Getting body repairs paid for.

panther_art

Expert Expediter
I just reviewed that video I took the day I came out to pick you up after your accident, and if you stop the video on your back end you can see it was a fresh hit. Have you send this to the insurance co? This will prove it was part of your accident. Just a idea!!!!

I send all that to both Panther and the insurance company.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Why Panther?

Are they mediating this for you?

I would contact the officer who was on site and ask them to write up something for you, most of the time they will help out.

This is one reason why I keep saying get a lawyer when you get into this business NOT after something happens. You would not have to hunt around for someone to help you (lost time) and it would have made life a lot better to have someone handle some of these issues - like this insurance issue of how the accident happened.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
the first problem that comes to point to me is that zurich, the ins. co. will only let the vehicle be repaired with duplicate parts instead of factory original. second, the inability or want to send an adjuster to see the vehicle. if they are not going to inspect then two estimates should be required and they should take the lower of the two and pay all reasonable charges except the deductable. just some advice for the future, if you shop around locally where you live you will probably find an ins. co. that you can get to cover you and probably save money on premiums to boot. when buying through the carrier you are pooled in with all drivers and all accidents and claims therefor making premiums higher. we went to the private sector with a national ins. co. { greatwest } which insures alot of trucks. got better coverage and higher dammage amounts , over a 100.00 mo. cheaper than with the same ins. co. {greatwest } through a carrier. go to gwcc.com go to find an agent and it will locate the closest agent to you. hope all works out well. have had greatwest for 10 yrs. and they have been great.

panther_art

Expert Expediter
the first problem that comes to point to me is that zurich, the ins. co. will only let the vehicle be repaired with duplicate parts instead of factory original. second, the inability or want to send an adjuster to see the vehicle. if they are not going to inspect then two estimates should be required and they should take the lower of the two and pay all reasonable charges except the deductable. just some advice for the future, if you shop around locally where you live you will probably find an ins. co. that you can get to cover you and probably save money on premiums to boot. when buying through the carrier you are pooled in with all drivers and all accidents and claims therefor making premiums higher. we went to the private sector with a national ins. co. { greatwest } which insures alot of trucks. got better coverage and higher dammage amounts , over a 100.00 mo. cheaper than with the same ins. co. {greatwest } through a carrier. go to gwcc.com go to find an agent and it will locate the closest agent to you. hope all works out well. have had greatwest for 10 yrs. and they have been great.

zurich does not cover the insurance for damage done to our trucks, they cover our injures such as hospital bills and doctor bills and pays us for time off if your injures keeps you from returning to driving.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
ok, my mistake. they are your oc health/ work comp provider. so who does carry the ins. on the truck that you are purshasing through p2.

pelgrn

Expert Expediter
I had a driver use the occ i.n.s threw Panther,now this was 10 yrs a and i don't recall who the company was but it went like this.The driver filed the claim with the company [not panther] they called me and wanted gross earning for i think it was a 6 months,they paid him 80% of that number along with all medical.It took a couple wks for him to start getting his checks.He was off for 2 months before the doc would clear him to drive.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
ya, i know they dont. had my head, well you know, what i should have said. who carries the insurance you purchase through p2? assuming you are getting it through them.

moose

Veteran Expediter
In the mean time I still have all the charges from the carrier going on for the last 8 weeks plus van payments which I can't make because I have no income.

That is the SAD part of it all ... :( ,
you'd think they'll help , but heck , it's a profit center , whether you sit ,OOS, or taking a shower .
might be cost effective to quit so you can save another day , if they'll take you back ... after all , why would they classified it as a non preventable , they have a butt to cover. tell your attorney to look into this issue as well .somewhere in that DOT book , it's instructing the carrier how to determine if an accident is a preventable or not , and they have to follow it to the letter , but once the carrier place a comment on your DAC ,(do they do for Vans?) then, well, CSA2010 comes to mind. as well as OOIDA.
BTW ,dose your carrier require you to get your insurance from them , or do you have a choice ? (i thought it was illegal)

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
never heard of them. are they just the agent for a natl. ins. co. or is protective the actual ins. co. themselves. although i have'nt been keeping up on ins. cos. probably why i have not heard of them. has i stated went to the private sector some time ago when it was cheaper than getting it through the carrier we were leased to. might also mention that the ins. we were purchasing through the carrier and the ins. we got on our own was the same ins. co. { greatwest } and it was a 100.00 a mo. cheaper for more coverage and a true stated value policy not a fair market value policy which you probably have now and that included a upcharge for the better policy. really do hope this all works out for you. things like this can be so frustrating when you pay good money in and cant get good money out. just keep riding their a**es.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've never had bobtail insurence, the only insurence I had thru a carrier was cargo insurance, The insurance I carried was my primary coverage, and never had more than a $250.00 deductable.

Last edited:

panther_art

Expert Expediter
Has anyone ever had a problem with the insurance company from their carrier paying for damages done after an accident.
On Jan 6 I had done a spin out on I-79 in WV on some black ice. So the tow company that came and got my van, is going to do the body work, my carrier gave me the number to call for the insurance to file a claim. And they told me to just have the body shop do an estimate and take pictures and fax everything over to them. So after about 5 days I had called the insurance people to see if they had everything they needed and was told that they never got any of the information that was needed, so I called the body shop to see why they had not faxed over the information and I was told that they had done so 3 times. This went on for 7 days one saying they sent everything and the other saying they never got it.

I waited for about 4 more days and called the insurance company back and was told they where not going to pay the amount that was on the estimate because they where only going to pay for after market parts and they came up with an estimate of $4949.59 the body shop estimate was $7493.04. So they send me a check for $3949.59 and said they are not going to pay for all the damage because the damage to the rear of the van could not have happened at the time of this accident.

That is $3543.41 that I am going to have to come up with to get my van and back in service.

In the mean time I still have all the charges from the carrier going on for the last 8 weeks plus van payments which I can't make because I have no income.

Here is a link to pictures of the van.

accident - Windows Live
I told the body shop to do as much as they could so I could get the van back on the road with the check that they had received.

I am putting this in the hands of an attorney but I really feel that I should not have to because the carrier takes the payments out of my settlement every week and we only have a $1000.00 deductible.

Has this ever happen to anyone else?

Update talked to the bodyshop to day and they had talked to the insurance company and come to an agreement and everything is going to be paid for.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
great news, glad it worked out. please shop rates and coverage amts for the money you pay in premiums. it really can save you some bucks and give you some peace of mind