freightliner parts

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Is it just my own experiences, or do they have any parts for anything they sell?
We had a breakdown from hell because of a split top radiator hose. After two road side repairs and a final tow to location, we had one delivered from Springfield, IL to Decatur, IL. When asked for lower hoses, there weren't any for 400 miles. Good thing they weren't needed for the repair.

Between two roadside service calls,tow bill and the actual $40.00 hose we wasted way too much time, effort and money.

They really (Freightliner) needs to address these kinds of issues.
Some locations even had the nerve to tell me they could work it in within a couple of weeks. What's up with that?
I will say we had outstanding service from Freightliner in Springfield(they had the part) and Decatur for getting it repaired in a very timely manner

Kudos to my team (Chet and Brenda), MarcR @ Panther for having patience through a stressful two days.

I feel better now.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I think one of the most important things you can do is to establish and maintain a good relationship with your local dealer. I have dealt with Tom Nehl in Jacksonville since 1988. There have been times when I have been ready to really vent but have kept my emotions in check.

I know the Service Manager well and he has told me,"If you need help on the road and feel you are getting a run around,call me, we all go to the same seminars and most of us know each other." He continued"The salesman will sell you the first truck but I will sell you the next one." One time I needed help in Flagstaff AZ,no F/L dealers closer then Phoenix. A Peterbuilt guy identified the problem and my home service manager FEDEXED out the necessary parts.

Right now I am down with broken bolts that hold the exhaust manifold to the engine block. Unfortunately the head had to be removed and the bolts drilled out and so on. But I have been kept abreast of everything and I appreciate it.

I remember back when I had Mercedes Benz trucks. If you needed a part and it was not supplied within 48 business hours it was free. Sadly those days seem to have gone away.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think you are right. We have a good one with KW of Jacksonville. Haven't owned any Freightliners in awhile so I think that is something I need to pursue.
Maybe I will have better luck with parts availability.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I agree. It's critical to have a good relationship with your local dealer. That's probably the biggest reason why I no-longer own a Freightliner. I could not get that relationship going and I just didn't feel like I could trust him. If I ever return to a "D" sized truck I'll buy a T300. The Kenworth dealer here has a much better reputation and besides it's a real good truck.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Freightliner never has anything I need. Never. I used to get the "couple of weeks" talk as well. I finally found a good mechanic and simply no longer rely on FTRLNR. They are horrible and seem to just not care.

It appears to me they are a place for big company trucks. They send the drivers to hotels and just take their time to order needed parts and for the repair.

I have made freinds with a number of the people here in town at the Freightliner and still get no service. It is unreal

Raceman
OTR O/O

FlameMerc

Expert Expediter
Well Guys, I own a KW T-300 and Love it. But I can't say I'm any to happy with the Dealerships here in Michigan. I have been trying to buy a 100 gal Fuel tank for over two weeks now and made 3 phone calls to the Dealer in Grand Rapids. No Reply.

Give up on them and called twice now to D&H KW in Dearborn. Same story NO Reply. Whats up with them? I guess they don't want my Business. I need to get this done before I can put the Generator on. I'm not sure where I can get this done if not at KW.

Any Idea's? Happy New Year...Butch.. x( x( x(

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We ruled Freightliner out as a new-truck purchase option after repeated frustrations with Freightliner service departments. We've had some really BAD experiences at Freightliner service departments that range from parts out of stock, misdiagnosed symptoms, and seeing our fleet owner charged for repairs that were unecessary, and after that seeing the fleet owner's complaints about it being totally ignored by the service manager that had his "Please contact me if you are not satisfied" picture and letter posted on the shop wall.

The one that takes the cake was when I was standing at the counter when the phone rang. The service counter man answered the call. My wife was calling on her cell phone to see how the truck was doing. He said the parts just arrived and we're working on it now. I could see the truck sitting in the lot where it had been sitting all day. I also saw the parts arrive early that morning and verified with the parts department that they were mine. The previous-shift service manager promised us they'd get right to the truck when the morning shift came on. Nothing happened and I was now talking to the evening shift people. The delay didn't bother me as much as the calculated lying that occured. When I confronted the man about it, he stood right there and denied he said what I just heard him say a moment ago.

At another dealer, the mechanic replaced three parts before he finally guessed the one that actually fixed the problem. Based on previous experience, it amazed me that Freightliner had the three parts in stock.

At another dealer, I helped my fleet owner negotiate a reduction in labor when I explained that the mechanic literally spent two hours looking for a shop-provided wrench (tool room) he needed to use in the repair.

