Get Oiled Up at the Zone

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Through July 1, 2009, Autozone has a special on Mobile 1 oil.

5 quarts, plus a Mobile 1 oil filter - $29.99
Limit 2 of these specials per person per day.

This includes Mobile 1 0W-40, for you Sprinter fans. Regular price on the oil is $6.99 per quart, and the oil filter is $12.99.

One problem, none of the stores have the Mobile 1 oil filter (for a Sprinter) in stock, so they'll give you an STP oil filter instead, or see if they'll toss in a 6th quart of oil instead of the filter if they don't have any in stock. I'm not sure that I'll even use the STP oil filter, or I might use it for like 3000 miles and then change it, but even if I toss it, that's still 5 quarts of $7 oil for $30. The flier does specifically state only items in stock, so they may tell you no joy on any filter if they don't have the Mobile 1 filter in stock. But like I said, that's still $4.29 a quart even if they don't substitute a filter.

I bought 2 of these today, in 2 different purchases. The first purchases gave me 5 points on the card, so for the second purchase I paid $10 instead of the $30. :)

They have a poster up on the window advertising the special, but it's inside not outside.

They also have one for Mobile 1 EP (Extended Performance) oil and a filter for $35.99.

Entire circular here: Circular_main_pdf

Offers may vary by market. Some offers not available in Connecticut, Rhode Island or Puerto Rico. Products may not be available in all stores. See store for details. Offers valid while quantities last. All photographic, clerical, typographical and printing errors are subject to correction.

aileron

Expert Expediter
STP makes filters for sprinters? I din't know, and probably I will not use them, I like the MANN filters.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Maybe nothing. I've used several Fram oil filters, 8 I think, but they just don't seem to be as well built as the Mann filters. I usually change the filter-only at between 5000 and 7000 miles, which gives me around 17,000 miles between changes. If I don't do that, it drops to about 12,000 or so. Once I didn't change is out at the 5000-7000 miles, and let it go to the 12,000 (or whenever it was the ASSYST told me to change it). I pulled out the Fram filter and it looked, and felt, like it was about to collapse and fall apart. I did that once or twice with the Mann filter and it came out looking "German Strong". I have a feeling that the STP filter is more like the Fram than the Mann.

But I know a lot of peopl use both the Fram and the STP filters. I'll probably use it when I change the oil tomorrow or the next day, then swap it out after 3000-5000 miles. It's basically a free oil filter with that deal, anyway.

With that special you're essentially getting a free oil filter and a free quart of oil, so it's worth stocking up for 2 or 3 oil changes, especially if you have the Autozone card where yuo get a point for every purchase of $20 or more, and then after 5 of those you get a $20 credit.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I do the Zone reward card thingee...the oils cheaper then walmart taking the 20 dollar discount into effect. besides walmarts price has the creep factor...it is getting up there.

Turtle yep that STP filter will about shred if left in too long...

I did it once....opps...ok I goofed I'll take my liumps on that one.:eek:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Probably nothing .... and considering your mileage, I'd say you are evidence of it ..... :rolleyes:

They are to say cheap but work well when new...I am thinking there is an errosion factor in the equation somewhere....less effect as time goes on....

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
They are to say cheap but work well when new...I am thinking there is an errosion factor in the equation somewhere....less effect as time goes on....
I don't think that's the case at all ... in fact, the fact that they appear to be "collapsed" is an indication that they are restricted ...

What would cause a filter to restrict inherently quicker than a different brand, all other factors being equal ?

Well, if the filtration media that the filter is made from filters to a finer degree, then the filter is going to load up faster, and become restricted quicker. The STP filters appear to use some type of synthetic media, whereas Mann and Hengst (what I'm using now) are just paper.

FWIW, I used to use the STP b4 I started buying my filters from Europarts San Diego

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I checked, and the STP filters are made from paper and other natural fibers (the exact contents they don't seem to want to say). I don't have a Hengst filter handy, so I can't compare them directly, but I do have an STP, Mann and Fram filter at hand. Fram and Mann filters seem to be made of the same material, same colorations of a depressing dirty brownish yellow, while the STP filter is a much brighter and happier yellow. Makes ya feel good just looking at it.

Mann filters emerge after an oil change as being more rigid than the Fram filters, tho, so I don't think they are of the same material exactly. Or there might be a different manufabrication of fabrication process that's causing that.

A collapsed filter certainly indicates a restriction, but the amount oif restriction is relative to the material itself. It may be filtering better, causing the collapse, or it many be weaker filtering material, which would cause an earlier collapse than other materials.

Interestingly, the Mann filter has 50 pleats, the Fram 54, and the STP has 64 pleats.
I don't know what tht means.

Since the pleat depth certainly appears to be the same on all filters, that would mean that STP filters have more filtering surface area. Right? More material, more tightly packed. The pleats on the STP filter are not as evenly spaced as the Mann pleats. The Fram pleats are more evenly spaced, but not as much as the Mann.

