Garden 2013 Time line

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
No...on second thought...fence in the garden and turn them loose in there..they'll eat all the bugs and add a little fertilizer. I've actually thought of doing that with some chickens but then when the season ends I'd probably have named the chickens and couldn't eat them...:p

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
5/1

Well it got down to 26 last night so was anxious to see what happened with the tomato plants. Had a few leaves withered but they all still look healthy. Had them in the greenhouse and zipped up the front early in the afternoon and used a huge quilt to cover it. The leaves I cut off were touching the vinyl so I loosely tied them together at the top to prevent that tonight, watered them heavily, and zipped up the vinyl again. I'll let the sun warm them today and toss that quilt on early afternoon again.. only 2 more nights below freezing. I'm really loving that little greenhouse!

I also planted some pansies in hanging baskets yesterday, watered them and let them drain, but they will be sitting in the warm house until the freezing is over.

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
I'm thinking I should hook up the sprayer and get some evergreen food on the evergreens..but I might wait until tomorrow...think I got a bit of a chill being out most of the morning.

Or I could hook up another hose and sprinkler and water the south lawn, but I need to get some more weed killer on it. And go get the tractor when I turn on the well water.

Or I could go dig up a row to plant the tomatoes when it warms up.

oh hang it..I think a hot roast beef and Havarti cheese sandwich on a sub roll and a quilt across my lap and catch up on NCIS..

guess which one is going to win!!!!:p

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Just had the best news ever...hubby will be home for the weekend to help transplant these tomatoes! Talk about timing!:D

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
No wonder all those Load 1 drivers sit at the yard day after day, they dread going home to the " honey do" list.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums mobile app

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Well it's official...the garden is all planted and the tomatoes have survived the transplanting.
Now I'm just watching as the seeds break through the soil...so far peas, spinach, collards, radishes, shallots, garlic and leeks are all peeking up at this beautiful 77 degree weather we're having today. And thanks to my hubby's help with the hoses and well water it's all set up to water for free with our own well water. I do believe spring has finally sprung!:)

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
took a few springtime pictures after I mowed...100_0572.jpg100_0561.jpg100_0567.jpg100_0576.jpg100_0577.jpg100_0571.jpgThe apricots are blossoming, the rhubarb is coming up, daffodils are blooming and the lilacs are budding out. The second photo is my peonies, daylilies and purple hyacinths.

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
5/13 Reseeded the cucumbers. One hill of squash is bubbling up but still no sign of the green beans or the kale. If today's heat and tons of water don't push them up will reseed those again soon. My horseradish is coming on strong too.

First gladiola poking thru the ground and so is the white peony!

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Had another little sunrise surprise...the white daffodils with the yellow centers are starting to bloom too!:)

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
5/15 That 95 degree heat finally raised the corn and the green beans above the ground and the rain last night should help too. It's starting to look like a garden!