Fuel Mileage - Winter Blend yet?

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Three weeks ago MPG dropped by .75 to a gallon.

Anyone else seen this, all other circumstances are still the same, speed, weather has cooled but overall its been the same lately, truck running fine.

All I can figure is Winterblend.

riverrat2000

Seasoned Expediter
Got beat to the punch, lol I was thinking biodiesel myself I drop about a half mile to the gallon when I use that crap.

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
If I don't put the Howes fuel treatment in, we also see a slight drop in our MPG. As long as I keep it mixed in with the fuel we are able to stay at 7.00 mpg running 70 mph with our 475 ISX Cummins. The Bio-diesel seems to run a bit lower than the ULSD also for us.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What do you get with the ISX at 60-62 on non-bio fuel?

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
As I live in SD I can attest to the drop EVERY time I fuel up...My routine is top off in Indiana and that takes me to Des Moines Iowa and then again in Souix Falls goes 23mpg- 21mpg and back to 23 approx. Minn is even worse because they have that B20.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I don't know how MINN can get by requiring B20 when many manufacturers still recommend no higher than B5 .

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
Don't really know the answer since we rarely run that slow :p . Seriously, it only comes up a couple of tenths per mile. Not worth slowing down for (yet) in the 70-75mph states!;)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You should see approximately .1 mpg change per 1 mph change in speed at speeds above about 55-58mph. Even in the most aerodynamic truck the difference between 60mph and 70mph should be at least 1/2mpg. If the engine is drawing as much at 60 as 70 I'd have it inspected.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Unless it is extremely cold, you should obtain your best milage when the weather is cooler, rather than warmer. That is assuming it is exactly the same grade of fuel.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
Yes, that's what we typically saw in our DR-unit when we slowed down. I thought we were doing pretty good at 7.0 avg with our T-600,
especially considering that our empty (no freight) weight is 46,280 lbs. With an avg of 15,000 lbs of freight we can't complain.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Not my expierence Dave in the Two winters I drove Expedite.

Winter mileage went down right at 10% and always increased in the Spring around May 1 or little sooner. Both years same results its like one week in early NOV. you could not only hear the drop of the ball but feel it as well.

Now in the Big Truck same result same time of year all of a sudden 7.5 mpg is a thing of the past until hopefully April.

6.8mpg now and less if it is really windy which it has been in Ohio for the last two weeks.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The only other thought would be the idling factor if looking at total fuel consumption. Interesting to say the least. Our worst across all the trucks is in the summer. Maybe too much hot fuel at the J?

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator