Genorator power question

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm not quite sure what you are asking. I am sure that if your generator or any other source is putting out 220 volts you don't want to run 110 volt appliances without a proper step-down transformer. Also, running a 220 volt AC unit from a 110 volt generator ain't gonna work.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
There are plug converters like 3 to 2 prong that take the special 220 plugs and make it a 110 plug socket.
we use the reducers in the trailer park here...as some small units only have 30 amp service and the plug ins are 50 amp....doesn't google say anything?

Q:
How do you convert 220 volts to 110 volts?
A:
Quick Answer
To convert a 220-volt outlet to a 110-volt outlet, either purchase an adapter or remove the existing receptacle from the outlet box. Either option allows a 110-volt appliance to plug into a previously 220-volt outlet.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
we use the reducers in the trailer park here...as some small units only have 30 amp service and the plug ins are 50 amp....doesn't google say anything?
Is a reducer a plug that fits a 220V receptacle but only taps one leg of the 220V supply?

floridawheels

Active Expediter
220vac is simply 2 legs of 110vac and a ground/neutral. Sometimes like on newer (for a lot of years now) house appliances, like a clothes dryer, will have 4 prongs. 2 of them are your basic 110vac legs and 1 ground, 1 neutral.

I don't believe there are ready made "converter" plugs available that will plug into a 220vac receptacle and have a normal looking 110vac receptacle on the other end for you to plug your... Whatever into.

However, by simply not using 1 of the 2 220 legs available on your generator receptacle your going to get 110vac. Rather than me tell you how to build your own "converter plug" (and risk me screwing up the directions or you screwing up the build) if you contact pretty much any electrician they can make one up for you in about 5 minutes.

If you get a male 220 plug that fits your generator, a female 3 wire extension cord type replacement female plug and a foot or two of "12/2 with ground" you'll have all the parts you need. Give them to your electrician along with $20 wait 5 minutes and your in business. Note: when you buy plugs, spend a few extra $$ and get good ones. Don't go cheap. It isn't worth the small Savings, especially when your only buying 2..

On the other hand, most generators (that are able to provide 220vac) give you the choice of 110 or 220 and sometimes, both simultaneously. Yours probably does.

Note that using only 1 leg of the 220 can cause the generator to run "unbalanced". In long term use some generators don't like that, some don't seem to care.

If you wanted to get real fancy you could wire a "Y" converter with 2 of the 110 type plugs, 1 on each of the 2 Y legs, the 220vac plug on the other. You would have your electrician wire 1 of the 110vac plugs to each leg of the 220 and plug only the a/c into 1 leg, everything else on the other.

Alternatively, you could have him wire up a small box with a 220 cord/plug. The box could have 2 normal wall outlets, 1 on each leg.

But again, check your generator to make sure you don't already have a normal 110 outlet available...

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Moot