Both the STP and the Fram filters have plastic endcaps. The Mann (and I think Hengst and Mahle) has encaps made of the same material as the filter itself, more tighly packed, and sealed. So from an envirnmental standpoint, that would be more incinerator friendly.

I prefer the Mann filters, especially if I were to let the filter go without changing it between oil changes. But with changing filters out between the oil changes, I can't imagine that Fram or STP would not be fine. STP and Fram both have reputations to protect, and they aren't likely to risk that with crappy filters.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I checked, and the STP filters are made from paper and other natural fibers (the exact contents they don't seem to want to say).
Really ? ...... where exactly did you come up with that data ? (since STP really makes no mention whatsoever on their site about their oil filter line, much less any disclosure regarding their construction ...)

Fram and Mann filters seem to be made of the same material, same colorations of a depressing dirty brownish yellow, while the STP filter is a much brighter and happier yellow.
The last STP filter for a Sprinter that I had a look at was entirely white ..... no hint of yellow whatsoever. It did not appear to be paper ....

It is quite likely that STP sources at least some (if not all) of their filters from a major OEM filter manufacturer (which may be the reason for one color one time, a different color another) - this is a common practice where manufacturer or reseller lacks coverage in their product line, and the economics are such that it doesn't pay to tool up a line to produce a particular, specific model filter that has a limited market ..... or in the case of a reseller/marketer they may not even have actual manufacturing equipment:

STP S8081 filter is really a Mann filter

The actual OEM on the STP filters is likely Champion Labs or Purolator ..... although it's certainly possible that it could be someone else (as cited in the above link)

A collapsed filter certainly indicates a restriction, but the amount oif restriction is relative to the material itself. It may be filtering better, causing the collapse, or it many be weaker filtering material, which would cause an earlier collapse than other materials.
Certainly possible. The only way one would really know is do a series of UOA's with particle counts to try and get a big enough statistical sample to determine whether one filter was filtering better than another. :D

Unfortunately many filter manufacturers and resellers do not publish detailed specs (Wix is one that does) giving the filtration ratings for the products they sell.

Interestingly, the Mann filter has 50 pleats, the Fram 54, and the STP has 64 pleats. I don't know what tht means.
It means one has more pleats than the other ...... :rolleyes:

Since the pleat depth certainly appears to be the same on all filters, that would mean that STP filters have more filtering surface area. Right? More material, more tightly packed. The pleats on the STP filter are not as evenly spaced as the Mann pleats. The Fram pleats are more evenly spaced, but not as much as the Mann.
Until you actually get to the amount of media surface area the filter actually has in it (measured in square inches) it's all just speculation. They all likely have a very similar amount, owing to the design of the filter.

Both the STP and the Fram filters have plastic endcaps.
Interesting .... on the last Sprinter STP filter I saw, the endcaps appeared to be paper ....

The Mann (and I think Hengst and Mahle) has encaps made of the same material as the filter itself, more tighly packed, and sealed.
The Mann, possibly .... the Hengst, I'm not so sure .... it appears to be different, possibly even plastic or some sort of a composite.

So from an environmental standpoint, that would be more incinerator friendly.
Awwww .... I dunno ...... I find plastic burns real well ...... :D

But with changing filters out between the oil changes, I can't imagine that Fram or STP would not be fine. STP and Fram both have reputations to protect, and they aren't likely to risk that with crappy filters.
Yup, pretty much.

Last edited:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Hengst (on the left) vs. Mann (on the right):

Attachments

• IMG_0477.jpg
    IMG_0477.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 11

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Since the electronic digital forum police won't allow me to post the same text (albeit with a different picture) I'm having to add these words at the beginning .... how retarded ... :rolleyes:

Hengst (on the left) vs. Mann (on the right):

Attachments

• IMG_0479.jpg
    IMG_0479.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The one on the right looks like the same one I have at home for almost 2 yrs....it came in the STP box...didn't notice till I got it home it was different....now I inspect every box in the store...caught one last year same thing as above....they must be made on or near the same production line and got mixed up...or twice someone has switched products which is unlikely in 2 different stores....so much for QC where ever they have their filters made....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Really ? ...... where exactly did you come up with that data ? (since STP really makes no mention whatsoever on their site about their oil filter line, much less any disclosure regarding their construction ...)
Two places, actually. Most synthetic filters have "synthetic" on the box to let you know it's a higher end synthetic filter. I know that's hardly the litmus test, as there may very well be synthetic filters that aren't labeled as such, and the filter inside the box can change on a regular basis. But this one doesn't say synthetic, and some of the boxes at the store did. I know that most oil filters are made of paper (cellulose or cellulose in combination with other natural fibers, binders and resins), and when they are made of something else, especially a mesh metal or a synthetic, it's usually promoted in the packaging. But not always.

