Get it in writing before committing!

dawgtown

Expert Expediter
As a newbie the forum has been very helpful in answering questions and responding to concerns. I should have followed the most repeated advice, "Read the contract first, get it in writing!!!" The ad heading said "70/30 split, best pay!" The ad said, "DRIVERS NEEDED NOW! MUST QUALIFY WITH ****. AVERAGE .52 PER MILE YOU PAY FUEL, TOLLS, QUAILCOM AND INSURANCE AVERAGE 2000 MILES PER WEEK. YOU KEEP ALL DH, EM, DRY RUNS, FUEL SURCHARGE. NOBODY PAYS BETTER! This would be excellent if it were true. Unfortunately I was excited and in a hurry to get in the business so I accepted verbal confirmation by telephone and went to orientation. After orientation I met with the O/O and signed a lease agreement that does not resemble the verbal agreement. This agreement states "Lessee will receive the following, Approximately 55% of the .77% that the van generates per loaded mile, ($.42 per mile), all other moneys generated by the van will go to lessee (dry runs, fuel surcharges, empty moves, etc.) Lesser will consider 45% of van revenue as rental payment ($.35 per loaded mile). The O/O told me that when all the extras are considered that it adds up to at least 70/30. The van is a fairly decent 2002 Chev extended with 100,000 miles but is not insulated and has no floor tracks and no bulkhead between the driver and freight (O/O said tracks and bulkheads are too expensive). The van is essentially an uninsulated icebox. I am a newbie and I'm a little concerned. I'm home for the weekend preparing to hit the road again Monday. What is wrong with this picture? Should I be looking for a better contract? I'm willing to work hard and stay on the road as much as possible. I need to make a decent income in return for my work. Am I being exploited or should I look at a few paychecks first before making any decisions.

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
You can do better! Tell this joker to come up with more money or your out of there. I hate people who can't tell the truth. Good luck.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think it is a much better policy to have all of these things up front whether you are attending orientation or not. Pursue the owners that have a decent and honest reputation.
Find another owner other than this guy. Sounds like he is a rip-off artist.
Davekc

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I did some quick and dirty math.Asuume 1500 loaded miles per week,comes to $653 at .42 per mile. Qual comm deduct leaves $623,fuel used based on 1800 miles per week at 15 mpg,at $1.75 per gallon leaves you with $413. Tolls may average in a van $35 leaves you with $378. I am not certain what your insurance is but that will also be another deduction.
Now since the van is an ice box with no sleeping capability you will need to buy motel rooms as you will not be home every night.

My advice get more bucks or leave this guy.. Based on 1500 loaded miles per week the O/O is getting $525..

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I couldn't agree more with my fellow moderators. If all things are as you represented, you are destined to failure with this flim-flam owner. Lose him/her and find yourself a reputable owner with whom to enter into a business arraingement.

Terry

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
What is wrong with this picture? Should I
>be looking for a better contract? I'm willing to work hard
>and stay on the road as much as possible. I need to make a
>decent income in return for my work. Am I being exploited or
>should I look at a few paychecks first before making any
>decisions.

Hi Jim,

Only my humble opinion here but ya would be better off buying your own van & signing on directly w/ a company. The exception to this might be if you wanted to try the job out to see if you liked it.

With the exception of husband/wife teams a van generally isn't going to provide enough income to support 2 people. Ya may want to look into getting a used van. You could quite possibly have a payment of less than 300 + insurance. Those would be your fixed expenses in terms of the van.

In a sense, if you have a 70/30 split w/ your owner, you're paying him 30% to rent his van. I have a hunch that 30% will come out to a lot more than a van payment/insurance/upkeep/repairs will be.

Best of Luck to ya,
Danny

dawgtown

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the response. It confirms what I suspect. My goal now is to drive for awhile, learn the business and determine if I like it enough to buy my own van or straight truck. I would like to drive for a fleet O/O for about a year if I could afford it. It anyone knows of a top-notch O/O who needs a van driver please let me know. If I can make enough income I will stay with a fleet owner. If I buy a used van, does anyone have any recommendations? Should I get an extended van, Ford, Chevy etc? What size engine is recommended for the most power and fuel mileage? The van I'm driving is a 2001 Chev extended with 8.1 litre engine. My O/O said I should get 15 mpg. I don't think this is possible with that engine. I cannot afford a new van. I will look for an off-lease van with around 100K miles for 5000.00 to 7000.00. All recommendations and comments are appreciated. (I would like to stay with Panther.)

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If it were me I would call Panther recruiting and see if they have a van owner looking for a driver. You should get a better gig than you are getting from this guy.
Davekc

Whiterabbit

Expert Expediter
Hi folks! long time no see!...separate post coming in a few days...I have a 1 ton GMC Van for sale see my add in used trucks, my payment is 300 a mo., need to get out from under it , i got called back to work. MAYBE i can help you out...( boy do i miss expediting!,oh well in two yrs i get to retire from the city...the people at Thompson WERE GREAT, thx Perry an Bob and all the rest!.........)