Freightliner transmission nightmare

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I am currently stranded with my tru k in dayton ohio my 6 speed freightliner m2 transmission has blown all gears and i beleive destroyed.after hours of calls it seems the transmission isnt availBle in the usa has to be shipped fro
W germany or whereever its built or rebuilt.nice huh i have also scoured the internet with no luck seems mb has a tight hold on repair units 4600.00 for a rebuilt unit if i can Even get it any ideas no one in dayton other than stoops will touch rhis and they ae theives in my book estimated over 10 g for parts and labor includimg new clutch
Tk

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Did you try Weller? They stock a lot of rebuilt transmissions and rear ends.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Theres a place that people get the rebuilt Mercedes Trans in sprinters u might try them. I want to say its called silverstar in Oklahoma but probably wrong. Ask Ovm or theenemy they both have bought them.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EO Forums

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Xiggi is correct, there is a transmission re-builder in Edmond, OK, Silver Star. Silver Star Transmission - Mercedes-Benz, Dodge Sprinter There have been some posts on E.O. about them. I believe they only re-build automobile/Sprinter automatic transmissions. It might be worth a call anyway, if they don't do truck transmissions, maybe they could recommend another source.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I will post all numbers sunday for group detective work!
Thanks i have time now probaby be down for at least 3 to 4 weeks

zorry

Veteran Expediter
How about calling Ellanbaum (sp ?). Large expedite truck dealer in Mi. He advertises here. I would think he may have a source.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
Not sure if these will work, or could be retrofitted in to your truck.

it's a manual.. I don't honestly think they know what it is or they would have listed it (maybe it's the benz holly grail?)
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/pts/2903652350.html

2008 Freightliner Business Class M-2 parts

It has a 5 speed in it (auto?). It was listed by a wrecker, so maybe the have more?

Transmission
Freightliner
FULLER 6SP, MOD#FS5406A,CAT/312675,000AB70502$2250.91Gundies Auto Recycling USA-WA(Seattle-Portland) Request_Quote 1-800-444-4344 Request_Insurance_Quote
Transmission
Freightliner
Man,RWD,MODEL FSO 6406A,SERIE 60248796-0K18802$2000Rastro 74 Used Auto Parts USA-FL(Medley) E-mail 1-305-592-6478 / 1-888-592-6478
http://www.truckparts.org/vehicle/truckparts/freightliner-m2_106v-transmissiongearbox-379841.html

Last edited:

tknight

Veteran Expediter
The last 6 of my vin, which is all frightliner requires is N34569
The actual frightliner part number for the transmission ABP R26 P660MECXC01
They also had the number APB R26 P9763603779

Frightliner gave me this one first, and a price of 3,069 73, then they said this was a discontued part, and replaced it with the top number I listed, at a price of 4476.37 Seems someone in the parts higher up, changed the number for the same unit, and jacked the price up, seems like sop for them, as I have never gotten the same answers on anything from FL.

MBT 660 seems to be a common transmission, makes sense, maybe because it"s part of the part numbers I have gotten?

Having the truck towed to a shop in Dayton, who said they would remove the tran, and related parts, I will then be able to get a real part number off the tag on it, and maybe then I will get some real answers, by the way, thanks for the leads, this is a 6 speed manual trans, and I won't evn consider trying to change brands, or type of tran, due to the nature of this headache of parts id, and locating in the future, just seems like that would be a bigger can of worms, much more than struggling to get answers on a truck off a freightliner dealer lot.
I never would have thought this to be such a problem.

JUST WHAT IS AN AUTOMATED TRANSMISSION?
Mine is a 6 speed manual shift, but the mbt 660 says its an automated tran, whats so automated about a manual shift trans?

tk

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It probably means it is a synchronized transmission. Basically no double clutching.
I would shop that transmission a bit. I also would tow it half away across the country before I would let a Stoops shop touch it based on their performances in 2010 with several vehicles. Haven't had a truck there since.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I believe an automated transmission is a manual trans that has computers that shift it for you. An autoshift is a manual trans that is automated. An Allison,is an automatic transmission.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Since you have a shop pulling it out, remember you can have one expedited in from far away very quickly in this day and age.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Not sure it would shift the gears for you since he said it had a clutch.