Purolator's new PureOne filter with the "Micronic Media" is just a specialty paper.

But, I also checked with the Federal Mogul Web site, who makes the Champion oil filters (and many others. They absorbed a lot of Champion Labs a few years ago. I've picked up or delivered many times to a Champion facility, only to arrive and find it's now a Federal Mogul facility. They're kinda like Johnson Controls and batteries in that respect). The Web site says they are constructed with "embossed papers". Which usually means a combination of cellulose and cotton. Sometimes fiberglass instead of cotton, tho. If they were synthetic or metal mesh, they'd probably want to promote that, as those tend to be for high end or specialty filters.

The last STP filter for a Sprinter that I had a look at was entirely white ..... no hint of yellow whatsoever. It did not appear to be paper ....
Dunno what to tell ya. Might have been synthetic, or might be any number of flavors of cellulose-based media. Different types of resins are used to allow for smaller micron filtration down below the 40 microns of standard paper filters, and that can change the texture and appearance of the cellulose. I've seen a couple of different synthetic filters that look and feel just like a cellulose-cotton based felt material, but it's purely synthetic. Same with the Sprinter gasoline engine "fleece" filter - it's 100% synthetic, but feels like a taught-nap fleece wool.

No doubt that you can buy one filter and then a month later buy the same filter and it's a of a different construction, maybe even from a different manufacturer. Can't keep track of 'em like you used to. Regardless of the media, they should all perform to the same specs, though. Significant reputations are on the line with these things, so I'm pretty confident in most of 'em to filter to at least a set minimum standard.

It is quite likely that STP sources at least some (if not all) of their filters from a major OEM filter manufacturer...
Yup

The actual OEM on the STP filters is likely Champion Labs or Purolator ..... although it's certainly possible that it could be someone else (as cited in the above link)
Yup. Purolator is part of Clarcor now, tho. Their stated oil filtration media is either a resin impregnated cellulose material, or fiberglass.

Certainly possible. The only way one would really know is do a series of UOA's with particle counts to try and get a big enough statistical sample to determine whether one filter was filtering better than another.
True. But I would think that between different brands, the same filter for a given engine is generally going to filter in the same micron range or at roughly the same efficiency. I can't imagine one brand filtering at 20 microns and another brand filtering at 10 without the 10 micron filter loudly and proudly exclaiming that fact on the outside of the box. Maybe not the micron size, but certainly the filtration efficiency as measured by those various SAE standards. Most filter at 20 microns, and then list a 96%, 97.% or 99% efficiency. They just don't tell you that they're filtering at 20 microns. You've got to go look up the SAE specs for that.

Unfortunately many filter manufacturers and resellers do not publish detailed specs (Wix is one that does) giving the filtration ratings for the products they sell.
Yeah, I think a little slip of paper with all the detailed specs should be required.

It means one has more pleats than the other ......

Until you actually get to the amount of media surface area the filter actually has in it (measured in square inches) it's all just speculation. They all likely have a very similar amount, owing to the design of the filter.
Yeah, but interior diameter and circumferences are the same on all three filters, as are the outer circumfrence, height of the filtering media is essentially the same, as are the pleat depths. Yet they all have differing numbers of pleats. Wierd.

Awwww .... I dunno ...... I find plastic burns real well ......
Oh, it'll burn well, but it'll also give off toxic gasses, one of which is cynanide. So don't through your old oil filters into the fireplace and then stand there breathing deeply. :D

STP, Fram, Mann

aileron

Expert Expediter
Ok, not having anything better to do today :) I stopped at an Autozone to look at the oil filters.
The STP 8481 that they have listed for the Sprinter is a MANN filter in STP box. Maybe they just switched manufacturers, because when you click on the description of the filter on Auto Zone's page it says something about Champion. So maybe the whiter filter was made by Champion.
The STP costs $11.49 and comes with 4 o-rings that are just about the right size, but not exactly. So, I will stick with the $7.45 MANN filters from europarts that come with 3 o-rings, the correct size.

aileron

Expert Expediter
Ok, here is another kind of sprinter oil filter that I haven't seen before. I ordered some parts from a place online that I forget now, and they were listing sprinter oil filters cheaper than anything I have seen. I ordered one just to see what it is.
In the pictures I included a MANN filter just for comparison.
It comes with 4 o-rings, the big one and the small one are the same size as the mann's, but the other 2 in the middle, one is a tad small, one is a tad big compared to the middle size of the mann.

Attachments

• Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Thanks. Good find on the sale. Pays to do the math. I saw the sale, knew they don't carry the filter I need, and passed it up. I've since gone back. One store didn't let me switch an extra quart of oil for a filter, but another store did. It just occurred to me that I could also just get an 06 or earlier filter and auction it off to some of you guys. Do I hear ten dollars.....?

eb

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Made in Taiwan. Interesting. The STP one that I got was made in China. The Fram filters I have were made in South Africa.