Garmin Nuvi recall

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Even if you have one of those models, the likelihood of you having one of the recalls is still slim. You need to go to that Web site and enter your serial number to know for sure. I know two 260W owners, and one 765T owner who's serial numbers aren't part of the recall.

The overheating is caused by certain batteries that were built within a specific 30 day period, and only then when those specific batteries are used with a Nuvi that has one particular PCB design, of which only a few Nuvis have. It is being reported that the recall involves 1.3 million Nuvis, but that's also the same number of combined 200W, 250W, 260W, 7xx and 7xxT units that have been sold in total. The recall only affects about 15,000 or 20,000 units worldwide. And so far, they have seen the overheating issue in only 10 units. The battery manufacturer is footing most of the bill.

Can you imagine driving down the road and your Garmin burst into flames? Like we don't have enough driving distractions already.

About twice a year mine will just fall right off the suction mount. It's happened once while I was driving. That'll get your attention.