Front Brakes

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I wonder if anyone has any knowledge or has experienced a shiimy in the steering wheel when the brakes are applied. It happens in my truck when I am slowwing down with medium to light braking pressure. Seems to start at about 20 mph,if I release the brakes the shimmy stops. If I continue with real light braking it seems to shimmy with each rotation of the wheels, and has a slight pull to the right.

Think it might be a bad wheel or drum,truck was Class one DOT'Ed by the nice guys in Ohio 3 weeks ago and they said the brakes were OK.

Truck is a 96 FL 70 with new steer tires and has 840 K on it,shimmy was there before the tires were replaced. Any info that doesn't involve spending big bucks would be appreciated.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If brakes checked out ok, it could be the brake springs, air chamber, or actuator. Any issues with these will not show up in a DOT inspection except possibly a missing spring. The good news is that it is not likely a high dollar repair.
The only other distant shot on some trucks would be the link on the anti-brake module. If that has a failure, it will usually actuate your dash warning light if equipped.
Forgot to mention, while common, a cracked drum or damaged shoe usually won't give your symptoms. A damaged shoe will make noise continously whether the brakes are applied or not, and a cracked drum will have noise associated when brakes are applied.

Davekc
owner
21 years

raceman

Veteran Expediter
This actually should not be looked at as just a brake problem. Sometimes bearings or joints will shake as pressure is applied to brakes and it will then go away as you stablilize by more pressure. I am sure I am not explaining this well on here but the bottom line is it can be some other issue in the front end.

On a car or small truck this can be ball joints well you get the idea.

Raceman
OTR O/O

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
Sounds like King pins or sloppy tie rods or steering joints to me. Better get it checked out at a reputable tire/alignment shop.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
In response to message #0

Sounds like King pins or sloppy tie rods or steering joints to me. Better get it checked out at a reputable tire/alignment shop.

These could certainly be an issue but he indicated it was only during braking. King pins and tie rod issues will be there all the time. They will also show irregular wear in the steers. Cupping, scalping, or rounding on your steers are some clues as to whether this is the issue. If you have these issues, it certainly could be as Glen mentioned. With regards to bearings, after running at highway speeds for 15 minutes, check temp. at hub. If real hot, then they need replaced or adjusted if they were just put on. We have had a few scenerios were they replaced bearing and tightened them to much.

Davekc

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thanks for the advice,could be bearings as I had them replaced last year,but also cupping on steer tires with 190 K on them. Believe I will go to a front end place,I avoid the local FL dealer as $90.00 per hour for labor is a bit to much..

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I had the same prob in the 106, but as I applied the brakes harder, they would lock and pull me to the right. There's a post on here about that problem from about 6 months ago. It appears to be a common thing for the fl series.

mhoy40

Expert Expediter
I went to western star of monroe for a clutch adjustment and they replaced my tie rods due to a freightliner recall. At no charge to me. Im not sure of the years on the recall but u may want to check on that.