Getting in to expediting. Please help with truck info.

piattteam

Active Expediter
Wife and I are going to team. Straight truck. (6years exp teaming otr.) Have been advised to not buy a class 7 as they are not built for otr. We see an awful lot of class 7's for sale, used, with over 500,000 miles. If we buy a class 7 new, can we depend on it for 500,000? Or, is the general consensious a class 8 (only afford used). Thanks.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Wife and I are going to team. Straight truck. (6years exp teaming otr.) Have been advised to not buy a class 7 as they are not built for otr. We see an awful lot of class 7's for sale, used, with over 500,000 miles. If we buy a class 7 new, can we depend on it for 500,000? Or, is the general consensious a class 8 (only afford used). Thanks.

Welcome to the forums! What if you buy a truck and find you don't like expediting? Is your six years exp as an expediter? Maybe think about running for an owner for a year, or so, then if you find you don't like expediting you are not stuck with a truck.

piattteam

Active Expediter
Layoutshooter, thanks for the response/advise. No, we've not done expediting.
We ran for USXPRESS for 2 years- got to 46 states- and then another company for 4 years.
For the past 1 1/2 years I have done line haul for NewPenn.
We realize, from researching expediting, that there is sitting, waiting for a load and then run, run, run, in expediting. We had that - a lot- with USXPRESS.
We are 51 (Michelle) and 57 (me) and don't mind some time between runs.
Again, thanks for the reply.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We ran for USXPRESS for 2 years- got to 46 states- and then another company for 4 years.
We realize, from researching expediting, that there is sitting, waiting for a load and then run, run, run, in expediting. We had that - a lot- with USXPRESS.

No problem, that is what EO is for!

As to the truck. We own a M2112 Business Class. It is like a class 71/2. IF we ever buy another truck it will NOT be an M2. It will be a class 8. To much flimsy plastic on the M2.

Good luck to you both! Have you looked at carriers?

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Layout gave some good advice.
There is a huge difference between Expedite and truckload, I hauled truckload then line haul tugging doubles before this and thought too I was used to waiting, different animal all together.
Truckload freight lanes are a plenty and line haul well you know where the terminals are.
Expedite is unique to individual carriers because of their customer base and their locations providing a steep learning curve.

The carrier we started with did not really have a customer base with tentacles like we have now and it took me a year become comfortable (profitable) in the Expedite game.
On the other side of the coin take advice with a grain of salt as far as truck types, models etc.
We have a class 7 with 700k on it and it is strong. She is an older truck and yes she needs TLC but all trucks will after 500k (I can name 3 of these I drive that have done 1 million miles).
Point is find a good fleet owner and become a student, drive different types and commit when you are comfortable.

piattteam

Active Expediter
Yup, we have applied to FEDEX Custom Critical.
You?
I think we'll go with the class 8. Seems to be the way to go.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yup, we have applied to FEDEX Custom Critical.
You?
I think we'll go with the class 8. Seems to be the way to go.

We are leased with FDCC. We have a TVAL/White Glove truck. We will be with them for 7 years next month. If you go with FedEx, keep in touch. Get stuck or need help, drop me a PM.

FREE TO FAIL

Seasoned Expediter
Since no one answered the question i will tell you that a class seven is hitting the end of the road at 500k miles. Need to have one that has had a major done to it with that many miles. Get a dyno on the engine before you buy... As far as engines go. everything is better pre-egr. As far as class 7 motors go, my experience is that the cummins 8.3 seems to be the best motor of these small ones. I would avoid the mercedes, hino and the cat 3126 with high miles, none of them can be inframed with a piston sleeve kit. Really getting in to a class 8 will save you some money in the long run for otr applications. Get a detroit series 60 or a cummins n14. Least expensive motors to inframe and last quite a while in expedite applications.

Deville

Not a Member
My best piece of advice I can give you is don't buy anything new. To drop $75-$150,000 on a new class 7 or class 8 truck as newbies just entering the business is crazy.

Class 7 trucks are not terrible, there some nice ones out there. Most of these trucks are only driven by one or two people, aren't abused & maintained pretty well. You can pick up a really nice one from $30 to $40 grand.

