pack) firmly in place. Finish off the voids with canned foam.

Fiberglass insulation was not an option for van insulation for two reasons. One, it absorbs and retains condensate moisture and draws in moisture from humid air, which can dramatically reduce it's insulating effectiveness, as well as promoting rust (as will any batting material). Two, it's fiberglass, and unless it's completely sealed, the jostling, jolting, shaking, rattling and rolling of a van will result in my inhaling microscopic shards of glass coated with phenol-formaldehyde and urea-formaldehyde resins. No thanks. I'm good. I'll just go with the diesel soot, instead.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
I used Reflectix on the roof. High temp aluminium foil tape to seal and hold it in place.

Yes, I did notice some minor squeaks, but the DAP foam insulation around the outer parameters of the pink foam board eliminated that issue.

Also, the entire cargo area will be covered with a poly liner (Photos on the six o'clock) and that should also help with any flexing of the panels; hence, a reduction in future squeaks.

PS. A special tip-of-the-hat and many thanks to those who encouraged me to attempt this constructuion myself. (Terry, Turtle, Greg and others) Next week, I tear apart the engine to polish and port the intake and exhaust system. LOL:7

JODON

Seasoned Expediter
Dave, your truck looks great. I'm curious about the length and width of your floor, is it 10 feet long total and what is the width, it looks less than 4 feet wide in the photos. I'm a newbie so my question is probably dumb but I want to do something similar to what you are doing. Good luck.

Don DeMars, Texas