Garden 2013 Time line

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Actually I watch the weather and when that temp at night is above freezing I'll put things in a grow garden to harden them off without the plants freezing.

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
4/22 Must have had a couple inches because the plow made it's single pass for the day. Can't help but think this snow is slowly seeping into my seeds..should help the peas and beans and spinach, collards, and kale. I may have to replant my hills of cukes, watermelon, cantelope and squash though. And my potatoes are getting much needed moisture. It's still calling for a 65 degree day on Thursday though and night time temps above freezing. My garden is totally white..can't even see the black landscape fabric at all.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
If you stay out of the garden for another few days Spring just may show up.
Keep it up and this spring weather maybe become know as the:
2013 JUJU effect :cool:

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
It's going to be here tomorrow.. double and triple checked the weather. My vinyl covered grow garden will be on the front porch tomorrow and my tomato plants will be in it! Guaranteed! *lol*

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Hoping your right..I guess things are trying to pop at home but sounds like its a slow start there also.
Im good in the garden/yard work for the first few times and enjoy it then Im looking for the round up bottle after it becomes a job.

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Oh I agree...by the end of the year season when I'm canning and putting it all up, I swear this will be that last garden! But then Janurary comes and I start getting itchy to do it all again.

So today is the day for the deck transplant...just rechecked the weather and there's two nights next week that it'll be 32 and 30. It just so happens I have another hobby and make quilts which will fit nicely over the growgarden so game on!!!!

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I want perennial veggies that come back every year..Is there such a thing. No fuss,,just wait for em to grow..
I do have a good Strawberry patch started and this year should be the first really good batch.So looking forward to going out there early in the morning with the grand kids and sitting in the dirt for for a Strawberry breakfeast..

Had no luck growing the Asparagus,,Have attempted it time and time again..Go figure something that grows like weeds everywhere else I cant get to grow. I think I have a way to much shade in my area??? Very few spots in my yard get sunlight all day.

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
I want perennial veggies that come back every year..Is there such a thing. No fuss,,just wait for em to grow..
I do have a good Strawberry patch started and this year should be the first really good batch.So looking forward to going out there early in the morning with the grand kids and sitting in the dirt for for a Strawberry breakfeast..

Had no luck growing the Asparagus,,Have attempted it time and time again..Go figure something that grows like weeds everywhere else I cant get to grow. I think I have a way to much shade in my area??? Very few spots in my yard get sunlight all day.
And I have the exact opposite problem..my strawberries last year were miserable and I doubt they survived the winter. However I abuse my asparagus, can't till the ground around it and yet I keep getting those little bits in the spring that satisfy my urge for it. I eat it while I'm working in the garden as I find it. Ken doesn't care for it so won't be expanding that crop. And I mow the fronds way too early, maybe that's the ticket. :)

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Just took the vinyl covering off the grow garden, put some rugs on the deck and put the stand outside on them. I'm going to wait about an hour for it to warm up some to give me time enough to tie the tomato plants to the top and stake them. Cold wind coming from the south won't be too kind to plants that are used to being in the house.

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
4/26 Planted the shallots, garlic and corn today and have turned the sprinkler on the garden for the first time!

Was out on the front deck with my jammies on real early zipping open my grow garden...boy there's a lot of condensation on it...everything in there is eagerly reaching for the sun..

I love spring!

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Might have to toss a blanket over the grow garden on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday...4/30 - 5/2. I rearranged the grow garden to accommodate the 4' tomato plants, now they can actually stand up. Got lots of blooms on them this morning too.

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
4/28

just turned off the water and took a good look at the garden ..spinach and collards and a few shallots are poking up!
:D

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
It's a mite cool today so think I will spend the time going to town to get my annuals for the deck planters.:)

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I just got word we now have or own compost makers..Easter gifts to the grandkids from their parents and now living at my house..Dog got the boot from her kennel untill I get home and either make a pen or figure out how to cook em..Little upset bout this..We told her not to buy em because we didnt want em. I knew it would happen.
Not sure what to do about this yet :mad:

.2013-04-28_19-51-46_764.jpg