There are class 8 trucks for sale but they run in the high $40's to $50's. A warrenty is key when buying anytype of truck new or used.

Give it at least a year & if you feel that you are making some money than re-consider a new class 8 truck.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
I still say that class 7's are hauling the majority of the loads today. While I do see more and more class 8's coming down the road, 7's are still pulling their weight. My suggestion is buy a decent 7 for a reasonable price and try expediting for a year. If you like it, then you should know what kind of truck and sleeper you want by then. Save your big bucks till you are sure.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
i am of the same opinion with a few exceptions. i would not be afraid of a class 7 with a c9 cat. i know of quite a few out there with almost a million miles and one with 1.1 million on it. only had injectors put in it. they do require to be maintained and fuel economy is only 8.5/9.0 for most but they are solid and can be inframed. also while not a huge fan, the 900 mbe can be rebuilt and sleeved contrary to info. i know personally of one that has been done and has 400,000 plus on the rebuild and has been less trouble than the first 700,000 that they put on the original motor. as far as their opinion goes, it is better than the original and gets a little better mpg. keep in mind this could be a one of as i know of no others that have done this or had as good of an experience. as for the rest of the response, they are right. a detroit in a class 8 is a good combo and as stated watch out for egr models. i personally would not own anything from 07 to 2010. to many problems with egr and dpf regen systems in these models with the exception of the cummins class 8 engines which the egr can be turned off but, these isx engines do have cam issues so thats something else to watch out for.

take your time and look around do your homework. do get a dyno as advised earlier and also have the entire ecm report pulled and take it to an independent shop and have it looked over. there are good trucks out there you just have to be patient.

piattteam

Active Expediter
Well guys, we are almost truck owners! Everything is approved. Just waiting for final paperwork!!
I think we listened to most of your suggestions (I hope) and did well.
The truck is a class 7 with a class 8 engine. Described as;
2005 (pre 2007 as you guys suggested) Intl 7500
Intl HT530 320 hp engine
Allison auto trans
Has APU (Thermo King)
Aluminum lift gate
84" sleeper
$34,900!
Oh, and 2 yr, 200,000 mile warranty too.
Please tell me we did good!! We really tried to combine all your suggestions.
We start orientation with FDCC June 11.
Thanks for all the input- it really helped.

Last edited:

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Since no one answered the question i will tell you that a class seven is hitting the end of the road at 500k miles.

That's just not the case at all, if the truck has had proper care. There are lots of class 7 trucks that have gone way beyond that and I expect mine to be one of them. My M2 has 527k and looks great. I do agree that you'll most likely get more value from an 8 in the long run, but the 7 can handle expediting much better than some give it credit for.

Having said that, thanks for the info that a 900 and be rebuilt, Dynamite. It's good to know, just in case. I'm real pleased with the 900 so far, other than the EGR cooler. It's been replaced twice and most likely will be again. No trouble at all from the EGR valve itself.

Hope I didn't just jinx myself...

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Well guys, we are almost truck owners! Everything is approved. Just waiting for final paperwork!!
Intl HT530 320 hp engine
Allison auto trans
Has APU (Thermo King)
Aluminum lift gate
84" sleeper
$34,900!
Oh, and 2 yr, 200,000 mile warranty too.
Please tell me we did good!! We really tried to combine all your suggestions.
We start orientation with FDCC June 11.
Thanks for all the input- it really helped.

I just have one teensy question: did you check with the carrier [FECC] before committing to the truck purchase?
I don't know what their requirements or age limits are, but most carriers have some, and FECC is known for being pretty strict about it.
Just one of those things we sometimes don't think to mention to newbies.
Good luck in your new adventure!

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Intl HT530 320.

Was it the dealer that called that engine a class 8, because I am here to tell you that it is not.

You didn't say how many miles or hours were on the engine, but those DT 530's are only expected to have a life of 500k.

We had a DT 530 in our last truck that we bought new, we traded it in at 470k, and it was getting pretty tired. We have some friends that just replaced their DT 530 at 650k.

Please don't tell me that this truck is a Alumijunk. Maybe you can claim temporary insanity and get out of this truck deal.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums