Fuel Discounts

nobb4u

Expert Expediter
I have been watching our discounts with TA start to decline as the prices have dropped. I have been speculating for months that as prices drop so will the discount so what I had thought would happen did so today. I checked the cash plus price at TA Harrisburg, PA and the cash price at the Flying J at Carlise, PA and they are .03 cents less at the Flying J and that is before our .03 cent discount for using the T-Chek card. So once again it might pay to look outside the box and not assume because the discounts have made the TA so cheap in the past that they are still the best price we can get.

Just a heads ups.

Last edited:

ihamner

Expert Expediter
Wow, thanks for posting this. We'll need to keep an eye on it for sure!! If it holds in most of the country then going out of our way to get to a TA will not be worth it. Thanks again for the post! Anyone else have an experience with this so far?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Have to do more checking before filling it sounds like.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
So far we must be staying in the right part of the country as the TA discount has been just as huge as ever. This is a good reason though to call ahead and find out what the discount is at a TA you are considering then check the prices at the locations around the TA to see which is a better place to stop. So far TA though is still winning the race for us.

nobb4u

Expert Expediter
I think that was the point I was trying to make, that you need to keep checking and as the prices start to fall the discounts will start to even out. I checked in Wytheville, VA and the discount at the TA is better than the J.
So I am just giving a heads up not to fall into the same old routine, just because in the past it was the better way to go it might not be in the future.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I have found that Im back to price checking,the TA discount isnt as good as it was,at some locations the TA discount price isnt as good as their competition in the same area.With Flying J going into banckrupsy court,to many of their stations are short of fuel.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm in Dallas and the T/A discount at the 3 around here are all fairly poor but I checked the other majors and they weren't any better so I stuck with T/A this time. It appears that below $2.50 is the point where the discounts may not be better than the fixed discount at the others.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
They might at times be cheaper at the J,but I am sticking with TA with Pilot as a second choice.

The reason? We have been burned too many times by the J with crappy fuel. i.e. water in the fuel. I just hate having to get out and drain the racor filter after getting a tankful of their crap.

BTW,the J in Ashtabula,OH is one of the biggest offenders.:mad:

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter
They might at times be cheaper at the J,but I am sticking with TA with Pilot as a second choice.

The reason? We have been burned too many times by the J with crappy fuel. i.e. water in the fuel. I just hate having to get out and drain the racor filter after getting a tankful of their crap.

BTW,the J in Ashtabula,OH is one of the biggest offenders.:mad:

Have fueled many times at the J in Ashtabula,OH, never had a problem with their fuel.