Garmin c340 minor frustration

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
My garmin c340 does something that makes me want to pitch it out the window. I'll be driving along happy as a clam when suddenly it will say ",a better route is available," just out of the blue. I have looked this up on line and in that rediculous excuse for a manual and there is no explanation for this. I don't know if it is updating my route or if it's making a suggestion. If it is making a suggestion how do I see what it is? Does anyone have any insight into this feature???? AAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGG. It sounds so smug when it announces that it knows a better route. I'm getting ready to cross it's wires or find a way to cause it pain until it gives up the secrets it's holding out on me. Maybe it's just the little voices in my head.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
When you start out on a route, the Garmin is always calculating will still try and find a better route, and will do that right up until you arrive at the destination. In earlier versions of the software it will announce it had found a new route, and give you the opportunity to accept or reject the new route (unfortunately, without actually telling you what the changes are). Subsequent software updates eliminated the annoying announcement and it'll just recalculate and reroute on its own.

Have you ever used the WebUpdater from Garmin to update your Garmin system software? (the WebUpdater is by ar the best way to update, but you can download and manually update it if you like) Garmin | WebUpdater

The latest software version for the c340 is version 6.10, updated July 16, 2008. In the Garmin, the tools menu, System, About will give you your current version. Here's the rundown of the changes in previous versions:
Garmin: StreetPilot c340 Updates & Downloads

guido4475

Not a Member
I tell you what, dont buy a cobra navone 5000!!!What a joke!! I bought it 4 months ago, and cobra cant seem to get it right.Many updates and downloads later, it still has issues.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I have not updated the system and I know it's overdue but my present business volume makes me reluctant to do it at this time. I suppose I can afford it but income is so low it might put me into a loss for the month. I have always felt the business should pay for itself and I have general maintenance expenses coming up on the Sprinter. Nobody is cheaper than this old chubby Scottsman.

I realize that the Garman is offering me the chance to accept a better route but I have no idea ho to accept it.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I did go in and do the software updates a few minutes ago and I'm looking forward to trying it without her snide remarks. My maps are a year old but I think I'll wait a year and just upgrade to a newer model. Thanks a bunch for the link Turtle, it's much apprciated. .............. TJ

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, the system software updates are free. It's just the Maps Updates that cost you. :)

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I purchased the updated software for my c330. What I didn't know until I installed it was that it was too big for my unit. I had to drop Canada in order to have the complete lower 48. May not be an issue with a 340...

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I purchased the updated software for my c330. What I didn't know until I installed it was that it was too big for my unit. I had to drop Canada in order to have the complete lower 48. May not be an issue with a 340...

Just an idea, did you clear out all previously searched address and maybe some of the saved addresses taht you don't need anymore. Might give you more room, not sure.