Garden Center 2012

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It is a great feeling of self satisfaction, all that hard work paying off when them little sprouts start poking thru...

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Now if those packets of flower seeds all come up in my flowerbeds I'll be happy. :)
My new white peony is about a foot tall now!

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
got some new tomato cages today...actually use peony cages because they're stronger.

and another hanging basket......

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Just finished planting my companion plants...Marigolds help tomatoes, potatoes and strawberries. Which is a good thing because I handpicked and squashed 3 potato bugs this morning!

And since I lost one tomato plant and the cukes hadn't sprouted yet, I bought those plants from the county master gardener program and was lucky enough to have two master gardeners to converse with.

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
So the garden is all hoed and watered..kinda did an oops with the hoe. Green onions and leeks are like fine little hairs when they break the soil and I think I wiped out about a foot of the green onions.....:rolleyes:

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
It's about that time...the neighbors start getting lucky...the rhubarb is ready to be pulled.
Just planted some red impatiens around the base of a big elm in the front yard, and lots of white ones around my white peony plant flower bed. Time to water!

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Yummy...just picked a handful of the french breakfast radishes and am enjoying them now..
think I'm going to have to reseed my cukes...

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
think I'll go yank enough rhubarb and make some tarts with philo dough..and strawberries..wonder how a little brie would go with that....

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Got my sweet potato plants in the mail today...sure are itty bitty things. Today I prepped the soil by building a hilled row of about 10-12" high and dug a 2 inch trough in the middle. I used black landscaping fabric on both sides of the row to heat up the soil and keep the weeds down. You're supposed to plant these by punching down a small hole, pouring about a cup of water in each hole, putting the plant in and then molding it together with your hand. And you're supposed to plant in late afternoon and since tonight it'll be down to around 38, I'm opting for tomorrow for that.

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Well my garden is thriving...the sweet potatoes had to be covered for a couple of nights, but they're looking pretty perky this morning. We've had enough rain so I haven't had to water for a few days, but now the sun is here. The corn is getting pretty big and with the sun it should be reaching for the moon in a few more weeks. Already harvested all my rhubarb and will get a second batch later on. Ken was finally home when the french breakfast radishes were still small and tender and loved them. The peas and beans are creeping up the trellis's and the onions are getting big. Those itty bitty tomatoes that I planted from seed are getting bigger and healthier every day...already have the cages on them. I'm glad I'm a gardener!!!:)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Filling in with the garden report while JuJu is laid up....

Yukon Gold Potatoes plants are getting real big, looks like the sweet potatoes might survive...the sweet peas are blossoming....cukes and peppers are progressing....pulled some weeds as well...

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
I feel pretty lucky I was able to hobble out to turn on the water to the garden and let it soak for a couple of hours..looks the peas are ready to be picked and OMG the weeds look like they're winning..c'mon dang foot...get better..I need to get busy!