Freightliner transmission nightmare

tknight

Veteran Expediter
w
Only 14 days, trust me that's nothing.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EO Forums

I'm not looking forward to the no income thing any longer, this is getting really stupid, I'll never buy another FL product ever, nor suggest it to friends, they have officially lost any support from me, as if they give a ****!

I love how i'm censored automatically! Smart thing, good thing.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
That is one bout of frustration. Good leaning tool for new and experience folks alike. A major breakdown can be costly. For the experienced, stay away from FLT transmissions. Go with a Eaton or Allison. Hang in there. It has to make a turn at some point.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Thanks Dave, yea learning can be very costly, it's not the flt transmission it's a mercedes-benz. In the meantime, If I had taken this to stoops, the bill would be aproaching 12k right now, as discount on parts is not in their operating plan. I was lucky to source the parts from many fl dealers, and compared pricing, it varied a bit, no consistency there on these. The lack of proper paper is what is the hardest thing to deal with, seriously in this day and age, there should be documentation at all levels when they sell you parts, I'm going to go in the morning and take pics of all the tags and such on the trans to help me out, if I can get to them, as the trans is in the truck already, there is little info as to numbers on the invoice.

tk

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Have to admire your dedication to task. Many would have given up or paid the 12k to Stoops which would have meant taking it to another dealer and starting over or waiting a month.
Took them two weeks to figure out a ac repair a couple of years ago, can't imagine a job of your magnitude. After two weeks they could only get the cab ac to work and not the sleeper. We had to take it somewhere else and have the rest fixed.

Last edited:

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
Have to admire your dedication to task. Many would have given up or paid the 12k to Stoops which would have meant taking it to another dealer and starting over or waiting a month.
Took them two weeks to figure out a ac repair a couple of years ago, can't imagine a job of your magnitude. After two weeks they could only get the cab ac to work and not the sleeper. We had to take it somewhere else and have the rest fixed.

May I ask where you got a/c fixed ? If you recommend them. I'm driving a freightliner that needs a/c work and would like to stay away from dealerships. Thanks. My apologies for going off topic, and hope better days ahead for the op.

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Ive been following closely and as Im about to buy a Used M2-106 With the MBE 900 series engine and Allison Auto, The thing about oil has me saying with all the Oil manufactureres on the market who I know understand oil and lubricants better then most of the Builders, Mercedes/Detroit says USE NO OIL OTHER THEN THERES, NO ADDITIVES ETC, Now Ive always been a Lucas oil believer but they say NO LUCAS, NO Nobody and I wonder if its so they can buy the oil from Lucas, OEM and then sell it to us for triple of what we could buy it for.....its sounds like youve endured Hell and I hope you dont go POSTAL as you have a right to do, I think the dealers, Parts suppliers, AND Mercedes should read this because its a prime example how not to treat your customer, you know the guy you tell these are Great trucks, When they work, and to the newbies and such this can be you and if you dont have money put back to afford this, your out of business......I think Frightliner owes you a **** giftcard or ???? Imagine all these dealerships that cant find a part...In America....cant source the rebuild or clutch because someone is what controlling the ability of the end user to get decent repairs at a fair price....I think you should copy this entire blog and send it to CUSTOMER SERVICE and ask them WHY that doesnt mean CRAP to you anymore....Keep your humor TK....Hoping this travesty ends soon

tknight

Veteran Expediter
6 hrs into day 15 i finally have the answer, the mounting holes for the clutch slave are on 3.75" centers, the mount plate for the transmission is on 3.00 in centers, after 5 hrs of calls this morning, i finnaly get the word that the adapter plate is missing on the rebuilt trans, seems they left it off at the rebuild facility in mexico, for this brazilian transmission, that is designed in w.germany and fitted into this american truck.If there was any shred of documentation, this would have been solved a few days ago. So they are sending it to me, so they say express ups, and hopefully i'll be on the road friday afternoon sometime, just in time to dead head home to wait for Mondays freight! Of course after i stop and pay $85 an hr to get a quart of the golden elixer added to the transmission because they sold me the wrong amount.Maybe I'll go rent a car and drive there to save on the labor charge of adding it.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
May I ask where you got a/c fixed ? If you recommend them. I'm driving a freightliner that needs a/c work and would like to stay away from dealerships. Thanks. My apologies for going off topic, and hope better days ahead for the op.

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

In our case they stripped a fitting on the J-Block which needed fixed and a new hose installed. Had it done at Scotts Commercial in Toledo. In and out in 3 hours.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Lost track of the daze. Truck will be done by 5pm today god willing and parts all fit and function well had to buy an additional quart of mb approved trans oli at stoops who had nothing to put it into
So i drove to a gas station and went dumpster diving for a quart motor oil bottle to have them fill .task done another 14.00 told ya the adding machine is still running
Wish me luck! Next post will be a happy one while i head to a reakin beacon to give her a bath!

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Omg omg g I got my blackie back on thr road just now weeeeee back home jobs first thing on the road monday! Yesssss.a huge thanks to jim sweeny @reliable transmission dayton and his crew if you need allison work he is the man! Very fair price for the crap he had to put up with (me)
Last post
Subject closed