At another dealer, I watched them replace a perfectly good city horn and charge FREIGHTLINER for labor under warranty (I presume, or they ate the charges for an unecessary repair). The problem was that when the steering column had been replaced on this BRAND NEW truck, the previous dealer forgot to reconnect the city horn. We were in the shop for another reason (a failed valve on this same brand new truck) at a different dealer and I asked them to hook it up. Result: condemn a brand new horn and bill Freightliner for the trouble or eat the charges themselves. That's the same brand new truck that also had a recall to replace an injector harness.

In the Century Class trucks we've driven, front brake air hoses have frequently failed and we've learned to keep a special eye on them. Two out of three times we've had them replaced, we had to wait for the parts to arrive....that's for a brake hose for which service bulletins have been issued, and which only one of the three dealers knew about when we brought the service bulletins to their attention.

I could fill a book chapter about our negative Freightliner service experiences. In the interest of brevity I'll stop here. I can't say from personal experience if other truck brand dealers are better than Freightliner, but it is hard to imagine them being any worse.

On the positive side, we've had FANTASTIC experiences with Freightliner dealers in Roanoke, VA, Cheyene, WY, and West Palm Beach, FL. Most other dealers would do well to follow the positive examples followed by those three.

West Palm Beach stands out especially. While under a great-paying load out of Florida, our alternator failed. We called ahead. They were waiting for us when we arrived. We were in and out quickly and did not lose the load. This service manager explained that not everyone needs first-come, first-serve service. He tries to keep a bay open for immediate-need cases like ours. In our case, the bay was not open but he nosed the truck in, assigned a mechanic and got the job done.

High praise to Freightliner in West Palm Beach!

Sadly, a few good dealers are not enough to offset the many bad ones we've encountered. The suggestion about maintaining a good relationship with your home dealer may be helpful, but why should it be necessary to do so at all? Good service from all dealers, or at least an honest attempt to provide it, is the solution.

With truck sales at very high levels, I worry that quality control at the manufacturers may be declining as they add shifts and race to fill demand. This will burden dealers in the future with warranty claims. In Freightliner's case, where the shop bays always seem to have a line waiting for them, things do not look good.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a friend that lives in Lincoln Park and has a T-300. He uses the dealership in Toledo and has been very happy.

Packmule

Expert Expediter
A Team,

I agree with you. The "one" good Freightliner Dealership we have come across has been Roanoke, VA. Sad to say, We have been to a lot of Freightliner dealers this past year and I will not began to write about the lies and bad service we have encountered at most of them. It's terrible and there is no QC at any of them. You know it's bad when I have to say "I get better and much quicker service at the TA's". And what is really amazing They have Inventory !!!
On the other hand I have friends and have heard drivers of KW's Peterbuilts, and Volvo's complain about the same problems. So maybe this is an Industry SNAFU. or Standard operating procedure for all Truck dealerships.
Seems that the folks at KW,Peterbuilt, & FTL Corp. would take action on some of these dealerships after enough negative reports were received but that's not going to happen either so we just learn to live with a bad situation.
I too would like to find a good deisel mechanic with his own shop and just stay away from the dealerships as much as possible.

Happy New Year,

Dan

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Probably the best repair facility is to find a local Service and Repair ONLY company. The type of shop that deal with the local dump trucks,the local day cab guys etc. This type of shop cannot afford to get a bad reputation as service is their only income.
Unfortunately this may work at home but when you are stranded in Minneapolis you are still at the mercy of the dealer. I have heard of horror stories about dealers of all of the makes, in addition to F/L ,Volvo and Int'l plus Mack guys can all tell similar stories.
Makes you wonder ,why havn't ex drivers started up repair facilities.

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
>
>Makes you wonder ,why havn't ex drivers started up repair
>facilities.
>

Like competent drivers, skilled technicians are tough to come by.
Labor rates go up...tech pay stays the same.
Special service tools cost a lot of$$$...dealer buys only the minimum.
Mfg. training costs$$$$$...dealer sends minimum # of techs to classes.
The shop is not the profit center in a dealership...it's usually the wholesale parts biz.

When I quit my last position as a tech, I considered (for about a nano-second) opening my own shop. The initial investment would have been higher than a pair of new class 8 White Glove rigs. Mo' better, for me at least, buying a truck and being a driver that service managers can't b******t!

Rex

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I stopped at the FL dealer in Troy, IL. to get oil filters for the MBE in the Sterling. I took the boxes and left. Several weeks later when I went somewhere for a PM I pulled out the boxes and they told me one was an oil filter for my truck and one was some other filter for a different engine. Luckily they had the filters and didn't need either one or I'd have had a 50/50 chance of being out of luck.

