Gelled up in Youngetown OH

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
I changed a frozen fuel filter, got back rolling and wham frozen again, I limped into the TA bought some de-geller, tried to top off the tanks and couldn't cause all their fuel hoses were frozen solid as well.

I guess I'm going home for the winter

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I changed a frozen fuel filter, got back rolling and wham frozen again, I limped into the TA bought some de-geller, tried to top off the tanks and couldn't cause all their fuel hoses were frozen solid as well.

I guess I'm going home for the winter

what does their fuel lines being frozen have to do with you?....you said you were "topping off"...you are not low on fuel...must be 101 different places to "Top Off" like a Speedway or something to throw $50 bucks in outta yer pocket

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sorry for your luck et as they say when rains it pours.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Let's hope this thread reminds everyone who burns diesel to make sure that they are treating their fuel for this weather.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Let's hope this thread reminds everyone who burns diesel to make sure that they are treating their fuel for this weather.

that extra few seconds it takes because sometimes we wimp out or whatever excuse not to put in the additive...or the "it won't happen to me"...idea...

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
that extra few seconds it takes because sometimes we wimp out or whatever excuse not to put in the additive...or the "it won't happen to me"...idea...

Part of the problem is the reality of the business. We fuel in FL then drive to ND. It's easy to forget the additive when it's +75.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Part of the problem is the reality of the business. We fuel in FL then drive to ND. It's easy to forget the additive when it's +75.

that is for sure...guess if weren't for the added expense just put additive in all the winter season if one is prone to forgetting...

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
that is for sure...guess if weren't for the added expense just put additive in all the winter season if one is prone to forgetting...

Most of the winter we mix our winter/summer additives to cut costs. We put in 50% of the winter mix with some summer. MOST of the winter that is more than enough to keep things free of gel.

When we came home for the holidays is was rather warm. We still fueled with max winter additive, in case it got cold. Figured right for a change.

People also need to consider other engines if they have them. We ran the reefer and APU for a while to make sure that there was treated fuel throughout the entire system.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
One of the times when having gasoline power is potentially advantageous.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
Well I just guessed that if the TA was frozen solid likely anyone else in the area is too.

According to dispatch, quite a few other trucks froze last night also.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Got a Friend who's sitting on I-65 right outside Lebanon Indiana right now who's Diesel has all Gelled Up on him. (he posted the video on his FB page just 12 minutes ago) He is sitting ON I-65 in the right lane that's still iced/snowed up while vehicles are passing him on the semi-clear left lane. He thought he put enough additive in on last fuel up.........he thought wrong.

Said he's passed several trucks on the side of the road since he left Indianapolis that might be sitting there for the same reason.........

Last edited:

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
My truck has a "fuel Preheater" built into the filter, so I've never needed additive before andthe manual sais don't use it.

Aparently my "preheater" has **** the bit.

Anyway, I going home for the winter, I have no desire to get killed out here.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
My truck has a "fuel Preheater" built into the filter, so I've never needed additive before andthe manual sais don't use it.

Aparently my "preheater" has **** the bit.

Anyway, I going home for the winter, I have no desire to get killed out here.

But if it gells in the tank the inline heater is of no use....the fuel pump can't pump it ...you are lucky the injectors didn't need bleeding....

Brisco

Expert Expediter
But if it gells in the tank the inline heater is of no use....the fuel pump can't pump it ...you are lucky the injectors didn't need bleeding....

Yep..............

And......with the Fuel Tank being underneath your vehicle..........along with the outside Temp below freezing...........you'll have a Dry Ice effect on that tank while you're going 55-65-70MPH down the road with the wind just blowing on the bottom of that tank. You don't need Ice or Snow to cause Gelling in your Fuel Tank...............Only Temps well below the Freezing Mark.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yep..............

And......with the Fuel Tank being underneath your vehicle..........along with the outside Temp below freezing...........you'll have a Dry Ice effect on that tank while you're going 55-65-70MPH down the road with the wind just blowing on the bottom of that tank. You don't need Ice or Snow to cause Gelling in your Fuel Tank...............

Had one once I reached in and it (fuel) sat like Jello in my hand....no way a fuel pump is picking that up....

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Unless you are talking a heated tank, the actual tank temperature doesn't change regardless of the amount of wind on it. Ex. If it is 10 outside with a 50 MPH wind, the tank is still 10 degrees.
Buying fuel in IN or IL is a bad idea in these extremes because they cut the fuel with a higher amount of bio which of course gels faster. If fueling there, you must increase the additive to compensate.
Case in point. I have a friend that has a Peterbilt dealership in WI that invested close to a million in road trucks. Why? Because he is waiting for people to buy fuel at say the TA in Hampshire and come up there and freeze up. He got his investment back several years ago.
In the extremes, Howes and Power Service are barely enough if it is below minus ten. Usually best to use those and cut it with 911.
If you call a service truck, guess what they are using? 911 mixed with one of the others.
There is my tip of the day. :D

zorry

Veteran Expediter
My daughter froze up a few years ago near 76/80 Co/Ne border.
-75 wind chills.
Some 911, new filter, and off they went.

For these type temps I carry 911. No reason to chance something else.