Fuel Additives for Winter

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
I've always had great luck with Power Service additives. With the generator running your keeping fuel moving but not really warm enough to avoid gelling. A little additive goes a long way. Buy it by the case and save or better yet, Walmart's are carrying this product now, so stock upand be ready for winter. Good luck and keep us posted what works for you.

Thunderboldt

Expert Expediter
Glen is correct in suggesting the Power Service brand.That has been my number one choice,too.What you really need to start with is a high quality,name brand fuel from a high volume dealer... Paul

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Power Service or Howes. Both seem to work about the same. Use only in extreme climates as we run heated fuel tanks.
Davekc

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I use Howes Meaner Cleaner both in summer and winter,average price is about $9.99 and lasts for 3 fillups. I get about 1 mpg better with it then without it and have never had gelling problems. Power Service also seems to work well.

NEVERHOME247

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I use Howes on occassion. I had a fuel line freeze up a few years ago, running out west. I put in power service 911. And it took care of it. I now keep a bottle in the side box during the winter months. It seems to be good stuff.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
myself use bnd automotive tk7 1 gallon treat's 2000 gal's of fuel and
if you add up the cost of all the other's this is better and
does more, one oz treat's 15 gals of fuel
also with the new 2006 fuel coming out this will take care of
engine problems that will becoming up with low sulfur in fuel
also take care of water, gel, and give's you about 1.5 miles per
gallon,also good to 19 below, starts quicker and run sooner in winter
time i like it

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Here is an idea you may want to keep in mind. My company does a lot of work in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan's upper peninsula. During the past 3 winters I have not had any problems will fuel gelling. The fist two winters I used a trick my trainer told me. This guy was 82 years old and drove over-the-road all of his life. He said one thing is to keep you fuel tanks about half full. The fuel pump supplies more fuel to the engine than it will use. The excess fuel is then returned or sent on to the second tank. In the process, that fuel is heated as it passes through the engine. He swore that gelling was never a problem for him. Last winter I started using Howe's, but I still only fill the tanks about 75%.

Drive Safe.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Depending on the climate, especially going from a warm climate to cold, condensation that freezes could be an issue. The old timer is right for the time. Older trucks that go 4 MPG did return fuel faster to the tank. Newer trucks return the fuel at a much slower rate. As some still do it, you can on occasion add a capful of alcohol to the tanks. In fact he may have been doing that.
Some folks have a heated seperator that are excellent or in my case, heated tanks. Heated seperator is better. I wish I had one.
Davekc