Garmin DEZL GPS

movercash

Seasoned Expediter
Does anybody have any experience with the DEZL. I'm considering buying one and would like some experienced input.:cool:

MissKat

Expert Expediter
We like ours. Had the pcmiler first, then the rand mcnally 710 which I replaced five times when it would shut down and never come back on.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
I tried a cobra 7750 for a week, exchanged it for the garmin, very happy with it. It has nice features. But as with all garmins it has a weird sense of humor, so watch it.

Sent from my DROID X2

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
A weird sense of humor is a good analogy. I was going to say that sometimes it is to smart for it's own good.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Mine tells me to get off the Interstate, drive around the block, and then get back on the Interstate. I've fallen for it twice, and both times it laughed at me for 30 miles.

Big Redd

Expert Expediter
I have had mine for about 3 weeks now.I really do like it. It replaced the old Garmin truck unit and they have improved on it allot. Deals better with weight restrictions and clearance issues then old one. Called Garmin and they told me how to transfer all my old favorites to the new unit. For an extra $50.00 you can get life time updates of the maps.Screen is bigger then the old one and the size works really nice. Speaker volume is much better then any other Garmin I've ever had.Been using Garmin's for 9 years and this is the first one I didn't have to turn up to 100% to hear it easily. Nice bright. screen. I tried the blu tooth for my phone and I got complaints from people who said I was muffled and hard to hear,so I don't use it any more. The only complaint I had was it no longer has boarder crossings listed in preloaded points of interest, I asked them about it and they kinda responded with surprise that it was missing..Really like unit and worth the money..Got mine from PC Nation with the extra 3 year warranty for $469.00

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Mine tells me to get off the Interstate, drive around the block, and then get back on the Interstate. I've fallen for it twice, and both times it laughed at me for 30 miles.

Delorme Street Atlas does that all the time. I find it hard to imagine that these units are still this bad after all these years. I guess it is because we just keep on buying them.

Do ANY of the stand alone units allow you to turn OFF the GPS receiver? Do ANY of the stand alone units allow you to input the routing WITHOUT having to modify a machine generated route? Do ANY of the stand alone units allow you to "SLAVE" off a laptop?

cc194217

Seasoned Expediter
We like ours. Had the pcmiler first, then the rand mcnally 710 which I replaced five times when it would shut down and never come back on.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Can you PM me in regards to the Rand McNally?

I am a Field Manager for Rand McNally.

Thanks,
Mark

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hi Mark,

How is it going? Have not seen you in here for a while. I do miss my Rands. Maybe again someday.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Do ANY of the stand alone units allow you to turn OFF the GPS receiver? Do ANY of the stand alone units allow you to input the routing WITHOUT having to modify a machine generated route? Do ANY of the stand alone units allow you to "SLAVE" off a laptop?
Well, no, not really. What you are seeking is a really small external display monitor for the laptop.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well, no, not really. What you are seeking is a really small external display monitor for the laptop.

Yeah, I have been looking into that. I have looked at some REALLY cool ideas, only none work so far. I was hoping for laptop truck routing and a few other toys. None of the laptop programs are as accurate as the Rands I used to have. The problem is that the stand alone units are just NOT very useful for manual use.

movercash

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for the comments everybody. I bought the Garmin 465T at a Pilot outside Louisville for $299.00. So far so good. I had a Rand tnd710 before so takes a little bit getting used to the screen size. I do like it better than the rand. So far no funny routes but learned with the rand to go over route with atlas before leaving. lol I will be updating the maps when I get home and will look for a smaller truck icon. Thanks again everybody.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm curious as to why you didn't go with the DEZL? I have a 465 and I'm really tempted to upgrade, I'm just having problems justifying it so soon.

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
Congrats on the 465T purchase we have had ours for a little over two years.Two little annoying things you made not have noticed yet.One ,if you are set to shortest route you may be told to get off the eway drive down the service drive,then re-enter the eway. we have gotten in the habit of reveiwing the entire route prior to leaving. This way when the gps says exit.... you can say why i should be going further on....This will happen more in New Jersy and New York. Two when you exit the eway for fuel ect... and it's not an added stop. Pay attention to where you get back on the eway. If you don't your going to go sight seeing on a new route.Yes the gps will calculate a new route,instead of just going back the way you got off. Also being set on the shortest route dosn't make it the fastest route.

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
We used the Rand McNally for a long time, and used to love it. Then after we did an update it started acting REALLY stupid! So we bought the Garmin DEZL and as soon as we took it out of the box, knew it was going to be our favorite. It's as close to perfect as we have found so far. loving it. Just one thing....anyone know how to find POI along route? Or can you do that with this one? Other than that, we really like it. We bought Cobra's newest GPS and it was complete junk for us. we've had it a month, and the thing freezes and sometimes won't even turn on. Oh well, use it as a tax write off because it's past the point of exchange.

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
I really like this unit. At every fuel stop I take the time to input the fueling info. At the end of this quarter I just got through plugging it into my laptop and downloading my IFTA report and emailing it to my company. Nice and neat, has each states mileage & gallons listed......:thumbup:

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
One of the things you must do with the Garmins is connect to the website within 90 days of first using it, and Updating the maps, its worth it to get the lifetime maps feature and use it every 90 days, I still would like to see Google come out with a Truck Specific GPS and have MAPS on it. Nobody has the Highways and roads of this country better mapped then Googles Maps....Ive got this on my phone and its simply works all the time, although the screen is small I use the Bluetooth feature and you must watch for Low bridges etc, All these GPS system require updates and software updates etc so again Id always get the Lifetime Map updates and use it every 90 days.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Finding Trucking Points
of Interest
The detailed maps loaded in your
device contain trucking points of
interest, such as truck stops, rest
areas, and weigh stations.
1. From the main menu, touch
Where To? > Points of Interest
> Trucking.
2. Select a category.