Garden 2013 Time line

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Just talked with my partner in crime when we did this last and she states as long as your close to end of your recipe,, Its up to you now..Do a taste test by taking a fork down into the mix (center) and not off the top..If you like the flavor your done..From this point on the fermation process will make it more sour.. Once your happy with the taste skim the top layer of cabbage off and removing the scum that forms and discard it..Some do this every day others due it at the end..

A thin layer...LOL Dont waste any of it.

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Tried it today and it's still too much like cabbage and not ready..so I rebrined and repacked it..tomorrow is the three week mark so I guess we're both going to have to have patience!

And I just picked two bags of dill and put it in the freezer so I'll have some for the later pickles. Mother Nature screwed up when the dill is ready before the cucumbers!!!!

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Tried it today and it's still too much like cabbage and not ready..so I rebrined and repacked it..tomorrow is the three week mark so I guess we're both going to have to have patience!

When my patience grows thin with a garden I reach for Round Up. It fixes everything.:D
Fresh kraut will be a bit crunchy like cabbage.
No idea on rebrining it. Never did that. Your on your own. I'm sure it will be fine.

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
When my patience grows thin with a garden I reach for Round Up. It fixes everything.:D
Fresh kraut will be a bit crunchy like cabbage.
No idea on rebrining it. Never did that. Your on your own. I'm sure it will be fine.

I honestly don't have a clue..just going by the seat of my pants! The liquid level was low so I added. And I'm crossing my fingers! :)

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
I had enough cucumbers to make up 3 quarts of Hamburger dill chips..my personal favorite!

And if you've never tried this one..cook up some sliced crookneck squash with a touch of water, butter, salt and pepper. Doesn't take long and when it's done put a slice of American cheese on it and stir till it melts. So simple and yet so good!

Last edited:

moose

Veteran Expediter
well, at least one president{& one god} loves you:

Attachments

• Aug.14-I-phone 007.jpg
    Aug.14-I-phone 007.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
This sun has been good for the garden. I picked a dishpan full of crook neck squash and another of tomatoes, cukes and beans. It's going to be a busy day in the kitchen canning!

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
The first two pints of salsa are done, and 2 quarts of pickles. I put the peas I picked in my pasta salad and am cooking up the green beans for lunch. And the squash I gave to a good friend because I have plenty and she loves it!

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Last count we have about 27 acorn squash. I can sometimes eat 1&1/2 or 2 at 1sitting. Rarely 2 but it can be done. How long will they keep? I don't wanna give any away. Unless I have to. :D

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
I'm guessing 3 months or so.. I'll store my buttercup and butternuts in the cool dark root cellar, but I'm also going to look into canning them. Crookneck don't last long at all..so I generally shred them into two cup baggies..just the right amount for a cake...and freeze them until needed.

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
and the corn is good...I love the peaches and cream variety. Didn't get a big yield but what I did get is ambrosia for the soul!

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Hanging up the sign..

Kraut's ready!

SloRide...I'll send out a pint with Ken the next time he's home...and let you and him figure out the logistics.

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Just picked about a bushel of tomatoes..the branches that fell thru the cages and were laying on the ground had some very heavy tomatoes on them..some partially ripe, but I wanted to get them before the bugs did. I'll let them finish ripening in the house and from past experience it won't take long. Salsa! Salsa! Salsa!