Leo Bricker, owner trucks 3034, 4958
OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
EO Forum Moderator 1+ Years of Service
Expediters Online.com - The Best is Getting Better!
-----
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Sadly, it seems this is a reoccurring theme. My best luck has been with KW. Peterbuilt has been good as well but shop rates are generally higher.
It does start to limit prospective new trucks. Sterling and Western Star are the same brand with different dealers so maybe their service might be alittle better?

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
FL/Western Star dealer in Monroe, Mi told me about 3 days before they could get my truck in for a pm. I bought the filters and belts and took off. Not bad... $95 for two sets of oil and fuel filters and a serpentine belt.

The Gibster

Expert Expediter
We watched for about a year and a half as Freightliner went from having a couple of parts available and would get a part for you the next day, to stocking no parts and forcing you to pay the airfreight bill or wait till Tuesday of next week's parts run for the now Merceded Benz marked boxes. We experienced the worst customer service every time and finally decided to take our biz elsewhere.

So we had Piedmont Peterbilt put in the new engine, have gone direct to Cummins as needed twice and been marveled at their service, and have a lot of work done at Petro's! Elkton, Maryland Petro has a couple of old wrenches there that have about 70 years experience between them.

When you can find knowledge like that on the road, take advantage of it!

The Gibster

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
We watched for about a year and a half as Freightliner went from having a couple of parts available and would get a part for you the next day, to stocking no parts and forcing you to pay the airfreight bill or wait till Tuesday of next week's parts run for the now Merceded Benz marked boxes. We experienced the worst customer service every time and finally decided to take our biz elsewhere
==================================================================
This is slowly becoming our experience. They may or may not wake up, but it will be the last Freightliner I buy unless there is a change. Went to replace lower radiator hose ......and you quessed it....none on a 400 mile radius of Chicago. It is a two piece assembly with one part available in a Memphis warehouse. One and only one part. I may have to have one (second half)fabricated. They have no clue as to how to get the second part. Freightliner said I should have bought a different vehicle. They may be on to something? Sad to say the least.
It is only a radiator hose, not a gold plated door handle made only in Europe.
A warehouse in Atlanta and Reno may turn one up? Not desperate but I know they are ready for service.
Frustrating to say the least.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Packmule

Expert Expediter
Dave,
I have one of those $900.00 lower radiator hoses on my truck too.
After weekend tow and service call, 2 days hotel, and next day air shipping, the $130.00 hose cost me $900.00. I try to say "Oh well another good tax write off."
but somehow the words won't come.
Could we be in the wrong business? If we collectively put our capitol togeather and started producing after market FL parts and stocked them for immedient delivery, we could all retire in a few years.
And if cows could fly.......
Dan

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
That is what I am thinking. At $900 you got off cheap.
Our upper hose broke and finally found one in Springfield and had it shipped to Decatur next day.
It would have been nice to have a available hose on the first call.
Lets see
800 between two service calls,no parts
1100 tow to decatur with a load.
400 in hotels
1700 in a dropped injector sleeve. Engine developed a hot spot when hose split. A year and a half old hose...go figure.
Almost $4000 in total cost for a single repair.
Go Freightliner!!!

And as mentioned, looking for lower ones and no where to be found as of today. Hopefully they turn up or I will have to get creative.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Packmule

Expert Expediter
Dave,
I never realized what a lucky guy I am. wow after your story I feel like I got a bargain, NOT!!!!
Now you've got me worried, you say 1-1/2 year old hose split? Hummm, does this mean I have about 7 more months on mine?? Maybe I should go ahead and order one now and maybe it will be in by then.

Dan

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Pack... you may not be far off with that assumption LOL

Wolverine FL in Ypsilanti has to be the worst. Checking the hoses, they busted one... probably with a screwdriver. Said it was burst. I found out it my temp gauge. Tap on the glass, good to go. Well... they charged me over $700 to fix a hose THEY broke! Hell if those bastiges get my business again.

Wolverine FL in Dearborn isn't much better. They didn't drain my oil all the way, and neglected to tell me someone used an airgun on my oil plug and they couldn't get it off. So they drained what they could and filled it back up. They also didn't check my radiator level. I had to tell them they missed it. I thought there were steps to do a PM properly.

FL in Grand Rapids does a good job, usually. They were a little high on changing my wiper arm assy. 2-1/2 hours labor that took a little over an hour. But the pm they did was top notch.

I now use locals to do my work. Arrow in Detroit is good for major repairs, tho high priced for pms ($260 for an FL106). They stand by their work tho, so maybe that's not too high a price for quality. As far as FL is concerned, I don't have alot of use for their shops. You hafta be so dammed particular about who you take it to anymore. Seems like 75% of them want to take you to the cleaners.