Front-end alignment

vipra

Expert Expediter
My 2004 Sprinter has 250K miles and I've never done a front-end alignment. Is it necessary? My tires are wearing perfectly evenly.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
i remember my mechnanic telling me once because my tires were wore perfectly I could still have a perfect mis alignment.*lol*

No really, Does it give you cause to think you should need one?

When I have mine (2005) in for regular service I have tech check out all the visual front-end ie: tie rods, ball joints, control arms, idler arm.
And lift front wheels up down in out to check for bearings.
I also have it checked for any leaks or seepers(wet hoses) and a general once around for that feel good thingee.

If all looks good I wouldn't have one done.

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
I would get a front end alignment. Especially if you have ever ONCE been to detroit. That will eat an alignment up real quick. Its cheap insurance too since they check to make sure your ball joints and tie rods are in working order.

Also i may rec getting the rear wheels checked out as well (most time they do this with the fronts)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If the vehicle or tires exhibit no signs of alignment problems, then there is no reason to have them aligned, unless you know you've hit something out of the ordinary, like a really deep pothole that rattles everything in the van - your brains included, or slammed into a 4x4 laying out on the road, something like that. If there is uneven wear, have the alignment checked. If it pulls or drifts to the side when it shouldn't, have it aligned. If it pulls when you break, it could either be alignment or breaks (or tires out of balance). Have them checked. No need to have a set schedule for alignment. Also, even in Detroit, rough roads aren't as likely to throw the alignment, as long as the roads are relatively evenly rough and your suspension is working properly. It's the abnormal wham! that does it.

I had mine aligned a while back, then two days later I hit a pothole that I'm surprised I was able to drive out of. Had it aligned again the next day, and it needed it, bad, even though I couldn't feel any difference in the handling.

I have nitrogen in my tires, so I can't have them rotated just any ol' place (different pressures in front-55 and back-80). I rotate them every 20,000 miles, and each time I have them carefully inspected for uneven wear. So far, so good. If I didn't have nitrogen in there, I'd probably have them rotated every 8000-10,000 miles.

I've got 87,000 miles on these tires, and based on current treadwear I should be able to get 120,000 or so on these before any of them get to the 4/32 mark (the magic number for steers).

This weekend I'm installing the heavy duty anti sway bar and the Koni shocks and struts. I'll keep you informed. :)

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
It's the abnormal wham! that does it.

Yeah ...... yesterday I hit one in the MC ..... just after where I94 dumps you out on I75 SB .... musta been a good 2' across and 10" deep at least ........ thought all the fillings in my teeth were gonna drop out. The last one I hit before that was just up the road a bit ..... going north on I94 just before it turns and heads east. ...... then there's that lovely bridge/overpass on I75 just south of the MC - looks to be pretty new - concrete surface ..... but it appears that they intentionally made the surface very rough (made for winter traction ?) - it's like driving over a washboard. ...... I love Detroit ...... can ya tell ?

Now, being from Ohio I'm a bit reluctant to critize (something about people in glass houses .... ) .... but you would think that having such horrid road conditions on a major interstate would cause the governor or the Mayor of Detroit to want to run down to Home Depot or Lowes and grab a bag or two of asphalt patch and a rake and dump it in there late some night - just to avoid the embarassment .......

BTW, the only thing that can be set on a Sprinter's aligment from what I understand is the toe-in - all the rest is non-adjustable (except by replacing parts) - as a consequence of the front strut suspension.

I had mine adjusted awhile back and the service writer said everything looked good (within spec) - except for the toe-in on the right front wheel .... it was way out. They adjusted it and were able to bring it back near spec, but not able to set it exactly to spec. I was in a hurry when I picked it up and didn't query it any further. I need to get it back and have it rechecked after hitting the two caverns mentioned above. The impacts were hard enough I wouldn't be surprised if it bent something.

Ken, definitely want to hear how ya like the Koni's - and let us know what you think about the new sway bar.

Marty

Veteran Expediter
Hi Rlent,

How do you like your antisway bar so far? Also your air bags.
I bought your spare antisway bar(sort of speak) from Akron's Camping World. I haven't gotten on the road since then so I haven't had the opportunity to try them out yet. I'll let you know after I do. I also had Konis put on at the same time.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Marty,

I love it - it has made driving the Sprinter much less fatiguing when there is significant crosswinds and when semi's go flying by. Before I installed it I was getting pushed around all over the place due to the Sprinters high profile catching the wind and inadequate stock swaybar. I still get pushed but now there is much less effort required to keep the vehicle tracking straight.

There were more than a couple of times that I was driving in confined construction areas, with narrow lanes and concrete barriers on both sides of two lane highway and I thought that I was going to get pushed into the wall by semi's blowing by at high rates of speed. (Why do supposedly "professional" drivers do this @#$! ....... ? BTW, whenever I observe this kind of behavior - along with tailgating 4 wheelers less than a car length away at 60+ mph, I call and report 'em - no hesitation on my part - it's just incredibly stupid behavior. These type of drivers are a disgrace to the profession and have no business on the road IMHO)

The air springs are great as well - I'm able to maintain rear height with heavy loads and they stiffen up the rear suspension and help further to reduce body roll when the vehicle is loaded.

Glad to hear Camping World was able to hook ya up. Let us know how you like the Konis once you get a chance to take 'er out on a run.

Marty

Veteran Expediter
Hi RLENT,

I love the anti-sway bar. It has made a big difference. I had a 3000lb load on the Sprinter and it no longer swayed from side-to-side like a boat in rough waters, as it has done previously with that much weight.
The Konis are equally impressive especially compared to the stock shocks. I have mine set at about 80% stiff and ride is much more controlled. I no longer feel as if I was driving a four footed pogo stick.

Negative: The Sprinter is no longer a challenge to drive, especially under adverse road and weather conditions. No more manly stories over a cup of coffee about how I survived another run though howling winds. Or how I managed to keep the Sprinter on the road after being passed by a Semi through crosswinds.

Positive: Driving over long distances is much less tiring.

Marty